Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2020 4:03:02 PM EDT
Is gifting a pistol to someone in another state legal? Could I have it shipped to an FFL in the their state?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is gifting a pistol to someone in another state legal? Could I have it shipped to an FFL in the their state?
View Quote

as long as it goes through an ffl to them in their state from an ffl in their state it's legal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

as long as it goes through an ffl to them in their state from an ffl in their state it's legal.
View Quote

So I would have to ship it from an FFL to theirs, or I can buy it online and have it shipped to their FFL?

Or, can I just go to their FFL and have them transfer it at the time I give it to him?

I find it funny i can buy a gun in a state, move to a different one, then be able to do an FTF. But i have to go through hoops fir something like this.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Some people ship “gate hardware” from the UPS store to out-of-state FFL.

No insurance for cheap gate hardware.

Call the FFL to be sure he will transfer to your customer. If customer cannot provide reliable contact information for FFL, no gate hinges for him.

Or you can declare it, and pay stupid UPS air rates. That gate hinge better be damn special to pay overnight air. And the counter-cow is likely to make you rip open your carefully-packaged parcel to “confirm contents.”
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
clickd on "grifting pistol in another state" . . . .

off to make eye appt
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you drive there ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So I would have to ship it from an FFL to theirs, or I can buy it online and have it shipped to their FFL?

Or, can I just go to their FFL and have them transfer it at the time I give it to him?

I find it funny i can buy a gun in a state, move to a different one, then be able to do an FTF. But i have to go through hoops fir something like this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you can drive it there.
Ship it via ups
Pay an ffl to ship it for you to the other ffl.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Buy gun

2. Drive to where ever you're going.

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

As long as the giftee isn't prohibited it's not a straw purchase.

Or give giftee the cash and let him/her buy it themself.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Buy gun

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

View Quote

Interstate transfer of a handgun without an FFL involved on the receiving end is illegal period.
Not to mention state laws which are not a problem in free America but an entirely different matter in places like NJ MD CA IL MA and some others
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1. Buy gun

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Buy gun

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

This.

That's a felony.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interstate transfer of a handgun without an FFL involved on the receiving end is illegal period.
Not to mention state laws which are not a problem in free America but an entirely different matter in places like NJ MD CA IL MA and some others
View Quote

It's not a transfer if you're giving it to someone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  It's not a transfer if you're giving it to someone.
View Quote

It is if they're not a resident of your state.  Then it's gonna have to go through a FFL in their home state.  Thank Lyndon Johnson.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's literally the definition of transfer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Buy gun

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

Not just handguns.  Rifles, shotguns, etc.  Been this way since 1968.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to know.  So if I go visit my pops in Texas, so drive from Phoenix to Houston, to do some hog/dear hunting, and bring my rifle, all totally legal, and he thinks my rifle is sweet, so I tell him to keep it, that's a felony?  Just trying to make this clear for everyone....
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Good to know.  So if I go visit my pops in Texas, so drive from Phoenix to Houston, to do some hog/dear hunting, and bring my rifle, all totally legal, and he thinks my rifle is sweet, so I tell him to keep it, that's a felony?  Just trying to make this clear for everyone....
View Quote

Yup.  Unless you go through an FFL.  You can thank LBJ.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good to know.  So if I go visit my pops in Texas, so drive from Phoenix to Houston, to do some hog/dear hunting, and bring my rifle, all totally legal, and he thinks my rifle is sweet, so I tell him to keep it, that's a felony?  Just trying to make this clear for everyone....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% a felony.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless the pistol in question has a sentiment of some kind, better off buying a gift certificate.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Much easier & safer for all.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply WRONG.
You are committing a Federal felony level interstate transfer of possession of a handgun.
You can deliver it in person the the FFL in his state.
Or pay the ridiculous Common Carrier charges.
Their employees are well known to steal the guns in shipment.
By forcing the shipper to use 'Next Day' the gun is in their hand
for a shorter time and undergoes tighter tracking.

Often scanned at every way point through their network both into
the building (off the truck) and out of the building (onto another truck).
It makes it much easier to track down when something went 'missing.'

I used to package handguns in mover size  'book boxes' with lots of wadded up paper.
Lot tougher to take a box that large out of a sorting facility without attracting attention.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Buy gun

3. Give gun as gift.

4. Done.

Not exactly.
For long guns he could come visit you, both of you go to an FFL in YOUR state.
The FFL can transfer the gun to him as long as all laws of YOUR state AND HIS state are followed.

For handguns the FFL must be in the recipient's state.

Note that FFLs can also use USPS to move handguns between themselves.
Something prohibited to non-FFLs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than one

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top