Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2018 6:30:23 PM EDT
So way back in 2008 I bought a lightly used Kimber Desert Warrior. I kept it about a year and a local cop who is a 1911 fanatic talked me out of it. Fast forward to a few  days ago and I asked him about letting it go and he said yes.  Admittedly I’m not up on all things 1911 so go easy.  I’m going to suppress it ASAP and am looking for the best option for a threaded barrel.  I’m not sure what kind of gunsmiths are around me so if a barrel has to have too much fitting done I’ll most likely have to send it off.  I’ve done some googling but I find more pistols with threaded barrels than anything.  Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So way back in 2008 I bought a lightly used Kimber Desert Warrior. I kept it about a year and a local cop who is a 1911 fanatic talked me out of it. Fast forward to a few  days ago and I asked him about letting it go and he said yes.  Admittedly I’m not up on all things 1911 so go easy.  I’m going to suppress it ASAP and am looking for the best option for a threaded barrel.  I’m not sure what kind of gunsmiths are around me so if a barrel has to have too much fitting done I’ll most likely have to send it off.  I’ve done some googling but I find more pistols with threaded barrels than anything.  Thanks in advance.

Brandon
View Quote
Kimber makes a threaded barrel model and they sell threaded barrels. Kimber does not fit anything. They use a lot of cast and MIM parts which came be made to more exact tolerances than Forged Steel and don't require fitting. That is why Dan wesson's, Wilson's, Ed Brown's, and Les Bear's cost two to three times more. They are built with forged steel parts which require a skilled gunsmith to fit and assemble. Putting together a Kimber is like putting together a Glock. Call Kimber and order one of their Threaded barrels, drop it in, and be done with it. I have a factory Kimber that came with a threaded factory barrel in 9mm. Works great.

Here is my Kimber that Came From the Factory with a threaded barrel; Custom TLE II in 9mm. All I did was change the Grips and Thread Protector.

10 yards, 9 rounds shot Unsupported

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple enough.  I’ll be calling Kimber next week for a barrel. My Jericho 941 threaded barrel project was such an ordeal I halfway expected the same issue going from a non-factory threaded gun to a threaded one.  Thank you.

Brandon
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
will a Kimber 9mm threaded barrel work in a colt?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
will a Kimber 9mm threaded barrel work in a colt?
View Quote
Probably not. Kimber uses Ramped barrels. Colt does not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m so gracious for this post I had the same question for my KHX Pro OR... I’ll be calling Kimber tomorrow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top