Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 7:48:05 PM EDT
I've got a Glock 21 with roughly 4000 rounds through it and I literally have never had a failure from it.
Steel case, brass, WWB, hydrashocks, golden sabers, etc etc.  I use it as a nightstand gun and have always kept some 200gr Wilson combat loaded ammo in it.
I recently came into 1000 rounds of 230gr +p HST and decided to run a 100 rounds through it.  It would only cycle about 50%. 6 or 7 fails to feed per mag, on multiple mags.
The failure was the bullet stopping on the mag body facing down and not even making it to the feed ramp most of the time, with the occasional catch on the feed ramp. Is this common with the hst?
Sucks because I bought so.much of it and I don't want to use it in my 1911.
Here's pics of the Wilson ammo that I "recreated" the failure by hand because I didn't have pics handy while shooting.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace RSA.

That is hot ammo. Slide could be returning to battery too quickly because the spring is not able to slow it down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Replace RSA.

That is hot ammo. Slide could be returning to battery too quickly because the spring is not able to slow it down.
View Quote
Also could be the mag spring finally getting worn and needing replacement.
How many mags 2 or x?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How many mags 2 or x?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Replace RSA.

How many mags 2 or x?
It did it on 3 different mags, which is all I brought with me
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Replace RSA.

View Quote
Any recommendations on where to buy and which spring?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Factory replacement is fine. Available from Glock and lots of other places. I like Midwest Gun Works.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the ammo in ALL your mags, see if it’s mag or ammo. If it’s mag, send it to Glock, they’ll give you a free one. I doubt it’s the ammo, my Gen4 G21 eats EVERYTHING, HST’s included!  Also, is your gun in STOCK/OEM condition?  A lot of IDIOTS, start changing out parts on a perfectly good/original gun. Did you buy gun used?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Replace RSA.
View Quote
You're at 4K already.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
As above, it's likely a spring issue.  Replace the RSA and all mag springs, you are overdue.

My agency has 285 Glock 21sf Gen3 handguns, and we have used both standard and +P 230gr HST since about 2011.  We have zero issues with the load.  Sure, in that many guns you will see a malfunction every once in a while, but it's rare.

If that does not fix it, let us know.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As above, it's likely a spring issue.  Replace the RSA and all mag springs, you are overdue.

My agency has 285 Glock 21sf Gen3 handguns, and we have used both standard and +P 230gr HST since about 2011.  We have zero issues with the load.  Sure, in that many guns you will see a malfunction every once in a while, but it's rare.

If that does not fix it, let us know.
View Quote
Copy that, will do. Already ordered, will update asap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive had that malfunction many times with HST ammo in my G19s.  Floater, I don't think magpul makes 45 acp Glock mags but I know that on my 19s I would have issues with HSTs because the stock glock mags held the round kind of "flat" while the magpul mags pointed the round upwards substantially more.  I could chamber an endless amount of Magpul mags without a single issue but I would consistently have trouble chambering a round from slide lock using a factory mag.  This only happened with HST ammo and my stock glock mags.  I also live in NY so they are 10 round mags.......
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ive had that malfunction many times with HST ammo in my G19s.  Floater, I don't think magpul makes 45 acp Glock mags but I know that on my 19s I would have issues with HSTs because the stock glock mags held the round kind of "flat" while the magpul mags pointed the round upwards substantially more.  I could chamber an endless amount of Magpul mags without a single issue but I would consistently have trouble chambering a round from slide lock using a factory mag.  This only happened with HST ammo and my stock glock mags.  I also live in NY so they are 10 round mags.......
View Quote
10 round G19 mags have always been kinda iffy.  I had problems chambering Gold Dots from a fully loaded 10 round mag if I used the slide release but no problem with slingshot method.  Guess the little bit extra spring force helped.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one Gen 2 and two Gen 3 samples of G21 that run great with HST.  I tend to sell off all my Glock mags every few years and buy new ones.

I know my current 21 main spring may be a bit weak because it barely runs with the can on.  It cycles HST just fine. I chrony'd my reloads last week and they are a bit slower than I expected.  I will bump it up next batch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have two samples of G21 that run great with HST.
View Quote
Good to hear. I'm hoping the new RSA fixes mine. Otherwise it's going to give an excuse to buy the new long slide 45
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had any issues with HST in my 21, hopefully it’s a recoil spring or mag issue.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Every once in a while, a Glock will be found that is picky.  My former partner and I bought Glock 21's at the same time, from the same vendor, and serial numbers were only off by 5 or so.  One of the guns would feed anything, the other gun would jam like nobody's business with Fiochi hollow points.  The other gun fed the Fiochi ammo with no problem, and none of the other guys in the agency who had Glock 21's had issues with Fiochi.

It just proves that any gun can be picky, so you gotta test 'em out with what you intend to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top