Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 3:33:09 PM EDT
Been looking at getting another 1911, and I have seen where the CMP is doing a other run of 1911 sales. Also looked at a Springfield Mil-spec 1911.....do I spend the extra dough and get the CMP gun or save a little and go Springfield?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
do I spend the extra dough and get the CMP gun or save a little and go Springfield?  
View Quote

Are you going to shoot the gun, or collect it.

Nothing wrong with either, but if shooting is the goal, go with the Springfield, and if collecting is the goal go with the CMP pistol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with either, but if shooting is the goal, go with the Springfield, and if collecting is the goal go with the CMP pistol.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
do I spend the extra dough and get the CMP gun or save a little and go Springfield?  

A little of both........ although I realize that shooting the CMP gun might not be completely wise. I do shoot my CMP Garands
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would shoot the CMP pistol, they are nothing special except for the high price.
View Quote

I would shoot it some myself.  But I wouldn't shoot it very much.

If you crack the slide/frame on the CMP, you have lost more than if you do the same on the Springfield.

I have shot old pistols in the past, and I may again in the future.  Just not very much.

If it is still in production and I get the opportunity, I will shoot it into scrap if I can, and then buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would shoot the CMP pistol, they are nothing special except for the high price.
View Quote

Yeah, I have waffled a bit between it and the Springfield.........
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have waffled a bit between it and the Springfield.........
View Quote

The shitty sights on a CMP 1911 would make *me* lean towards a modern 1911. While I would appreciate the history of a CMP 1911, if you want to shoot it more than once a year then a modern 1911 will be both more accurate as well as more reliable.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's the typical rebuilt CMP 1911 then there isn't a big deal in shooting it, especially if it has a newer later WW2 spot hardened slide. I have a 1941 RS I shoot [yes the numbers match] but the finish is gone so it's my shooter. I have other ones that will likely never be shot due to their condition and originality.

If you replace the recoil spring [I wouldn't trust the CMP did this] then shoot away. I wouldn't go banging away with hot ammo but standard or target loads, sure. Just be aware that they are set up for hardball ammo and might not like some of the newer bullet designs.

If my almost 60 year old eyes can see the sights then most other people shouldn't have an issue. Now in a ''combat S/D'' situation, sure, I'll take modern hi vis sights every time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, I'd get a Tisas GI clone and the CMP 1911.

Stretches your budget a little, but best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
How many 1911's do you have in the first place???

Are they all 45ACP???

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many 1911's do you have in the first place???

Are they all 45ACP???

View Quote

One, and it’s .45 acp
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have the urge to get a piece of military history, get a CMP 1911. The way military arms are selling these days, CMP !911 offer is the best price you can get your hand on one without breaking your bank account and afraid that you might break one piece of pricy collectible. With fresh new springs and none +P ammo, you should be fine shooting those unless you shoots tens of thousands of rounds like MEUSOC Marines. Those CMP 1911 already appreciate in value with the evidence of gunbroker resale price @ $1500~$1700 on average.

But the sights are dated and no match to modern 1911 sights. You might not like it if you have never try USGI sights before. Try to see if you know someone that have 1911 with USGI type sights and can let you feel how you like it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been looking at getting another 1911, and I have seen where the CMP is doing a other run of 1911 sales. Also looked at a Springfield Mil-spec 1911.....do I spend the extra dough and get the CMP gun or save a little and go Springfield?
View Quote

Sell extra things excess to your needs. Buy a few items cheap and flip them for profit. Use the proceeds to get both. One to look at and one to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sell extra things excess to your needs. Buy a few items cheap and flip them for profit. Use the proceeds to get both. One to look at and one to shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that is probably what I will do...... except the shooter might be 10mm, since I already have a Kimber in .45
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Tiny GI sight picture
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tiny GI sight picture
https://i.imgur.com/KBYhCZu.jpg
View Quote

It is small, but doesn’t bother me that much........ I think I am still going to get one, and get a 10mm 1911 later on
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that right there is why I wouldn't even buy a CMP 1911. If you want a shooter, there are much better options for the same (or less) money and as a collector piece, mix masters will never have more then a limited amount of value.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that right there is why I wouldn't even buy a CMP 1911. If you want a shooter, there are much better options for the same (or less) money and as a collector piece, mix masters will never have more then a limited amount of value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will always be worth what was paid for them until the day comes when everyone has to turn them in or fight.

