Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 6:39:04 PM EDT
Got a good deal on a Gen4 G17, no barrel or internal parts on slide.

This will be a plain vanilla house gun shooting factory JHP. Reliable is #1 criteria.

1. Barrel recommendations? So many aftermarket choices now...

2. Heard the Gen4s had some extractor issues.  Since there is presently no extractor, any recommendations?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What is wrong with the gen 4 extractors?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
For your intended use I'd just stick with factory parts.  Nothing wrong with OEM extractors.  Buy a slide completion kit (if you can find one in stock) and check the EE for a lightly used factory barrel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an entire Factory slide kit from Big Tex outdoors for a bare milled RMR slide I bought.  Works Flawless. If you’re not going with an OEM barrel I would go KKM.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been pretty please with Faxon barrels. I have 3 flame fluted and 2 duty, they drop right in and have been accurate shooters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
CDNN had some great deals on Storm Lake barrels for around $80.00. I am not sure if they have any more but they are a great barrel for the money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I am looking at the Storm Lake and the Adams Arms barrels on CDNN now.

Edit: ended up going with the Adams, which seems like an early Voodoo tactical.

Welcome sources for OEM slide completion kits.

Will probably put Warren Night sights on it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Update:  the Adams Nitride barrel arrived from CDNN. Cleanly machined, goes into battery and chambers live rounds (there is no extractor or firing pin in the slide yet).

Will shoot and report.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Apex makes a “failure resistant extractor”.  I have one on a P80.  

I’ve been lazy and haven’t paid enough attention to how it ejects bras compared to my other pistols with factory extractors.  Pretty sure the red dot on that pistol hasn’t taken brass to the lense though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top