Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2022 1:02:37 PM EDT
I’ve been into shooting/guns for over a decade but I have never carried. Not even once.

I know the general advice “practice drawing and holstering” and “a good holster is the one that best suites you.” However, I’m having trouble deciding on a holster and what position I want to carry in. Comfort and safety is more important than deep concealment, however, I don’t want to open carry.

Any general suggestions or holster recommendations for a Sig p365 (non XL version)?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Vedder light tuck

I’ve carried guns from g19 to smiths to my current edc (sig p365xl with a dot) in a Vedder light tuck. I have the carbon fiber holstex version. I swear by these. Extremely comfortable. I carry around the 3-4 o’clock position as awib is just uncomfortable for my needs.  Check out some YouTube reviews. Attachment Attached File

ETA I clip to to a nexbelt titan ratchet belt
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My advice to others in your position has been to not get caught up in paralysis by analysis surrounding details.   Pick a reputable belt and holster to start practicing and carrying.   You won't know what is best for you without trial and error and by doing.   Expect a cycle of try, use, modify, try, use, modify for a while and a bunch of gear accumulated if on a quest for an ideal carry setup.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice to others in your position has been to not get caught up in paralysis by analysis surrounding details.   Pick a reputable belt and holster to start practicing and carrying.   You won't know what is best for you without trial and error and by doing.   Expect a cycle of try, use, modify, try, use, modify for a while and a bunch of gear accumulated if on a quest for an ideal carry setup.
View Quote

This is the best advice.
I started my EDC journey a year ago and found that most of my money was spent on holsters.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate saying this to folks getting into it because it might scare you away. However if you have the gun the best thing to do is buy some holsters and try them. Most of the folks here who carry likely have drawers or boxes full of holsters. What works perfect for me won’t work for you. That said I have been a big fan of Milt Sparks lately and they make some excellent IWB holsters that are comfortable. Also don’t skimp on a good belt though it won’t be as critical with the 365s light weight. Never hurts to check the equipment exchange and save a few bucks until you have found the method you prefer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hate saying this to folks getting into it because it might scare you away. However if you have the gun the best thing to do is buy some holsters and try them. Most of the folks here who carry likely have drawers or boxes full of holsters. What works perfect for me won’t work for you. That said I have been a big fan of Milt Sparks lately and they make some excellent IWB holsters that are comfortable. Also don’t skimp on a good belt though it won’t be as critical with the 365s light weight. Never hurts to check the equipment exchange and save a few bucks until you have found the method you prefer.
View Quote

Good post from a fellow box of holsters person.

I only went through 3 before finding what I liked for the 365.  

I carry my P365 in a Milt Sparks SS2.  It was available ready to ship and they hit it out of the park on that holster.  I did have to buy the 1.75" belt loops as my Hanks Bison belt was too thick for their 1.5".
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Another advocate for Milt Sparks, I have a Versa Max 2 for my RD topped P320, now they offer the holsters with magnets instead snaps, utter perfection.   If you do decide to go with a Milt Sparks, since you normally have a waiting period, I would suggest picking up a relatively inexpensive owb holster so you can concentrate on presentation.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Good belt, good holster.  Carry around the house till your comfortable with your setup.
Quit worrying about the public seeing your firearm.  99.999% will never notice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was once where you were I have a pile of holsters that I lend out to my friends all the time and occasionally I find a friend who likes something I hate and give them or they buy something off me.  Holster is part of the equation but once you find how you like to carry it is honestly a small part the biggest and best thing to invest in is a good belt.  I cannot emphasize how important a good stiff belt is it helps distribute the weight and if you worry about being concealed it stops the sag that makes the grip of your handgun stick out.  

If you are not 100% comfortable wear around the house, look at yourself in the mirror often, adjust positions, tweak your holster if it has adjustments, practice drawing in front of a mirror(do it unloaded till you are ready for hot carry also remember keep the booger hook out of the trigger guard when drawing/reholstering.  Never get in a hurry to reholstering take all the time you need to observe YES LOOK and insert.

