Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/25/2020 7:35:37 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Purchased gun for my grandson we were taking turns shooting it. We had  Ran about 5 mags through it and it was my turn to shoot. I pulled the trigger 1st round out of that mag I felt stuff hit me in the face gun jammed I looked down to clear it and noticed the extractor gone and slide crack. Guess I will be calling Glock Monday.

Update

Glock does have my gun. I spoke with them today. They are going to send me a new gun. Thank you Glock. I was not able to get a determination of what they found on their investigation of my gun. I will tell u that I have 100% confidence in Glock products. I even purchased another G44 after my kaboom. I have ran over 500 rounds of Cci 40 gr 36 gr and Remington golden hollowpoints. With zero I say zero problems. No FTF No FTE no problems of any kind. I personally believe that with the amount of guns manufactured its inevitable that a few come out bad. I just happened to get one. 45 years of shooting and this was my first kaboom ever I guess I was due. I will give more info when I get it from Glock. In closing, I own several Glocks and will buy several more. A Glock pistol it what I will use to defend myself if my life was on the line.

Thanks J. Gibson
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo specs?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch! Was looking to buy one of these.

Maybe I'll wait until they iron out the bugs, yikes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
bad reloads obviously....  jk op.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
never saw a .22 LR that ever kaboomed.  Maybe I just don't get out enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
never saw a .22 LR that ever kaboomed.  Maybe I just don't get out enough.
View Quote
I highly doubt I'd ever see my 22/45 kaboom.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
what 22 ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester  ammo.  Been shooting over 45 years I'm 52. Shot all kinds of stuff. First gun I have ever had this happen to. Never thought this would happen with a 22.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy shizz. How can a .22lr get kaboomed....?
I didn't think such a thing was possible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Squib
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Squib
View Quote
Barrel looks undamaged and clear. Guess will see what Glock can find out. It's going back as soon as I can get someone on the phone Monday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
MIM defect ??
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MIM defect ??
View Quote
The cracked area is polymer not MIM, if that is what you are referring to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That's interesting.  That's directly underneath the "port" in the top of the slide in front of the rear iron sight, correct?  Someone suggested this is a point at which the polymer attaches to the steel rails, although I've never heard anyone else confirm this.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a good start for Glock.

I've been around millions of rounds fired on the range.  Everything from .22's to machine guns, grenade launchers, and recoilless rockets.  Seen plenty of kabooms.

I've never seen one from a .22  before.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ouch! Was looking to buy one of these.

Maybe I'll wait until they iron out the bugs, yikes.
View Quote
Sometimes bad things happen and that’s unfortunate but Glock will likely take care of it.

I put over 600 rounds through mine the first day out without any trouble.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Well this is not what I wanted to see. Let us know what Glock says.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, OP. I’m glad you guys are okay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a dumb question ... were you inside or out?  If you were outside, what was the temperature?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a dumb question ... were you inside or out?  If you were outside, what was the temperature?
View Quote
Outside, temp around 45
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not a good start for Glock.

I've been around millions of rounds fired on the range.  Everything from .22's to machine guns, grenade launchers, and recoilless rockets.  Seen plenty of kabooms.

I've never seen one from a .22  before.
View Quote
Ditto.  That looks like a metalurgical/design failure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn, OP. I’m glad you guys are okay.
View Quote
Yes both ok. Grandson is 8 has been shooting for 2 years. It was my turn to shoot thank goodness.  He only has hurt feelings. He has always wanted a Glock like his PaPa. So when this came out I knew I had to get it. Traded his walther p22 in on it. He was jacked. He's a little disappointed to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
It looks like the first round out of the mag failed to completely seat/chamber and fired out of battery.  The head of the rimfire case ruptured and blew out the extractor and damaged the polymer.  I've experienced numerous OOB with 22 long rifle ammo over the years with blow back 22 rifles.    I can't remember any with a pistol but I'm betting you had an out of battery ignition.

Remington Golden bullets are terrible about having loose crimped bullets and oversized bullets.  I've had Remington Golden bullets fail to chamber completely so much I quit buying them.   The Remington Golden Bullets work in my Advantage Arms conversion but the poor QC and filth has kept me from buying them since other ammo is available.   I haven't shot any Thunderbolts in a long time just because they are filthy and poor QC.

My bet you were shooting Remington ammo but any brand 22 rimfire cartridge can fire out of battery.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience.22 lr is by far the kaboom king!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Outside, temp around 45
View Quote
Well, that certainly wouldn't be considered an extreme.  But I can't help but wonder what effect temperature has on the polymer slide.  I can only assume Glock would've stuck it in the freezer (or worse) for a few hours before test firing it.

The only temperature reference I can find in the G44 manual is related to the trigger system, "It is safe if dropped and functional at temperatures from -40° to 122° Fahrenheit / -40° to 50° Celsius."

Let's hope it was a one-off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The crack in the pic is in the polymer portion of the slide.
G44 has a hybrid slide of polymer and steel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Metalurgical?  It's plastic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry about your grandson being disappointed that’s unfortunate I’ve been fortunate with my Sig Mosquito thousands of rounds zero issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had a few OOB failures over the years on semi auto 22's with old or junk ammo [cough]Thunderbolt[/cough]. It usually just results in crap flying everywhere and the gun jamming up. Different animal when the slide is made partially of polymer.

