Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 62
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Shield, it's the only one that's steel. The S15s will tear up aluminum mag catches too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I’m looking at 3 metal magazine releases; Shield Arms, Aim Surplus and Rival Arms.  I’ve read that folks are having issues using the Shield Arms release with the OEM 10rd mags.  Is anyone having similar issues with the Aim Surplus or Rival Arms mag releases?  I’d really like to have the ability to run both the S15 and OEM mags in the same gun.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Shield steel mag release with factory mags when shooting suppressed, because the S15s cause rounds to nosedive in the mags. I have had no issues and the factory mags are reliable suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use the Shield steel mag release with factory mags when shooting suppressed, because the S15s cause rounds to nosedive in the mags. I have had no issues and the factory mags are reliable suppressed.
View Quote

My S15 mags work fine suppressed.
(With the ShieldArms steel catch.)
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have issues with the mags falling out mid course of fire?!?

I am having issues with the newer mags I ordered. I video’d myself to make sure I was not inducing the malfunction. Happens with an both types of metal mag catches that I have... but only with the newer mags.

??
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Happens with an both types of metal mag catches that i have.
View Quote

Are either one of those mag buttons the new steel version from Shield Arms?

Do you know if the mag springs are +10%? (There is allegedly an extra coil)

I had the same issue.

My one SA 15 rounder has cost me over $85 to get working correctly.  Not super enthused about it all - and I'm considering dumping my 48 (there i said it).
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the market (I think) for a G43 for CCW. I was originally going to go with a G19 for capacity, but availability of the Shield Arms magazine for the 43 pushed me that direction.

I've been perusing this thread - at least the last few pages - and I'm concerned. This is my understanding, at this point:

Using the SA mag will tear up the stock magazine catch - sometimes very quickly - requiring the use of a metal replacement mag catch.

Using the metal catch tears up OEM plastic mags.  

Is that what I should expect? Limiting myself to only expensive aftermarket mags or only small OEM mags is making me shift back toward the 19.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are either one of those mag buttons the new steel version from Shield Arms?

Do you know if the mag springs are +10%? (There is allegedly an extra coil)

I had the same issue.

My one SA 15 rounder has cost me over $85 to get working correctly.  Not super enthused about it all - and I'm considering dumping my 48 (there i said it).
View Quote

The mag is the +10% (which I’m starting to think caused other malfunctions such as the slide hesitating to go into battery)

Neither is the new steel catch. One is the old SA the other is an AIM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in the market (I think) for a G43 for CCW. I was originally going to go with a G19 for capacity, but availability of the Shield Arms magazine for the 43 pushed me that direction.

I've been perusing this thread - at least the last few pages - and I'm concerned. This is my understanding, at this point:

Using the SA mag will tear up the stock magazine catch - sometimes very quickly - requiring the use of a metal replacement mag catch.

Is that what I should expect? Limiting myself to only expensive aftermarket mags or only small OEM mags is making me shift back toward the 19.
View Quote
The mags being discussed are for the 43X/48. Shield is working on a mag for the 43, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The mags being discussed are for the 43X/48. Shield is working on a mag for the 43, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap! I meant to type 43x. I'm looking for a 43X or maybe a G19, if the 43x can't be used with the SA mags without tearing up either the magazine catch or OEM mags.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My S15 mags hate Federal Brass 115Gn Walmart ammo. Work fine with Win NATO 124Gn.
View Quote

@StevenH

Are you still having this issue?

I function tested several...I guess, 16...of these S15 magazines with the steel catch in 3 different G48s (one silver slide, two MOS) and had several fail to load when the slide is racked or dropped with slide release with 115 grain Fed Black Pack.
Flawless with the limited number of HST put through them.

I checked OAL of the round but it seems similar to Winchester, etc.

Any insight on your end? Others?

No issues with OEM magazines, same ammo.