Ask questions ask us anything really I mean it we are hear to help.  IM one of us if you want one on one advice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good belt, good holster.  Carry around the house till your comfortable with your setup.
Quit worrying about the public seeing your firearm.  99.999% will never notice.
View Quote

This right here. Most people wouldn’t notice if your hair was in fire walking down the street there to preoccupied with everything else to pay attention.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This right here. Most people wouldn’t notice if your hair was in fire walking down the street there to preoccupied with everything else to pay attention.
View Quote

Most people to busy Facespaceing or tweetgramming.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most people to busy Facespaceing or tweetgramming.
View Quote

Bill Belichick, is that you?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another advocate for Milt Sparks, I have a Versa Max 2 for my RD topped P320, now they offer the holsters with magnets instead snaps, utter perfection.   If you do decide to go with a Milt Sparks, since you normally have a waiting period, I would suggest picking up a relatively inexpensive owb holster so you can concentrate on presentation.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0292_JPG-2241929.jpg
View Quote

Milt Sparks has p365 and certain Glock model Summer Special II holsters available in stock I believe. Probably the best iwb holster made imo. I also like High Noon Holsters out of Florida, good people to deal with and quick turnaround. Belts are great too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If you manage to find the absolute best holster on your first try, you'll be pretty unique.  There are some good suggestions above, the only one of those I have any experience with is the Vedder Light Tuck.  It's a nice holster.  I was also cursed with a box full of holsters trying to find what worked best for me.  In the beginning I tried to get something that offered some ability to play with ride height and cant.  Eventually I found what clicked, and all 3 of the guns in the carry rotation (CZ P10C, M&P 2.0 Compact, and a Shield) ended up in Tulster Profile holsters carried at about 3:30 with about 10 degrees of cant.  A good belt was mentioned above too, don't underestimate the importance of that.  I started out with a Kore Essentials ratchet belt for the small adjustment increments it offers and haven't seen a need to change.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Over time, and after trying a few different holsters, you’ll find a comfortable carry location and style. When you look at holsters, evaluate the part of the holster that contacts your body. ANY sharp edge (such as a clean cut piece of kydex or leather will cause a hot spot and will be uncomfortable. Expect the first week or so to adjust to carrying. It will feel heavy, bulky and visible to everyone.

Be aware of ‘tells’. As you carry.  Don’t constantly fiddle with your clothes to make sure your weapon is covered. Don’t constantly touch your weapon to be sure it’s secure. Etc.

Good belt first thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You will end up with a milk carton of holsters. That’s normal.

After 15 years of carrying almost daily I’ve settled on hybrid holsters. They have their downsides, and like ANY carry method you need to be careful, holster slowly and ensure nothing gets caught in the trigger guard. But for comfort and concealment I haven’t found anything better.

I’m excited to try my ventcore I have on order. We’ll see, I might have finally found THE holster. I love my MTAC, but they offer very few options for guns with lights.

I’d recommend starting with IWB at 3-4 o’clock. There are other methods… Appendix is the new hotness, and has advantages with speed and weapon retention but it has legitimate safety concerns as well. I won’t delve into that here, but I don’t think it’s what I would recommend to a newbie. Ankle, pocket, etc are more scenario specific.

Become really good at drawing, pressing out, acquiring your front slight picture, and pulling the trigger. Doing that well is the single most important skill you need to have besides mindset. Everything else is mostly there to sell YouTube clicks and class seats.

Finally mindset, that’s the most important thing period. Your goal is to NOT use your gun. It’s there for a last resort. Carrying a firearm is a very serious thing and it needs to be taken seriously. If you do everything right in a shooting it’s still going to rock your world and not in a good way. If you do something wrong it can ruin your life.

