Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2021 10:55:43 PM EDT
Those of you who have a 1911 with the front strap serrated (like older Gold Cups, for example) - how would you compare it to checkering?

Is it "grippy enough", or do you wish you had it straight up checkered instead?

I'm trying to decide what I want done on a future project, and while checkering is fine, I'm thinking I may want something a little different..but not at the cost of getting it and finding out I should have gone straight to checkering in the first place, either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Those of you who have a 1911 with the front strap serrated (like older Gold Cups, for example) - how would you compare it to checkering?

Is it "grippy enough", or do you wish you had it straight up checkered instead?

I'm trying to decide what I want done on a future project, and while checkering is fine, I'm thinking I may want something a little different..but not at the cost of getting it and finding out I should have gone straight to checkering in the first place, either.
View Quote
Checkering reigns supreme.  Every thing else is just cost cutting cheap shit stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My Colt Gunsight has serrated and my Wiley Clapp has 25lpi. The Gunsite serrations  are better than nothing and that’s the way it came. Looks okay. If I was sending a gun out for work, no way I’d pick it over checkering. Checkering provides much better grip.

I like the 25lpi the best between that, the 30 on my Operator and 20 on my Professional.

All 4 of my 1911’s have a different pattern.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
24 / 25 lpi checkering as long as you don't have baby hands. I have had both checkered and serrated 1911's. Serrated are ok, nothing spectacular. Checkering is the way to go. 30 lpi is too fine in my opinion, 24 lpi gives you good purchase but doesnt tear up your hands badly, 20 lpi is cheese grater territory.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Checkering reigns supreme.  Every thing else is just cost cutting cheap shit stuff.
View Quote

I did both both of my operators.......was nervous at first but they turned out great.
Not hard to do OP, just have to be patient.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks for the info...checkering it is. I've got a couple with checkering currently and mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
when I was shooting a 1911 in .45 I hand checkered a couple of Colts, had a machine checkered Caspian frame, but for competition I really preferred a stippled frame... diamond point punch with a dulled point... you work over the material  until the texture forms with the tip just off the surface and tap with hammer... similar to the factory High Standard Trophy
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no use for serrations and their presence on the Gold Cup is one of the reasons I don't like them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
SACS, when they actually did custom work, 25LPI with colt style undercut was perfect. Serrations don't seem like they do anything. I don't like the serrations on the front of the M9.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I legged out with the 1911 and shoot a lot of bullseye and service pistol. Checkering is fair and away my preference over serrations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I absolutely agree with this.

Also, it’s counter intuitive, but deep and sharp 20 LPI checkering is grippier and tears you up way less than shallow 30 or 40 LPI serrations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer checkering.

I have one with 20lpi and one with 30lpi. The 20lpi is hands down my favorite!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Checkering all day every day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer 20 LPI and rough VZ grips

25 LPI is ok but 30 is slick to my rough hands.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Serrations. I don't care for checkering, but I appreciate the work when it's well-done.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#15]
So who are the current go to shops for 25lpi front strap checkering?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I agree.

I have skateboard tape on my RIA.  Very cheap.  Very effective, but not as good as actual checkering.

Still better than serrations, however.

I have checkering on my Caspian framed .38 Super Gov't model clone, for being effective and looking good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No disagreement here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree.

I have skateboard tape on my RIA.  Very cheap.  Very effective, but not as good as actual checkering.

I have checkering on my Caspian framed .38 Super Gov't model clone, for being effective and looking good.
View Quote

Yup, I taped my RIA double stack too because the serrations were useless. Checkering is the best. I prefer 25 LPI
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Checkering by far
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry... today checkering in Any LPI is Not the end All grip solution.  I’ve got a Gold Cup, I’ve got a Brian Bilby full house Delta Elite with fine checkering, I have Brian Bilby’s with beautiful Stipling.   They all work perfectly.    Shit I have a 9mm govt with skateboard tape on front strap.... That works perfectly too!!

There is SO much innovative front strap treatment today that statement just holds little value

Go look at Ned Christiansen’s michiguns Ltd web site and be prepared to be blown away on innovative texturing

H
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Have both and smooth. Prefer checkered .
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I checked a year or two ago Clark custom guns was the cheapest I could find.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-service/machine-checkering/
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last one I had done was a Springfield Lightweight 5” in .45acp.

When I got the gun it had some surface scratches but looked unfixed inside.

Saltzman Gun Works in Tipton IN is about 45 minutes from me.