Makes me want to dump all the Shield mags because I have a large amount of Federal 115 variants. I do plan to test other range ammo types soon.

@ me if you reply to this thought, please
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Having to be ammo selective kind of defeats the purpose of using a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I wish I’d read this thread before buying my 43X MOS and shield mags. I’m just going to run OEM mags and researching what the best +2 options are. The S15 mags seems to have too many reliability issues for me to consider them for carry duty and I’m not modifying my carry gun for them to work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Ran a few hundred rounds of FMJ and gold dots through my new Glock 43x MOS and shield mags yesterday.

Ran without any hiccups however the magazine occasionally sticks when dropped on empty. I can’t find what the hang up is and it only does it on occasion, ejecting only about a quarter inch. Most of the Time it flys out.

Anyone else with the same experience?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, I've run everything from Wolf, UMC, WWB, Gold Dots, and HST's; not a problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ran a few hundred rounds of FMJ and gold dots through my new Glock 43x MOS and shield mags yesterday.

Ran without any hiccups however the magazine occasionally sticks when dropped on empty. I can’t find what the hang up is and it only does it on occasion, ejecting only about a quarter inch. Most of the Time it flys out.

View Quote

Is this with the OEM mag catch or the Shield catch?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Shield catch

Quoted:

Is this with the OEM mag catch or the Shield catch?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
This may be off-the-wall, but was this after rapid fire? Think it's possible the magazine was hot and the steel expanded slightly?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Placed an order at the end of last month.

Sent a message asking about the lead time and got this response:

=========

Thank you so much for reaching out. I apologize for the wait on those S15’s! Your order is still awaiting shipment and, currently, the fulfillment time of those is roughly between 40 and 60 days. That is due to a transition to a newer higher grade tooling. We are working to get them out to you just as fast as we can, in order they are received. You should be receiving an email with tracking information when that order reaches the top of the queue for fulfillment and is ready to ship. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Tanner
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

=========

Thank you so much for reaching out. I apologize for the wait on those S15’s! Your order is still awaiting shipment and, currently, the fulfillment time of those is roughly between 40 and 60 days. That is due to a transition to a newer higher grade tooling. We are working to get them out to you just as fast as we can, in order they are received. You should be receiving an email with tracking information when that order reaches the top of the queue for fulfillment and is ready to ship. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Tanner
View Quote

I thought the mag body is made by checkmate?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

=========

Thank you so much for reaching out. I apologize for the wait on those S15's! Your order is still awaiting shipment and, currently, the fulfillment time of those is roughly between 40 and 60 days. That is due to a transition to a newer higher grade tooling. We are working to get them out to you just as fast as we can, in order they are received. You should be receiving an email with tracking information when that order reaches the top of the queue for fulfillment and is ready to ship. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Tanner

It is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

=========

Thank you so much for reaching out. I apologize for the wait on those S15's! Your order is still awaiting shipment and, currently, the fulfillment time of those is roughly between 40 and 60 days. That is due to a transition to a newer higher grade tooling. We are working to get them out to you just as fast as we can, in order they are received. You should be receiving an email with tracking information when that order reaches the top of the queue for fulfillment and is ready to ship. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Tanner

It is.

So checkmate is retooling? Or they are going to stop using checkmate?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Read on another site that they are retooling for the ambidextrous mag release version and those who are waiting will get the new version.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Eh, I've run everything from Wolf, UMC, WWB, Gold Dots, and HST's; not a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely agree
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So where can I order these with some reasonable chance of actually getting them?
View Quote

Direct from Shield Arms. Only the original black mags are back orderable, I believe. Not the fancy coatings or bulk packs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Direct from Shield Arms. Only the original black mags are back orderable, I believe. Not the fancy coatings or bulk packs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So where can I order these with some reasonable chance of actually getting them?
They're no longer available for backorder. As was mentioned above, they're re-tooling to make them ambidextrous.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

Unless someone gets lucky and finds them in stock at a reseller, the only option is going to be the secondary market for now. Per a post elsewhere from Shield, the Gen 2 mags should be available 'soon' but no exact date is given.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#28]
From Reddit:

Shield S15 mags GEN 2 update

This comes from Brandon an employee at Shield. If you want to see that original post you can find it on the "Shield Wall" Facebook group.