All that being said we need as many good people as possible carrying as often as possible. It makes us and our country safer and proves freedom hating people wrong every single time. It’s simply stated, the right and patriotic thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
There has been some very good information provided, the only thing that was not added is shoulder rigs. They carry quite comfortably especially the ones that provide two magazine carriers to offset the weight. My favorite in colder weather, I sweat too much in summer and don’t want to damage my holsters/carriers.
The main thing is act normal, and as time passes you will not think twice about your EDC unless it is needed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was once where you were I have a pile of holsters that I lend out to my friends all the time and occasionally I find a friend who likes something I hate and give them or they buy something off me.  Holster is part of the equation but once you find how you like to carry it is honestly a small part the biggest and best thing to invest in is a good belt.  I cannot emphasize how important a good stiff belt is it helps distribute the weight and if you worry about being concealed it stops the sag that makes the grip of your handgun stick out.  

If you are not 100% comfortable wear around the house, look at yourself in the mirror often, adjust positions, tweak your holster if it has adjustments, practice drawing in front of a mirror(do it unloaded till you are ready for hot carry also remember keep the booger hook out of the trigger guard when drawing/reholstering.  Never get in a hurry to reholstering take all the time you need to observe YES LOOK and insert.

Ask questions ask us anything really I mean it we are hear to help.  IM one of us if you want one on one advice.
View Quote
This is all good advice. Only thing I'd add is to try and resist the temptation to fiddle with the gun or holster once it's on you (initial fitment with a cold gun aside). The root cause of many NDs is people messing around with a gun that doesn't need to be touched. Holster the thing and don't touch it unless you absolutely have to.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve been into shooting/guns for over a decade but I have never carried. Not even once.

I know the general advice “practice drawing and holstering” and “a good holster is the one that best suites you.” However, I’m having trouble deciding on a holster and what position I want to carry in. Comfort and safety is more important than deep concealment, however, I don’t want to open carry.

Any general suggestions or holster recommendations for a Sig p365 (non XL version)?

Thank you!
View Quote

If you're starting with no direction, go with the lesson everyone else has learned.

Start with just a strong side carry.

My three big categories of IWB holsters for that position:
- Kydex - Just google "P365 kydex holster", people always recommend what they use, and generally they all work, might have pokey spots on the holster that rub you the wrong way...maybe
- Leather - I carry my P365 in a Braid's Holster, I'm not saying its special, but I bought it and it works well enough that I never needed to shop for another
- Hybrid - Stealth Gear or Alien Gear, I think its the most comfortable holster you can carry with, but downsides is its less convenient to don and doff and I leave all my carry guns in their holster 24/7, and the hybrids are can of big to put in a lock box or self with other stuff

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have used this holster for more than 20 years.  It is OWB, which I like, covers with a T-shirt or polo. Relatively cheap, so If you decide to add it to the drawer collection your not out much.  

I wear it at about 4 o'clock

Don Hume JIT

Similar but more expensive.

Desantis
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#20]
OWB can be concealed [almost] just as well as IWB. It will depend on how you dress of course, but I prefer OWB anymore, especially with mid to full sized guns... Actually come to think of it, the only thing I A-IWB anymore is my J-frame in a Harry's holster. I've tried with many other guns, including a Glock 43 and just found it awkward and uncomfortable... The rounded profile of the J-frame just fits perfect.

Anyway, good luck. This all boils down to what you will be comfortable with, what works for your identical twin, might not for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OWB can be concealed [almost] just as well as IWB. It will depend on how you dress of course, but I prefer OWB anymore, especially with mid to full sized guns... Actually come to think of it, the only thing I A-IWB anymore is my J-frame in a Harry's holster. I've tried with many other guns, including a Glock 43 and just found it awkward and uncomfortable... The rounded profile of the J-frame just fits perfect.

Anyway, good luck. This all boils down to what you will be comfortable with, what works for your identical twin, might not for you.
View Quote

I have entirely switching to OWB except when I wear gym shorts.  OWB is just more comfortable and faster according to my shot timer for me.  Injures from my younger life make IWB/AWIB uncomfortable and sometimes down right extremely painful.  I also really do not care if I print anymore whatsoever.  I alternate between a G17 or G19 and I am trying to or considering how I could add a 2nd backup mag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The good thing about the gun you are planning to carry is that it is extremely popular.  if you happen to invest in pricey holsters and some don’t work for you, you should be able to sell them fairly easily and recoup a decent chunk of the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top