Great guy who does outstanding work ( I own a Nighthawk, Wilson and a couple Karl Sokol guns)

He refurbished what needed work and added sights, trigger and a few things to my liking.

The front strap was smooth so he added 25 LPI checkering.

Reliable, accurate and easy to carry. It’s one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Never understood the purpose of serrations. The few pistols I've shot or owned with them might as well not have had anything at all.

$.50 worth of grip tape is more functional than serrations.

Checkering is awesome, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I use skateboard tape, $10 for a large sheet of it will last me my lifetime. I really don't need any more grip than what it provides.

I do love the looks of a quality checkering job and it is functional, but if the gun didn't come with it it's a little too much $ after the fact.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#27]

I did these with Brownells checkering files....

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pete Single is THE MAN for front strap checkering.

https://petesingle.com
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
After years of shooting my TRP I thought I could never own a 1911 without front-strap checkering.  I was nervous buying my RO Elite Operator for that reason, but with the VZ Operator grips I added I don't miss it one bit.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#31]

That's really good work.  How difficult was that to do?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pete Single is THE MAN for front strap checkering.

https://petesingle.com
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's really good work.  How difficult was that to do?
View Quote

@Yojimbo

I made a jig out of angle iron to get the lines straight

once the file begins to cut rows, those rows become the giude to cut more rows

file file file file, then move over one notch....file file file file...

it’s easy once you get going, but you will wear our elbow out before it’s finished

afterwards, I have them industrial hard chromed

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#34]
20 lpi by hand, finished off with a single point file.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I have chain link on my STI.  It looks great and provides very good grip.  More than you need actually.  That said, if you want the grippiest pattern possible, it's checkering.  I've grown to prefer the chain link.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I just put talon rubber grip on my ccw best $2.50 I ever spent on gun accessories, paired with magpul tsp grips. I really like the feel, the factory finnish on the kimber is slick. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Checkered or stippled is my preference. That said many years ago Ed Novak did BHPs with an amazing wave pattern of stippling on the that was just awesome to look at worked well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I've done stippling from time to time.  Most people think it feels better than it looks.  This was the last one I did about 8 years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Skateboard grip tape. Prefect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Never understood the purpose of serrations. The few pistols I've shot or owned with them might as well not have had anything at all.

$.50 worth of grip tape is more functional than serrations.

Checkering is awesome, in my opinion.
View Quote

I like non skid tape, work great and very cheap. Does not alter  factory configuration.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like non skid tape, work great and very cheap. Does not alter  factory configuration.
View Quote
Have it on 2 of them now.

A Springfield GI and an MC Operator that I tossed the crummy Pachmayer's and replaced with Magpul/grip tape.

Like that combo almost as much as my Miller Custom checkered 1911.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I must be the only one but the only checkered 1911 I fired I found to become tiring after a long range session I surmise it was to aggressively done. Certainly not bad for a couple mags and gloves would have taken care of it. It definitely wasn’t going anywhere and accomplished the goal. It also looks the best of the 3 IMO especially with grip that are checkered similarly.

I ran a stippled Clark of a friends at one point that had good bite but not overboard. I believe this was the punch method pointed out above. The one I tried for lack of better explanation were largely spaced and few in number not overly aggressive but grippy.

For me of the three I’d pick serration for non-gloved use. I’ve got two gold cups with them and it’s tolerable. That said I far prefer a smooth front strap and proper grip texture to keep it where you want it, for that matter my favorite 1911 has a smooth front strap and mainspring housing both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I have both.  Serrations are not so good because they allow up and down movement, which is where you want hold most.  Grip tape is better than serrations unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Golf ball
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Checkered for the OP. But golfball is my fave.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Stippling is my favorite followed closely by checkering.  Here is a BHP I did a couple of years ago.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've done stippling from time to time.  Most people think it feels better than it looks.  This was the last one I did about 8 years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9714/kimber4_jpg-1783108.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9714/stippling_jpg-1783109.JPG
View Quote

Stippling usually looks like shit, that however, doesn't. Nice job.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I agree.

View Quote
I'm running grip tape as well until I can decide on milled ball grooves, or 25lpi.
I've also seen a sharkstooth stipple as well, on some older guns that was very positive in grip.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Checkering.  If serrations are horizontal they can be alright.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Goofball/chain link > stippling > serrations > checkering
For me that's how I view it. I'm not a huge fan of checkering. I put more weight/emphasis on grips than the frame treatment TBH.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top