Gen 2 mags are coming out in a matter of weeks. I don't have an exact date YET, because we are at the mercy of heat treat, coating, and FedEx Freight, but we are almost there. There will not be a preorder, so when they arrive at Shield and pass QC, then they will go in stock. You will get PLENTY of heads up before the launch date, we have a fun social media campaign planned with gold at the end of the rainbow (that's a hint for future reference).

What's different with gen 2? Two major differences: they are now ambi, and have a more corrosion resistant coating called Everlube. Other finish options will be available soon. There are some other minor changes like the follower, which has been changed to help REDUCE the Glock mag rattle. We also brought the overall width in a few thousandths to help them drop free in tight frames. Spring, locking plate, base plates, extensions, and steel mag catches are backwards/forwards compatible gen 1 to gen 2.

When will combos be available? ASAP. We are going to try and have enough mag catches to put the catch combos in stock soon, the rest of the combos will follow as we can.

There are a few people who backordered an S15 Gen 1 mag before we turned it off (whoops), so if you don't have a shipping notification, then you're getting a gen 2. You'll get a shipping notification around or at the same time they go in stock.

I think that's all, but if you have an S15 question, post it below and I'll answer if I can. I won't commit to dates, and I won't share sales numbers or costs or anything like that. Please do your best to limit the questions/comments to the S15, I'll do another one of these next week for the Glock 43 mag.

As always, thanks for your support!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone have issues with the mags falling out mid course of fire?!?

I am having issues with the newer mags I ordered. I video’d myself to make sure I was not inducing the malfunction. Happens with an both types of metal mag catches that I have... but only with the newer mags.

??
View Quote

Yes, with the SA metal mag catch....The SA mag catch does not work....I went back to the Glock OEM mag catch and problem went away....if the steel mags tear up the poly mag catch, it will be changed out.  $5 mag catch is better than mags dropping out.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Absolutely agree
View Quote

Same here with a 48MOS. Chambers everything I've fed it without a single problem. I'm running + 10% springs. The wear on the OEM 10 rounders with the steel mag lock seems to be exaggerated as well, IMO. I have one 10 round Glock magazine I've been trying to ruin with the steel catch. I've sat down in the evening and locked and released the magazine hundreds of times. You can see some wear, but it locks up good and functions fine. I'd say they're good to go. I don't believe I have some magic experience going on. I don't get why others are having problems, and I'm not?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I was told also it'll be 40-60 days to get one if one placed backorder now....... here is what they said "That is due to a transition to a newer higher grade tooling.".  

Of course I am counting those days......it's like going through waiting on my suppressor all over again

Just my $0.02 on which version of slim line Glock to get between 43x/48.  I went with G48 as like many we are used to our G19 so it only make sense to get that.  Then I picked up 43 raw slide, along with upper kit, barrel & sights, now I have 2 Glocks in 1.  After spending a little over $400 on the 43 upper, for another $100 I could have complete G43x.  I thought about it but no one had G43x in stock and waited over a week for my G48 but now I have both 48/43x using one frame.  

So those of you that already have G43, your choice is to get G48 and you will probably never use your G43 frame ever again

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Since this is the biggest 43x, 43x MOS, 48 thread...

Streamlight TLR-7 Sub $110.38 shipped with code RED10. Reposted from r/gundeals.

This is the one for the 43x MOS.

https://www.premiumselectsupplies.com/products/streamlight-tlr-7-sub-gun-light

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since this is the biggest 43x, 43x MOS, 48 thread...