I'll bet Glock will want to get that gun in for a look-see pretty quick. I don't know anyone who works there anymore or I'd tag them to this thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, okay.  A little Gorilla glue and all should be well, then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Metalurgical?  It's plastic.
View Quote
Yeah, sorry.  I wasn't up to speed on the newest Glock perfection design.

(Not a Glock hater - love my 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel)
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well shit.....

I just looked at mine.

Does anyone else's have both of these lines, in these spots?

ETA:  seems they must be factory I see them in pictures posted online.

https://i.imgur.com/wQ5nA87.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M1YC8VQ.jpg
View Quote
Just spoke to my nephew who has one as well. He was shooting with us. His has the same mark's as yours. He thinks they  are mold  marks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, sorry.  I wasn't up to speed on the newest Glock perfection design.

(Not a Glock hater - love my 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel)
View Quote
And I've been waiting for someone to mill the G44 hybrid slide to accept an RMR.  Of course, this is the exact point at which the slide would be cut.  Maybe that's not such a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Man that really sucks OP, sorry to hear that. I've definitely see 22 KBs before, and the polymer slide on your G44 actually looks better than I thought it would have in such a situation but it's obviously still toast. I hope they square you away fast.

Did the magazine get ejected or damaged when it happened?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Man that really sucks OP, sorry to hear that. I've definitely see 22 KBs before, and the polymer slide on your G44 actually looks better than I thought it would have in such a situation but it's obviously still toast. I hope they square you away fast.

Did the magazine get ejected or damaged when it happened?
View Quote
Mag not ejected or damaged.  We actually were shooting with my nephew who had his own G44. We  loaded our mags and used his gun.  We had no problems with his. Hope it's just an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polyurgical?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad everyone was OK. I guess I will hold off on getting one for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry OP for your trouble. Glock is good with their customer service. I would imagine the round touched off slightly out of battery.

Did you do any breakdown and lube before you went out?

This was my first of a dozen or so Glocks with no trace of the copper lube usually found in the slide.

The lines the other poster showed are tool and die lines for the injection molding. All of them  have them.

Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And I've been waiting for someone to mill the G44 hybrid slide to accept an RMR.  Of course, this is the exact point at which the slide would be cut.  Maybe that's not such a good idea.
View Quote
I don't think it's doable on a G44.
Looks like there's a lug from the steel rail component that protrudes up into that area.

Over twice the money, but a S&W Model 41 has a rail, so it's plug and play for optics.
It's also an heirloom piece, where G44 is not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#40]
On the Advantage Arms 22 conversions for Glock pistols the extractor is retained by a compression pin.   It is not uncommon to loose the extractor on blow back 22's with an OOB if the extractor is held only by a spring.   The Ruger 10/22 extractor uses a spring and detent for rentention.   Same for the Colt and Gen 1 DPMS AR-15 22 conversions.   The Ciener/CMMG conversion extractors are retained by a pin and will not be damaged by an OOB.  S&W 15/22 has had issues with OOB and loosing extractors.

Any design can have advantages and disadvantages.  I think we've seen a disadvantage to the Glock 44 slide compared to the Aluminum slide AA conversion kit and pinned extractor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#41]
We have a couple of Taurus TX22 in the range for rentals. We have a Glock a customer/buddy let us use for a rental/trainer. Do not like the idea of a polymer slide in any way shape or form. Some things just shouldn't be done, even if you can. I can think of a ton of 22 rimfire pistols that have run a metric shit ton of rounds down range with zero problems. I have had a couple of kabooms with 22s over the years. All in steel guns. Worst thing I ever had to deal with was replacing an extractor.

It is known I'm not a Glock fan. I think they MAY very well regret using a hybrid slide design.

Tagged for results of Glock call.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looks like there's a lug from the steel rail component that protrudes up into that area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Understood.  That's been my fear.  I keep highlighting that "port" in the top of the G44 slide in front of the rear iron sight.

Over twice the money, but a S&W Model 41 has a rail, so it's plug and play for optics.
It's also an heirloom piece, where G44 is not.
I have two OEM G19's, both with the RMR cut behind the Trijicon suppressor-height rear sight.  I'm only interested in a .22 LR if I can realize the exact same setup (with the G19 form-factor).

Bruce Gagneaux at Primary Machine has offered to mill G44's to accept an RMR for free.  I was hoping a few guinea pigs would take him up on his offer.  However, after seeing this, I have my doubts.  Even if he can mill the G44 hybrid slide without further weakening it, the RMR would likely screw into plastic.

Only time (and a few million rounds) will tell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I tend to avoid first generation cars, electronics and guns.  Let the manufacturer work out the bugs and glitches before I think about going there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#45]
is the slide steel or polymer?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
is the slide steel or polymer?
View Quote
It's a hybrid of steel and polymer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#47]
This is why I only buy CCI or Aguila.   Most other 22 ammo is jammomatic dirty filthy crap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Yikes, I hope I dont regret buying one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#49]
First of all - glad that no one was hurt ...

This makes me want to stick with my AA 22LR upper that I have here and buy a dedicated lower for it for once.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had a few kabooms in a marlin 60 that results in me having to clean out brass.

Probably shot 10k rounds through it and had this happen probably 5 times.

Had a tula 9mm round primer blow out and send crap into the firing pin channel on a glock 17L. No damage.

Please post results here of what glock does.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top