Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2022 10:38:00 PM EDT
I have a Glock 20 that has had some failure to feeds.  I shot tonight and got some pics.

The ammo used was both BVAC 180gr FMJ and PPU 175gr FMJ.  I think they may be slightly underpowered but not sure.

When shooting Sig 180gr Elite V-Crown JHP there were no issues.

I was using an OEM barrel and tried both a ISMI 22lb recoil spring and OEM recoil spring, didn't seem to make a difference.

I also swapped out the barrel to a LWD 40S&W barrel and shot 100 rounds of PMC Bronze 165 and 180gr .40S&W with no issues.

It almost feels like the slide is chugging along slowly or something, but that's very subjective.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If the recoil spring and the mag springs are fresh, then try a differant brand of ammo. something from one of the major companies, Federal, Winchester, etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If mags and a recoil spring didn’t fix it then I’d say go back to your stock slide.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like an ammo issue to me if it runs fine with the more powerful Sig ammo. A weaker recoil spring might help if you want to shoot weaker ammo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I am having the same issue with a brand new Gen 4 G20.  It's a box-stock gun, but first 100 rounds with it and the 3 magazines it came with, it had several FTFs in the same manner.  The face of the round stops against the left breech face.

I emailed Glock and asked about it, they told me to 1) not limp-wrist 2) use heavy bullets at least to break the gun in 3) load the magazines and leave them loaded for a while.  This is my first owned Glock, but I've shot a lot of Glocks and have never had issues with it so I don't think it's operator-induced malfunction.  10MM plinking ammo is almost $1/round in most places locally (though I found some a little cheaper), and 200gr bullets are almost exclusively $3/round type defensive ammo... no thanks.

A FFL I deal with around here said to bring it by.  We looked at it a bunch, he cycled some ammo though by hand.  He called his buddy a long-time Glock armorer (not sure if official but a lot of experience) and we kind of came to the conclusion it was weak magazine springs.  Probably why Glock says to load the magazines for a while (guess?).  He ordered 3 additional mags for me, we looked at them when they came in and they seemed better but without direct comparison there's no real way to tell.  His armorer said to toss the magazines, but I'm not really the type, and he was going to order some new springs.  I never heard back so I figured what the hell and ordered a 10-pack of the Wolf +10% mag springs.

I installed them this morning, loaded the mags and went directly to the range.  The mags weren't loaded for more than an hour probably.  6 magazines, all fired straight through with zero FTF.  That was only 90 rounds, so I loaded the last 10 into magazine 1 and fired them off, and did have one of these FTFs on like the 3rd round but that was it.  I wouldn't consider it solved yet, but 2-3 failures per magazine down to a single failure in 100 rounds is a good improvement.  This was different ammo though, the first batch was red box Fed American Eagle, this was Ammo, Inc. both in 180gr.

I'm a little nervous to consider the gun GTG yet, I bought it for a woods gun.  With the exception of a LCP, every new gun I've ever bought has gone through the first few hundred rounds unscathed so 0/1 with Glock.

I would look into your magazine springs, even if they are new it could be the source of the problem.  It looked like the mags just weren't popping the rounds up fast enough, and it was pretty apparent hand-cycling the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quality ammo = quality results since you mentioned it ran fine on sig ammo, I suggest the issue is NOT the gun. Anyone who owns a 10mm and doesn’t reload, probably shouldn’t have one at todays ammo prices unless you are a multi millionaire

Factory baseline quality ammo and one stock gunworks according to your posts don’t hunt for gun solutions to an ammo problem
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the mag springs may be the issue.  Try extra power springs.  You also may need to try different recoil springs.  I'd try going a bit lighter first.  The slide chugging along slowly may mean that it doesn't have enough energy to strip a round and chamber it.  It's interesting that it's not reliable with the stock spring though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got back to the range tonight with the G20.

I shot 150 rounds:

50 Sig
50 PPU
50 Armscor

I only had issues with PPU, 2 of the same issues as before.

I used both 15 and 17 round mags.

I think it was an ammo issue.  Ran great with any other ammo.

Also, doing El Pres and Bill drills with a 10mm is a lotta fun.  Not as fast as with my G19, but sure is rowdy.  I think my lane neighbors may not have enjoyed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top