Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/21/2018 4:36:25 PM EDT
Two firsts with one gun; my first HK pistol, and first .40 caliber gun.

I currently own a mixture of different brands, and four are Sig pistols, the 1911 Carry Nightmare, P239, P320, and P229 Legion.  I've never owned anything from H&K.  Back in 2004 I sold off my Gen 1 Glock G17 and went to the gunshop to check out something I could shoot better.  The Glock was OK, but my "groupings" looked like a shotgun blast on the target.  I liked one H&K but I don't remember which one, but loved the P239 and bought it.

I always considered the .40 caliber to be the answer to a question I wasn't asking.  I have 10mm, and started carrying .357 Sig for two of my primary EDC guns (P229 and P320).

This is one of the police trade-in pistols that are flooding the market, and I figured it was a good time to get something in .40 in case there's another ammo shortage.  During the obama ammo shortage I could find .40 locally, but 9mm, .45acp, or .357- fuggetaboutit.

I plan to use this for occasional carry and as a house gun.

Summit has some nice looking ones and the price is right.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The USP was built around the 40. Great shooting 40 gun. I have one for the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got an armorer's manual if you need one.

Good to have just in case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome Rob, PM'd you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
USP .40 full size is my current Duty pistol.  Mines a private purchase so I'm picking up some grip tape to keep the butt and magwell from getting torn up on car doors and door frames.

Great gun, it won't disappoint.

With Trijicon orange HDs I consistently shoot high 90s on qualification. I can't do that with any other .40 caliber pistol I've owned.

I'd buy another if the price was right. Say, care to link us to this "summit" place? my google fu is weak.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I had meant to put a link in but forgot.

Home page has pictures of them in their boxes http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

There are several options; guns with and without their boxes.

Since his website can be just a bit difficult to find your way around in...

Full size: http://summitgunbroker.com/hk-usp-v1.html

Compact: http://summitgunbroker.com/usp-compact.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
USP is a work horse.

Unless you shoot over 1K rounds a week your great great grandkids might experience a failure before you.

A little over 12K through my 2006 USP 9 with only the decock lever  having an issue due to not being lubed for more than a year and some shitty ammo.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered a USP in .40 with the LEM trigger from Copper Custom for $365 plus shipping. I'm turbo excited.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered a USP in .40 with the LEM trigger from Copper Custom for $365 plus shipping. I'm turbo excited.
View Quote
LEM=
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LEM=
View Quote
To each his own but I think the LEm is the best trigger.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been eyeballing those USP40's at summit for some time and just saw the sale yesterday.

Will not be able to hold out much longer.  Tempted by the USP Compact .40.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both a USP compact and the full size version and like them both.  At the prices listed at Summit I am tempted to buy a spare one.  I paid more when I bought mine and am very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a trade-in USP .40 from Summit last year, and liked it so well I bought a second one!  At the time he also had spare mags at $13 each.  I have fairly long fingers, and the LOP on the USP works really well for my hands.

Mainsail - this is what I always carry when I am at my property across the canal from your work place.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a trade-in USP .40 from Summit last year, and liked it so well I bought a second one!  At the time he also had spare mags at $13 each.  I have fairly long fingers, and the LOP on the USP works really well for my hands.

Mainsail - this is what I always carry when I am at my property across the canal from your work place.
View Quote
That's funny, I was just sitting here daydreaming while I clicked through the forum, and was considering a run over there to the Mt Zion shooting pit this weekend.  I won't have the USP, but several other pistols and my shockwave need running.  Indian summer!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had my USP 40 since 1994. Out of the nine handguns I own, the USP is my go to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I only own one .40 S&W handgun and it’s a full size USP. It’s an outstanding pistol and the best shooting .40 there is IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LEM=
View Quote
You can say that again.  If someone gave me 10 USP .40s for free I'd sell them all and use the cash towards 9mm and .45 models too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LEM=
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEM=
LEM is legit, especially in the LEM/Match hybrid config.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I got H&K USP .40 Variant 3 for $400.00 back in 2010. It came with factory hard case, factory installed night sights, three 13rd magazine, and a Insight made H&K marked UTL MkII light. The gun was made back in 2002 and the night sights are still nice a bright.

Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, that appears in great shape. Did you ask Summit to hand-pick one or are they all that clean?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, that appears in great shape. Did you ask Summit to hand-pick one or are they all that clean?
View Quote
I spoke to Mark at Summit; he didn't offer a hand-pick option and I've never seen him do business that way.  I asked him if they looked as good as the one in the picture and he said they did.

I got the slightly more expensive option of getting one of the guns that has a box (as shown on the Summit home page), however I do not know if it's a matching numbers box or just a box.  I'm *assuming* it comes with two magazines as shown in the photos but I forgot to ask.  I will post up pics when I finally get it.

After some fumbles, my FFL got his license sent over and I believe the gun is on its way there right now.  He's out on a hunting trip though so I may have to wait a few more days.

In preparation I just ordered a recoil spring and mag springs from Wolff; I hope I ordered the right ones because the Wolff website is somewhat confusing.  It also does not say if I'm getting only the big spring or both.  If anyone has replaced theirs with Wolff's maybe they can chime in and let me know.

I picked up a 200 round pack of aluminum cased .40s from walmarts the other day, and am getting ready to order some Underwood 165gr bonded JHP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I spoke to Mark at Summit; he didn't offer a hand-pick option and I've never seen him do business that way.  I asked him if they looked as good as the one in the picture and he said they did.

