Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2020 8:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azrckcrawler]
Been looking for an optic ready pistol now that my eyes have started to betray me (I am in my late 40's). I tried a Canik TPSFX in the past but couldn't get comfortable with the red dot. Was tempted by the optic ready commander sized Girsan 1911's.  I didn't have a commander sized 1911 so worst case if I hated the red dot optic I'd have a compact 1911 to shoot. Purchased one (in 45 ACP) early this month, and transferred it two weeks ago. Greta timing as the current gun buying panic would have scrapped the whole purchase.  

The good - Fit and finish are really good, the slide play is about the same as my Sig Sauer Scorpion.  The finish is really nice, better than my parkerized Rock Island which was in the same price range. Not sure what the barrel is coated with but the black coating looks sharp. Trigger feels decent, about the same as the RIA 1911 so no complaints.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The bad - Took it out last weekend and after two magazines the optic was loose.  I was pissed at myself for not loctiting it but live and learn.  Cleaned up the threads and applied blue loctite then parked it for the week.  I took it out again this past weekend and the optic was loose again after a few magazines. Tried tightening it only to have it come loose again after a few more rounds. Took it home and was preparing to try some red loctite on the mounting screws when I noticed the indexing holes in the optic frame were wallowed out already. The front holes are so squished that you cannot get the bottom mounted battery cover off. The lense also has a chip out of it, thought it was a splash of oil when shooting but it actually has a layer of the outer coating missing. Got an email into EAA to see what they say but the optic base material seems way too soft for it's intended usage. FWIW the optic is an ADE RD3-009. I wasn't expecting amazing quality at this price point but was hoping for a couple months of life at the very least.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not good.  Was going to look at that exact same pistol in the next day or.  I actually have that same site as well.  It came on a used TP9-SFX, but because of the button on the front of it, it didn't sit down correctly on the plate.  I never shot with one.  I got a Votex and tried it, but just can't figure it out.  Seems I chase the dot more than actually use it.

Good luck in getting it took care of.

Besides the sight issue, what do you think about  the pistol?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We just had a similar model come through our shop.  The optic mount slotted into the rear sight dovetail, and the forward studs were too large to fully fit into the optic.  If we'd fired it I'm pretty sure the round would've hit the dirt in front of the target.  I wollowed out the front holes in the optic to actually fit the studs, and still had to throw a shim in the back in order to see the red dot at the very top of the optic w/ the tip of the front sight @ the bottom.

Yours looks like a slightly better set up, but I doubt that optic is worth two flips.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azrckcrawler] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigking:
That's not good.  Was going to look at that exact same pistol in the next day or.  I actually have that same site as well.  It came on a used TP9-SFX, but because of the button on the front of it, it didn't sit down correctly on the plate.  I never shot with one.  I got a Votex and tried it, but just can't figure it out.  Seems I chase the dot more than actually use it.

Good luck in getting it took care of.

Besides the sight issue, what do you think about  the pistol?
View Quote

EAA took care of me, had a new optic within a few days.  I ended up 3d printing a mount and installing the RDS optic on my 22/45.  Caught a Burris Fastfire III on sale a week ago and have that installed currently on the MC1911, going to sight it in tommorow.  

The pistol itself is impressive for the price.  I have 2 other 1911's, a 5" Rock Island and a 5" SIG Scorpion. To repeat from my original post, the machining on the MC1911 is very good, maybe a tad better than Rock Island. The fit is excellent, very little if any wiggle slide to frame, essentially identical to my SIG Scorpion.  Finish is definitely better than the Parkerized Rock Island, time will tell if it holds up as good as the cerakote on my SIG.  Trigger still feels great, pulling them a side by side pretty much identical in feel to my SIG Scorpion now. So far no issues with SIG or Mecgar mags, been shooting it with irons the last few times out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I think this optic ready pistol is not optic capable.

I made it thru 1 magazine before my Burris came off the mounting plate.  This was after two weeks of cure time for the loctite primer and blue loctite.  After 8-10 rounds the locating holes are wallowed in the optic. I dug out the Burris mounting plate and found the problem, the Girsan locating pins are not tall enough to engage the optics locating holes.    Looks like this one is going back to irons until a new optic plate can be sourced. Dropped EAA an email with pics, we'll see where this goes.

Burris locating holes after about 8-10 rounds.

Girsan optic plate on left, Burris on right.  I measure 1mm tall posts on the Girsan plate however they also have a heavy radius on top so I doubt they are doing anything to locate the optic.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like this one is getting sold as an iron sighted 1911. Spoke to someone at EAA tech support and it went like you would expect. Tech immediately launched into how the optic plate is not designed for a Burris optic although he mentioned how he has a Vortex optic on his and the plate works fine. I just chuckled as they have the same mounting pattern.

Here's a great site that discusses all the different optic mounting standards out there. I found another site that said the RDS that came with the Girsan was compatible with a Vortex so Burris FF3 should be fine to use

https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone else ever try to put a Venom or FF on theirs? I just got mine, and that red dot on it looks like pure trash. Also sent a message to CHPWS to see if they can help out - I imagine a 507K would look great on one of these.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#8]
OK, status update.

