Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2022 11:36:51 AM EDT
Been spending some extra time at the range lately working on speed. Inspired by a recent thread on peoples concealment draw times I’ve been working on that. I’m transitioning to an optic on my preferred carry weapon.

Using an OLD PACT timer, it’s pretty gruesome. I’m running a range from 2.05 down to 1.60ish seconds for my first shot. My median times seem to hover in the 1.89sec range. IWB at 8:30 (lefty) with a T-shirt for cover garment just like I carry everyday.  This is starting with a surrender position and using IDPA targets at 7yds.  

I CAN say with confidence that the dot sight hasn’t slowed me down but has greatly helped my accuracy. At 62 my eyesight just doesn’t pick up irons like I used to. When I’m doing a Mozambic with irons I would often toss the head shot and miss. Yesterday with the dot, I never missed even once. And my total time didn’t change from the irons.

I know I’ll NEVER hit even close to the times some of y’all achieve but my goal is to pull reliable 1.4 sec first shots.  

Many years ago when I competed nearly every weekend and practiced hard I was indeed much faster but kinda dropped out and left off my practice. To those on that path may I suggest you at LEAST keep up your dry fire and draw practice. Once you lose the muscle memory it’s tough to rebuild it.

And for those few wondering? I’m using a Springer champion in .45 with a holosun 508t and really loving being able to actually hit stuff again. Old eyesight and irons suck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you.

I found that my LW champion became much faster shooting when I put in a Wilson flatwire recoil spring and full-length guide rod and a flat bottom firing pin retainer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top