User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 62
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Im thinking about selling mine off too.

I got the steel magazine release.  Went in fine.  I also tried swapping followers, but the front portion was exposed due to having a shorter leg, and if I wanted to, I could grab the front of the follower and start to yank it up and out of the front of the magazine.

I also noticed that when I loaded the pistol, the round didn't feed nearly as smooth as it did from the factory magazine.

I've seen other videos/pictures where it looks like the rounds look like the feed at a shallower angle and from a slightly lower position than the factory magazines.

Even if I vetted these, I feel there is still too much of a departure from the OEM geometry to really truly trust them.  As a result, I'm not sure I am going to hang on to these.  Already contemplating pulling the shield mag release out and switching back to OEM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure the majority of the magazines are good to go (I hope at least), but does anyone (who has and will do so) feel rather odd about having to still swap out springs and apparently followers, etc. to get them to run more reliably than the Shield followers and springs? They have new magazine body finishes, etc. yet they are still having spring and follower issues? I 100% understand the need for the steel mag release, however if it does become common place to gut these and insert Glock 19 springs and followers, I would much rather just purchase and pay the cost of the magazine body, floor plate, and insert (I know this is highly unlikely to happen of course).

I sold off my original preorder of the Shield magazines (I believe it was the complete EDC kit) at the beginning and this is coming from someone who still runs OEM magazines. I have been keeping a close eye on this thread and thought once the steel magazine release comes out I will look to buy them again, but these latter reports are somewhat discouraging if gutting these become a standard affair. Just a thought.

Im thinking about selling mine off too.

I got the steel magazine release.  Went in fine.  I also tried swapping followers, but the front portion was exposed due to having a shorter leg, and if I wanted to, I could grab the front of the follower and start to yank it up and out of the front of the magazine.

I also noticed that when I loaded the pistol, the round didn't feed nearly as smooth as it did from the factory magazine.

I've seen other videos/pictures where it looks like the rounds look like the feed at a shallower angle and from a slightly lower position than the factory magazines.

Even if I vetted these, I feel there is still too much of a departure from the OEM geometry to really truly trust them.  As a result, I'm not sure I am going to hang on to these.  Already contemplating pulling the shield mag release out and switching back to OEM.

FWIW, I have 3 mags. 1 Purchased early, the 2 others purchased well after release. The early mag had that shallow feed angle and it would nose dive into the ramp. I contacted Shield Arms about it and they said try the XP springs (which I already had on hand). I tried it, and it fixed the issue. The angle of presentation is now much closer to glock OEM mags.

But yea, fiddle fucking around is not something I want to do on a daily carry gun just to get it to be 100%.

My 48 is one from the first batch to hit dealers, too. Glock made changes to the newer ones.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

FWIW, I have 3 mags. 1 Purchased early, the 2 others purchased well after release. The early mag had that shallow feed angle and it would nose dive into the ramp. I contacted Shield Arms about it and they said try the XP springs (which I already had on hand). I tried it, and it fixed the issue. The angle of presentation is now much closer to glock OEM mags.

But yea, fiddle fucking around is not something I want to do on a daily carry gun just to get it to be 100%.

My 48 is one from the first batch to hit dealers, too. Glock made changes to the newer ones.
View Quote

What did Glock change? Mine is a very early model and I don't think I have had a single malfunction from mine. I have been thinking about picking up some s15 mags but I already have 10 OEM 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Just back ordered 3 more S15s and a steel mag catch. My 43x came with 2 1st gen S15 mags and + power springs. So far so good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What did Glock change? Mine is a very early model and I don't think I have had a single malfunction from mine. I have been thinking about picking up some s15 mags but I already have 10 OEM 10 round mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forget exactly but I think there were some minor changes to the grip area. I know for sure they changed which sights they were shipping out with.