Streamlight TLR-7 Sub $110.38 shipped with code RED10. Reposted from r/gundeals.

This is the one for the 43x MOS.

https://www.premiumselectsupplies.com/products/streamlight-tlr-7-sub-gun-light

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_2021-04-28_203105_png-1922728.JPG
View Quote

Just installed mine last night.

To not derail, I also played around with my Shield mags and my stock GLOCK polymer mag catch, it locks in much more confidently than the steel Shield catch with a much more definitive audible click. I have another Shield steel catch and magazines on backorder for over a month now, so I assume whenever I do get them, they will be of the AMBI. Gen II type. Will report back when I do receive them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Where are you guys finding the TRL7 Sub in stock?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51146421626_2b9561d543.jpg
Just installed mine last night.

To not derail, I also played around with my Shield mags and my stock GLOCK polymer mag catch, it locks in much more confidently than the steel Shield catch with a much more definitive audible click. I have another Shield steel catch and magazines on backorder for over a month now, so I assume whenever I do get them, they will be of the AMBI. Gen II type. Will report back when I do receive them.
View Quote

I put a cross pin in my polymer catch to stop the shield mag from jacking it up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13462/F0C956E4-68E8-4D76-B48A-98E4BBA8CC57-1924070.png

I put a cross pin in my polymer catch to stop the shield mag from jacking it up.
View Quote

Interesting. Any more info or pictures?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I ordered two strike industries +2 extensions today I hope the are not too long for my mag pouches. I have a bit over an inch of room.
View Quote
Are you using covered pouches?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been reading on PF that the 43X and 48 had some issues with certain rounds and failed one agencies testing because they ONLY use Gold Dot +P 124gr. Others report having issue with HST 147gr.
This was with OEM mags.

So I'm wondering if the comments about failures here could be related to the gun and not the Shield mag. The agency evidently removed the G43 from their approved list after seeing the 43X and 48 failures.
--
I LOVE my 43X, but I'm starting to wonder if they need an 18# or 19# recoil assembly (versus the 17# OEM), or if the G48 should have had a G19 length RSA versus sharing the same one as the 43.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Been carrying my G48 with for a couple of months now. PO decided to used aluminum mag catch. It's my fault I should have ask if the mag catch is alum or steel. Today I went to the range to test out and zero my Shield SMSc and the mag started dropping. Came home and found this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pull the slide and look at where the slide stop lever contacts the magazine follower.  Put the magazine in and watch where the follower makes contact with the lever.  See if it is binding there.  All 3 of my mags were and none would drop free.  When the slide stop lever fully engages the pocket in the follower, the follower(s) did not have enough side clearance to not push against the slide stop lever sideways.  Hold the magazine release in, while moving the magazine up into place.  Watch where it makes contact with the slide stop lever.  I had to clearance the followers about half a millimeter.  All 3 drop free now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I ordered two strike industries +2 extensions today I hope the are not too long for my mag pouches. I have a bit over an inch of room.
View Quote

@Shotar any review or feedback on these you can give on these? I purchased the tyrant designs and Ghost inc extensions and currently testing them. So far they have been 100% through a combined 500 rounds
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They went on fine and extend the mag exactly to the length of a P226 mag. I was able to use the same pouches on my duty belt.

The down side is I can only fit 11 rds in them. I will see if the springs loosen a bit. The mags were brand new and I've only put about 150rds through the gun total. They seemed to function fine.

I figure +1 is better than plus none.

I have dropped nearly a pound and a half off my duty belt by going to the g48 vs the p226, and went from 56 rds to 33 rds on my belt. My back is much happier.
View Quote

Great. Sounds like a winner. I’ll pick a few up. Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Has there been any update from SA as to when they expect to release the new version of the S15?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Tried loading mine to only 14 rounds and they worked fine with ammo they previously choked on
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I tend to upload and download my magazines a handful of times while watching a movie. Usually can load all the way up to 15 after.
Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top