Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2020 9:53:29 PM EDT
I like wood working and building things.  So, I thought it would be fun to try and build one.  But who's lower to buy?  Is the end product reliable and accurate, or am I just wasting my time?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
A family member that cannot operate a screwdriver built one easily. Polymer 80. It’s actually more involved to put an AR together from a kit than to build an 80% glock. Probably more involved to clean an AR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The version 2 of their P80 frames are better than the first version.  If I could trade in my two V1 frames for 1 V2, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you cant buy one legally youre better off getting the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you cant buy one legally youre better off getting the real deal.
View Quote

This.  I did a couple for fun. They were under $400 complete. I got them at MDX when they had them on sale.

I didn't use a dremel on mine. I used a hacksaw blade, a large flat file and a cordless drill.

I found the dremel could get away from you. It's better to take material off slowly. You can't put it back on

The problem I found it the alignment with the front locking block and the rear rails.  I used a straight edge to line them up and then drilled the holes.

The alignment did change after shooting under 100 rounds.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a regular 26. Then bought an 80% to replace the frame. I really liked it. Points way better and after one range visit I had it 100% reliable.

Sold it to a buddy that wanted it much more than I did, and sold the left over frame.

I would/will build again when part kits come down to reasonable
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ve built several, when you’ve seen  comments “It won’t run!”, typically they are running aftermarket parts.

Everyone I’ve built I’ve used factory Glock parts, they’ve all ran perfectly.

Tolerance stacking
View Quote

Interesting.  I found that the locking block on the P80 kits varied in width.  I had a slide I couldn’t get on.  I had to file and polish it to get it to wirk
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two that function perfectly. I can also legally own the "real thing" but hate the Glock grip angle. P80's are easy and fun for those that like to tinker. I use all Glock parts and toss the P80 stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck finding parts to complete for less than an arm and a leg. I've had my frame for a month and half, just now getting my pins and parts in the mail. I've had to piece together all the parts, and so its gotten expensive, with multiple vendors and shipping. I would strongly recommend buying an off-the-shelf Glock...provided you can find one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I did one last summer. set it up on a mill at work, used a hand drill for the holes. Put in all Glock oem parts, Brownells slide and Faxon barrel. Took it to the range and it was flawless. By the end of the summer I had built 8 in total and ended up using snips, hand file and dermel in the rsa channel. The only problem I had was one front rail was out of spec and P80 took care of it fast and the other issue was a Swenson slide from Midway that I ended up fixing myself. I also helped my brother in law build one as well. I still have to put a slide on number 8 but prices are on the rise so I'm going to wait a bit, it is currently on a mech tech carbine upper.

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Because I had a hard time finding a available P80 frame I ended up buying one of the GGP serialized frames from AIM Surplus. I bought one of AIM's unmarked plain slides and used OEM kits to finish the frames and slide. I had two FTE/FTF with the first two shots but it ran fine after that. Was using Magpul 17rd mags that trip to the range. Going to try it with Korean 17rd mags next trip.

Only built it because I wanted a sidearm to go along with the Glock pattern 9mm AR pistol I bought last Christmas.

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a regular 26. Then bought an 80% to replace the frame. I really liked it. Points way better and after one range visit I had it 100% reliable.
View Quote

That can be a big upside for some people. The factory compact frames (19, 23, etc.) do not fit my hands well at all but the P80 compact frame fits like a glove.

One of the biggest downsides IMO is I wish these aftermarket frame makers wouldn't get so funky with the trigger guard. Undercut it (or double undercut it) sure but keep the basic Glock shape so that these frames are compatible with standard Glock holsters.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I did a G23 a couple years back.  Been meaning to getting around to doing another one, looks like it's going to have to wait a while now.  Mine altogether ended up costing ~$425.  I got a 50% discount code (up to $150off) from 5D tactical for making a video with their router jig so I basically got the frame kit for free & the parts kit for real cheap.  Got a BCA threaded SS barrel for ~$35, also picked up the same style barrel for a G22 for the same price.  The BCA barrel is actually more accurate than the factory barrel.  A couple pics with the SS barrel & with a factory barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top