That single shield mag was the only time I had malfunctions, and it was repeatable on demand. Take that out of the picture and the 48 has been flawless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have issues with the slide not locking back on the last round? Sorry if this has been covered.
View Quote
Yes.  Fixed with a Gen 5 9mm follower.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the steel mag release for the 43X. It's GTG.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone have issues with the slide not locking back on the last round? Sorry if this has been covered.
View Quote

Nope.  In fact, I'm one of the few that never had any issues.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
New to the 43X, want to make sure I get the right thing.  Shield arms steel mag catch gtg?  Will it wear out polymer mags?  And if my SA15 mags are iffy for slide lock, gen5 g19 follower.  This cover my bases?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New to the 43X, want to make sure I get the right thing.  Shield arms steel mag catch gtg?  Will it wear out polymer mags?  And if my SA15 mags are iffy for slide lock, gen5 g19 follower.  This cover my bases?
View Quote

I’d imagine the steel catch will wear out the notch on the factory polymer mags with enough use. This is why I decided to use shield arms mags exclusively in mine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it me, or is charging my CC even though the order hasn't shipped a bit disingenuous?  I placed my order on August 31 with SA. My order has yet to ship and yet charge for them has fully posted on my CC and is on my next billing statement. *Yes I have emailed SA. Just want to know if thats what happened to other people.

ETA: Got a response. Guess their system doesn't differentiate between In Stock and Backorder. LOL
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it me, or is charging my CC even though the order hasn't shipped a bit disingenuous?  I placed my order on August 31 with SA. My order has yet to ship and yet charge for them has fully posted on my CC and is on my next billing statement. *Yes I have emailed SA. Just want to know if thats what happened to other people.

ETA: Got a response. Guess their system doesn't differentiate between In Stock and Backorder. LOL
View Quote

I much prefer it that way
I’ll forget and see a rando charge months later. I want to spend the money today. Charge my card today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
So I got on the list at a distributor for a G43X MOS. How often has Shield Arms been shipping these magazines out?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I got on the list at a distributor for a G43X MOS. How often has Shield Arms been shipping these magazines out?
View Quote

This is relevant to my interests...

Seeing certain unnamed and unscrupulous individuals selling S15's for $100 a pop due to Shield/Checkmate slow-rolling them is rather irritating.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
They charge immediately on backorders, correct?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Do the standard (non +10) springs have a known problem with permanently compressing/setting?

All five of these are standard S15 springs. The three longer ones on the left are brand new, never loaded. The two shorter ones on the right were loaded to 15 for about 4 months and have also been shot/cycled through at the range, about 5 cycles each. So not much at all.

I also had a FTF the last round on one of them, and the magazines would not drop free on an open slide (using the Shield aluminum mag catch). When I took them apart, there was very little difference between the length of the magazine body and the length of the spring.

I’ve replaced all my springs with the +10 ones. But this is still concerning.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1425/36907060-52F9-43E1-96C7-C92DE3FF9448_jpe-1609226.JPG

Do the standard (non +10) springs have a known problem with permanently compressing/setting?

All five of these are standard S15 springs. The three longer ones on the left are brand new, never loaded. The two shorter ones on the right were loaded to 15 for about 4 months and have also been shot/cycled through at the range, about 5 cycles each. So not much at all.

I also had a FTF the last round on one of them, and the magazines would not drop free on an open slide (using the Shield aluminum mag catch).

View Quote

Yikes
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yikes
View Quote

Yeah. I really like these magazines overall, but good Lord. I hope the +10 springs don’t bork themselves like this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
It's disappointing that they don't just put the extra power spring in their mags going forward.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's disappointing that they don't just put the extra power spring in their mags going forward.
View Quote

It’s surprising. Nearly every issue with them is a result of the weak spring. Not dropping free, last round FTF, not locking open on last round, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1425/36907060-52F9-43E1-96C7-C92DE3FF9448_jpe-1609226.JPG

I also had a FTF the last round on one of them, and the magazines would not drop free on an open slide (using the Shield aluminum mag catch). When I took them apart, there was very little difference between the length of the magazine body and the length of the spring.

View Quote

All mag springs behave in this manner. They take an initial set.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Is anyone making a G43x 80% grip frame yet?  I have a G43 I am not using, and buying a G43x or G48 will still leave me with a G43 I am not using...
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is anyone making a G43x 80% grip frame yet?  I have a G43 I am not using, and buying a G43x or G48 will still leave me with a G43 I am not using...
View Quote
Not yet and haven't heard of any coming up.  Closest thing is the Vuurwapen HMC9, which is a hybrid that takes 365 mags and G43 slides.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concerns for the springs are an easy fix. G19 mag springs are what, $6? If that. The gen 5 orange followers are like $2. With both, you’re up to $50 a mag, about what you’d pay for H&K mags.