I got the slightly more expensive option of getting one of the guns that has a box (as shown on the Summit home page), however I do not know if it's a matching numbers box or just a box.  I'm *assuming* it comes with two magazines as shown in the photos but I forgot to ask.  I will post up pics when I finally get it.

After some fumbles, my FFL got his license sent over and I believe the gun is on its way there right now.  He's out on a hunting trip though so I may have to wait a few more days.

In preparation I just ordered a recoil spring and mag springs from Wolff; I hope I ordered the right ones because the Wolff website is somewhat confusing.  It also does not say if I'm getting only the big spring or both.  If anyone has replaced theirs with Wolff's maybe they can chime in and let me know.

I picked up a 200 round pack of aluminum cased .40s from walmarts the other day, and am getting ready to order some Underwood 165gr bonded JHP.
View Quote
Im interested to see some pics when it arrives. Seems like the general consensus from Summit is gtg. I thought I had sworn off .40's but the price for the USP compact at Summit is very tempting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, this thread. I was very close to ordering a USP40 from Summit Gunbroker because of it. I’m glad I held off. I snagged a USP40 AA date code with Mepros (still got plenty of glow), two mags and factory box and - best of all - a match trigger installed. I recognized it immediately and the DA is very smooth. $411.34 OTD you understand I had to do it. Good deals to be had all around these days.

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Man, this thread. I was very close to ordering a USP40 from Summit Gunbroker because of it. I’m glad I held off. I snagged a USP40 AA date code with Mepros (still got plenty of glow), two mags and factory box and - best of all - a match trigger installed. I recognized it immediately and the DA is very smooth. $411.34 OTD you understand I had to do it. Good deals to be had all around these days.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87517/2675BCCA-30DF-4774-B3B9-C261E0A96252-690484.jpg
View Quote
You did good, that's a nice looking AA (2000).  I ordered a similar setup from Summit, but with 5 total mags, and the total came out to $492.34.  Hope it looks as good as yours.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87517/2675BCCA-30DF-4774-B3B9-C261E0A96252-690484.jpg
View Quote
Gray box is the best box.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have both a USP compact and the full size version and like them both.  At the prices listed at Summit I am tempted to buy a spare one.  I paid more when I bought mine and am very happy with them.
View Quote
Are the by both .40S&W? How do they shoot comparatively?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been to the range much this last year due to working crazy OT (at 1000 hours right now) but they both are comfortable to shoot.  I like the compact enough that I keep waiting for my friend to finally sell me his so I can have a spare.  I was also able to load up on cheap magazines for both several years ago so these two won't be leaving my collection.

Edit.  They are both in .40
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You did good, that's a nice looking AA (2000).  I ordered a similar setup from Summit, but with 5 total mags, and the total came out to $492.34.  Hope it looks as good as yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My FFL returned from his (successful) hunting trip and I picked up the USP.

Looks like the one in the quoted pic above, and the serial numbers aren't all that far apart.  What is the significance of the AA?

The condition is very good.  There was some lint behind the hammer to remind me it was carried a bit.  A field strip shows the insides look like new; there's not even any residue like it's ever been fired.  The barrel smiley is very faint and the rails aren't showing any wear.  The extractor has some discoloration (it's not rust) that I don't understand.  The night sights are so dim as to call them done.

I gave it a quick cleaning and we're planning to drive up to the mountains tomorrow to put a few rounds through it.

EDIT to add: The warranty card came with the manual- think I can register it?

A few poor cell phone pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
AA is the manufacturing date code.

2000 gun
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Extractor color is from hardening process
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#31]
New sights installed.

I would have taken out and shot it but I have a P365 coming in for the wife, so I postponed it until that shows up.

Tapped some new sights on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
USP is a work horse.

Unless you shoot over 1K rounds a week your great great grandkids might experience a failure before you.

A little over 12K through my 2006 USP 9 with only the decock lever  having an issue due to not being lubed for more than a year and some shitty ammo.

View Quote
Maybe in 9mm.

In .40, look for failures to start showing up around the 10-15K mark.  Usually things like hammer struts and trigger return springs.  Those are cheap and fixable.  After that come recoil assemblies and trigger bars. Still cheap enough.

Above 20K, look for things like the guide rod opening at the front of the pistol to start coming apart.

Just things to look out for.

They're still pretty stout guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Got out to shoot the USP today.  Dang I like this gun!  It shoots softly for what it is (.40 S&W) and I experienced no problems whatsoever.  I was getting a few shells to the face with Blazer aluminum but once I switched over to the Underwood 165 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Points it was throwing the empties smartly left and away.

The new sights needed some adjustments to bring the group down, but the left-right was perfect.

This one is going in the carry lineup starting tomorrow.

Cleaning it tonight I noticed this ring around the end of the barrel.  Anyone have any ideas what that's about?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got out to shoot the USP today.  Dang I like this gun!  It shoots softly for what it is (.40 S&W) and I experienced no problems whatsoever.  I was getting a few shells to the face with Blazer aluminum but once I switched over to the Underwood 165 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Points it was throwing the empties smartly left and away.

The new sights need some adjustments to bring the group down, but the left-right was perfect.

This one is going in the carry lineup starting tomorrow.

Cleaning it tonight I noticed this ring around the end of the barrel.  Anyone have any ideas what that's about?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/USP_Barrel1_jpg-725982.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/USP_Barrel1a_jpg-725983.JPG
View Quote
That's just where the slide locks up on the barrel. Normal.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top