First, sent the plate and red dot to Buck at CHPWS after shamelessly trading on some shared connections. We'll see what comes of it, but I did ask for a 507K compatible plate, which I think makes the most sense for this gun.

Second, holsters. I had fun delusions of using this gun in IDPA/USPSA single stack, so a suitable holster was high on my list.

The GLS standard long holster seems to fit. I think the shim is necessary to really make it fully secure, and I don't really feel like cracking it open to deal with that.

I found a Cytac holster on Amazon that fits (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WTLNMC/) this gun. Honestly, the holster is underwhelming Chinesium, but to its credit, it does in fact fit the gun. Unfortunately, the hole pattern seems to be proprietary, so I had to order their overpriced belt clip (no way I'm using a paddle attachment). ETA: appropriate clip is this one (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8S8NGS/). Ordered the wrong one the first time. Not really impressed with it compared to, say, a Bladetech, but at least it's not a paddle, and it does seem like it'll stay put when locked closed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Further updates:

I wanted to use my GSG 22lr conversion kit in it, but found that the magazine release did not hold them in. Swapping to a Greider Precision release fixed the issue, and it was a drop-in fit. I will be doing a bit of reliability testing later. The magazine release is still a bit stiffer than I'd prefer, but that may even out over time.

CHPWS is making my 507K plate. No ETA, but this is going to be amazing for everyone else who doesn't want to be married to a Docter footprint.

Reliability has been fantastic with my reloads (~5.3gr Unique).
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Think it was a Cytac holster I picked up cheap at the NRA show.  It works, but nothing special.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
CHPWS finished the 507K plate. Looks fantastic, and fits my gun like a glove. I don't know if they can produce them on demand or what (one would think so?), but it's a cheaper option for a better dot on the MC1911S optics platform.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
@erwos I do not see the plate on their website...is it a special order?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
@erwos I do not see the plate on their website...is it a special order?
View Quote

Yes. Paid them a fair bit of cash for it, too. I don't know what they'd charge someone else.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Well darn...is the standard cut underneath a Docter or anything specific like that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Well darn...is the standard cut underneath a Docter or anything specific like that?
View Quote

No idea. The plate is Docter, so I'd assume the cut underneath isn't. CHPWS didn't make any noises like they'd seen the pattern before, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#16]
Nice...if its Docter...the new Steiner MPS will work
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have heard mixed reviews of the plate's ability to actually function across Docter footprint red dots, though. But I also can't say I spent much time messing with them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
If it comes to it..my local custom shop can mill me a new plate for much lower than CHWPS...so I'll go that route...if the Docter plate is meh...
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked mine up. I’m actually surprised by the overall fit. Especially the barrel. Solid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#20]
Picked mine up. I’m actually surprised by the overall fit. Especially the barrel. Solid.
View Quote

It's really not a bad gun for the money. Trigger blows, though. I bought a Nighthawk drop-in trigger system the other day, and I'm going to see if that works. Bumps up the price, but I'm using a GSG conversion on it for RFPI use, so I can stomach it.

Also, to CHPWS' credit, the plate they milled up was pretty nice, and followed the slide's contours to the front. I think you could kitbash something cheaper, but I do feel like I saw where my money went.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Installed the Nighthawk Drop-In Trigger System after running the MC1911S at a match today (zero failures - ran like a champ). The NH DTS does drop right in, zero fitting required. Probably the easiest install of anything I've ever done to a 1911 outside of the mag release. The safety spring is not intuitive, but the video shows you how to put it in. I did the usual safety tests and experienced no problems - hammer won't drop if the safety is off and I'm not gripping it, and it won't drop if the safety is on even if I'm gripping. The trigger improvement is dramatic - much smoother and lighter. Not quite as nice as my real competition guns, but considering it's zero downtime and maybe 30 minutes of install work (for a newbie who's never done anything to a 1911), it works for me. Will function test later, but not expecting any problems.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I stumbled upon these while looking for other optic ready 1911s.

So this can be used with the Venom using stock plate or custom plate from CHPS to use with another optic?

How easy would it be to drop in a threaded barrel? I'm new to 1911s and all the fitting they might need.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Falconpunchjr:
I stumbled upon these while looking for other optic ready 1911s.

So this can be used with the Venom using stock plate or custom plate from CHPS to use with another optic?

How easy would it be to drop in a threaded barrel? I'm new to 1911s and all the fitting they might need.
View Quote

The stock plate is FF3/Docter. So, in theory, the Venom should work. I've heard mixed reviews about the sight staying on, but the internet is full of idiots who don't know how to use thread locker.

Barrels in 1911s require fitting, and depending on how much fitting, you might even need a chamber reamer. I personally would not bother. I agree that it would be nice if they made a threaded model.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#24]
For my first 1911 I like it a lot. Has everything I want rail, red dot and soon a threaded barrel. I'm so glad I took the mounting plate off to locktight it none was on it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered one like the above picture.  I have a FF3.  Im looking at threaded barrels now.  Ill ask my gunsmith what he recommends.  I saw a Swenson barrel for $72!  Ed brown makes one for $250.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top