I still think Shield fucked up going with Checkmate and not MecGar. MG has a much better reputation and track record for pistol mags. Then again, I don’t know what the difference would be in terms of cost, timetable, and minimum numbers needed per production run...

Anyone here reckon MG could make dead-nuts reliable 16 round flush-fit Mags for $35 apiece? I wouldn’t put it past them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I just wish they'd have gone with a full profile mag with an internal spacer instead of the rib on the front.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#26]
As much as I would love to have 15 rounds in the 43x I think I'll run the OEM for the time being.

These with g19 springs and gen 5 g19 followers are what you guys are doing and they are then reliable correct? Just want to be clear should I run across these and decide to try some.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As much as I would love to have 15 rounds in the 43x I think I'll run the OEM for the time being.

These with g19 springs and gen 5 g19 followers are what you guys are doing and they are then reliable correct? Just want to be clear should I run across these and decide to try some.
View Quote
Yes, G19 springs with Gen 5 followers are working great for me.  I didn't have any feed issues with the standard S15 springs and followers, but they wouldn't lock back the slide during live fire.  When just racking the slide they would lock back but the engagement between the slide stop and slide was negligible.  With the Gen 5 followers the slide stop engages the slide fully and locks it back every time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Concerns for the springs are an easy fix. G19 mag springs are what, $6? If that. The gen 5 orange followers are like $2. With both, you’re up to $50 a mag, about what you’d pay for H&K mags.

I still think Shield fucked up going with Checkmate and not MecGar. MG has a much better reputation and track record for pistol mags. Then again, I don’t know what the difference would be in terms of cost, timetable, and minimum numbers needed per production run...

Anyone here reckon MG could make dead-nuts reliable 16 round flush-fit Mags for $35 apiece? I wouldn’t put it past them.
View Quote

My point is, there should be no concern with spring set shown in those photos, because that is completely normal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are you getting the Glock 19 springs and followers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Where are you getting the Glock 19 springs and followers?
View Quote
Brownells, tons of places have them though
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My point is, there should be no concern with spring set shown in those photos, because that is completely normal.
View Quote

Springs taking a set = completely normal.

Shield opting not to rectify the issue by installing longer springs from the get-go once the issue was identified = not “normal.”

These issues are why I sold mine right after I got them. I bought into the pre-order fairly early on, but then all these issues started popping up with mags not dropping free, last round hold open, weak/too short springs, etc.

I still think this is an amazing idea, but I think they’re over-priced considering who makes them, and what you have to replace out of the box for them to work reliably. Then there’s the issue of rusting that I’ve heard from two local guys.

Maybe one day these will have the kinks worked out. Until then, at least for a carry gun, I’ll run the proven OEM mags and take the capacity hit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
agreed.
Quoted:
I just wish they'd have gone with a full profile mag with an internal spacer instead of the rib on the front.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes, G19 springs with Gen 5 followers are working great for me.  I didn't have any feed issues with the standard S15 springs and followers, but they wouldn't lock back the slide during live fire.  When just racking the slide they would lock back but the engagement between the slide stop and slide was negligible.  With the Gen 5 followers the slide stop engages the slide fully and locks it back every time.
View Quote

Thanks

So basically I need
SA15 mag
Steel mag release
G19 spring
G19 follower (gen5)

Seems like it would be well worth the hassle for 15 in a slim 43x so once I come across these I'm going to do it.

Edit- I'm thinking after a few hundred failure free rounds out each mag I'd be ready to run these full time. So this conversion will approximately run me a grand
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks

So basically I need
SA15 mag
Steel mag release
G19 spring
G19 follower (gen5)

Seems like it would be well worth the hassle for 15 in a slim 43x so once I come across these I'm going to do it.

Edit- I'm thinking after a few hundred failure free rounds out each mag I'd be ready to run these full time. So this conversion will approximately run me a grand
View Quote

My mags all work fine with the SA springs and followers. I only replaced the mag catch with a steel one.  I'm sure there are lots of others who have similar experiences to mine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My 15’s with extensions just shipped
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My mags all work fine with the SA springs and followers. I only replaced the mag catch with a steel one.  I'm sure there are lots of others who have similar experiences to mine.
View Quote

Same for me
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two shield mags.  Every once in a while, the slide will not lock back and even worse, I’ve had a couple of cartridges get jammed between the feed ramp and the breach face hard enough to cut into the FMJ on the top and bottom of the bullet.  I think the jamming is only on 1 of the mags.