I don't think you can name a USGI firearm ever sold by the CMP that has lost money unless it was dicked with after purchase and is now unable to be put back into it's CMP as sold original condition.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They will always be worth what was paid for them until the day comes when everyone has to turn them in or fight.

I don't think you can name a USGI firearm ever sold by the CMP that has lost money unless it was dicked with after purchase and is now unable to be put back into it's CMP as sold original condition.
View Quote

I didn't say you would loose money on it but these CMP 1911's are an entry level collector pieces at best . Collectability is all about rarity, condition and originality and desirability. These CMP 1911's are not rare or original but they do still have some desirability to some people. Mostly people who really want a true war time 1911 but can't afford a better example. For me, because of the mix master nature of these, I have a hard time considering these true war time examples.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true. The gun I got from the CMP is definitely a mix master, as almost all of them are.
Remington Rand frame with later post war replacement colt slide and barrel, rebuilt at marine depot Albany Georgia in September 1977.
The sights are not all that bad (50+ year old eyes here) and mine has been perfectly reliable with even target wadcutters and hollow points ( which was not an expectation I had so bonus)
Even with rebuild mixmaster status, a good buy.
I have other guns I use for serious purposes, but from a perspective of holding and shooting history they can’t be beat
If it were me I would definitely go CMP AND buy another “modern” 45.
Keep in mind you can get a $700 Springfield any time. But if you hesitate on the USGI guns and change your mind later, they will far more costly and hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didn't say you would loose money on it but these CMP 1911's are an entry level collector pieces at best . Collectability is all about rarity, condition and originality and desirability. These CMP 1911's are not rare or original but they do still have some desirability to some people. Mostly people who really want a true war time 1911 but can't afford a better example. For me, because of the mix master nature of these, I have a hard time considering these true war time examples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just answered you own question. People CAN afford these, they are 100% true USGI firearms, sold in FAR less numbers then any others with a large production time and run. Yes, the really hardcore collectors will turn their noses up at them but they already likely have their ''collectable'' status 1911's. They are also worth enough that most realize they would be an idiot to go out and shoot them. Break even one part and value drops a huge amount, especially if a replacement part is scarce.

These, you CAN shoot, a part breaks and you can likely find some USGI replacement part to put in it and it's value isn't dropped much it at all.

I have a finish trashed 1941 that is pretty much correct and the frame and slide match SN#'s, I've been told several times it's still worth enough that I shouldn't shoot it but that is exactly why I bought it. [plus it was a couple hundred bucks]  Would I do that with one of my really nice other Colts or a US&S, hell no I wouldn't.

I've seen very few people who have gotten one from the CMP recently do any bitching about them other then worrying if their number will come up and the wait.

I have ''enough'' USGI 1911's that, while I was tempted to get in line for these, I didn't. Plus, most of mine were bought well below the CMP prices. However, almost all of mine are now worth 2X on up CMP prices.

Hell, I sold a 1911 BARREL a few years ago for almost 3 x what a CMP 1911 is going for. That's it, a BARREL. And the guy was so damn happy you couldn't believe it. That barrel cost to me, $50 along with a bunch of other USGI 1911 parts a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I decided to send the paperwork in..............probably will have to wait forever, and might not get picked, but we shall see
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You just answered you own question.
View Quote

I didn't have a question. I already decided back when the details and prices were announced that these CMP 1911s aren't for me but to each their own. Glad we all still have choices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top