The mags also don’t shoot out like they do when I have the original Glock mag release in....I’m not really a fan of the shield mag release.  I might end up trying metal release form someone else.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My 15’s with extensions just shipped
View Quote

When did you order them????
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Couple months ago
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have two shield mags.  Every once in a while, the slide will not lock back and even worse, I’ve had a couple of cartridges get jammed between the feed ramp and the breach face hard enough to cut into the FMJ on the top and bottom of the bullet.  I think the jamming is only on 1 of the mags.

The mags also don’t shoot out like they do when I have the original Glock mag release in....I’m not really a fan of the shield mag release.  I might end up trying metal release form someone else.
View Quote

Longer springs fix both of those issues. More force applied to the follower when it gets to top.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Longer springs fix both of those issues. More force applied to the follower when it gets to top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I’ll contact shield and see if they will send out the +10% springs.....
Or does the 19 springs and followers fix that issue as well?

I’ll trust Glock springs more than the manufacture of the shield mags if that works.

The shield mag release feels like it binds more vs the Glock mag release.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#42]
It seems like these mags are going to turn my Glock into a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It seems like these mags are going to turn my Glock into a 1911.
View Quote
I have yet to hear of anyone having feed issues.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But they are having to tune mags sometimes to the tune of $50 a pop.

From 6 posts up.

I've had a couple of cartridges get jammed between the feed ramp and the breach face hard enough to cut into the FMJ on the top and bottom of the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve had feeding issues.  Bullet jammed between feed ramp and breech face.  Happens off and on, usually about halfway through a mag.

ETA
I emailed shield arms at 4:13pmtoday asking about if they would think the extra power springs could help my issue.
They emailed me back to confirm my address at 4:16pm and are sending me new springs.

Even if the mags have issues, that’s pretty good response.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But they are having to tune mags sometimes to the tune of $50 a pop.

From 6 posts up.

View Quote

For every person that reports problems on the internet, how many completely satisfied people do you think exist that you don’t hear a peep from? Think about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For every person that reports problems on the internet, how many completely satisfied people do you think exist that you don't hear a peep from? Think about it.
View Quote
I've never understood that line of thinking. It's no consolation to the people having issues.

I already have to fiddle with my 1911's. Having to do it with my Glocks negates the reason I bought Glocks in the first place.

If the mags were cheaper, it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm now running 5 mags with 10% springs and steel mag catch. A few hundred rounds through each with no failures. With the normal springs I had a few failure to lock back. Shield sent me the 10% springs no charge when I explained what was happening.  I may end up going to the glock springs and followers eventually just to be extra sure. At that point I'm only relying on the Shield mag body and catch.

Also the steel catch will wear your polymer OEM mags. Mine are showing wear with minimal use and I'm pretty sure they would eventually fail.

Likewise the Shield aluminum mag catch i had showed significant wear from the steel mags after several hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've never understood that line of thinking. It's no consolation to the people having issues.

I already have to fiddle with my 1911's. Having to do it with my Glocks negates the reason I bought Glocks in the first place.

If the mags were cheaper, it might be worth it.
View Quote

If you don’t understand that line of thinking, then you don’t understand the concept of “the big picture.”  I’ll make it easier...for every one person you read about on the internet reporting a problem about a product, there are hundreds or thousands of people with the same product who have had no issues at all.  This means the probability of any given person having a problem with said product is very low. It doesn’t guarantee any specific person won’t, it just means it’s unlikely.  Make sense?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you don't understand that line of thinking, then you don't understand the concept of "the big picture."  I'll make it easier...for every one person you read about on the internet reporting a problem about a product, there are hundreds or thousands of people with the same product who have had no issues at all.  This means the probability of any given person having a problem with said product is very low. It doesn't guarantee any specific person won't, it just means it's unlikely.  Make sense?
View Quote
The problem with your premise is that it only takes into account the people that have not had issues and not said a peep as you say, but it doesn't consider how many people have had issues and not said a peep as you say. It's a very myopic view.

So, I should spend $40 (or $50 if I want Glock followers and springs) and hope for the best because statistics are on my side? I'm sure your logic is comforting to the people that have had issues.

Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top