Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2018 6:29:39 PM EDT
I've had a passing interest in this gun for years.  I first looked at them when IOMs and USGs were both available and now I see another variant is standard, the MkII.

The prices seemed to be in a good place on GB so I said the hell with it and went for it, ended up winning 2.

The first one showed up today.  I had never noticed the "lump" on the frontstrap before and the muzzle wasn't as obviously chrome lined as the pictures I had seen.  The breech was but the muzzle was just overall a grey color.  I had no idea these were blowback guns either and the trigger is damn good, better than I had thought so I don't get the complaints.  I do wish the magazine safety was not present though.

The safety is not as hard to actuate as some have claimed and I love the grip feel.  I'm a big guy though and find USPs and the Mark 23 and Beretta M9/92s comfortable as well.

I also couldn't believe how damn light the gun was.  When I first picked it up I about launched it through the ceiling.  My ammo won't be here until Monday, I can't wait to test it out.

I initially thought this would be a range toy only but the weight and ergonomics already have me thinking otherwise.  I might even try to get my wife on board with it but the grip might be too long.

I notice the mags have a stamped mfg date like a lot of polymer parts but strangely it is just the month and not the year.

I guess I will need a rimfire pistol cleaning kit since none of my pistol rods will fit through the tiny barrel.  This is all very different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m trying to talk myself into one.  The 1k price tag for the local guns prevent me from moving forward on one.  Still they seem to be nice pistols.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My shooting buddy allowed me to put
a few magazines through his, and I
was very impressed.

But not impressed enough to drop
the $$ on one. I'll stick to the 45ACP.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
A IOM was the first gun I purchased, with deployment money when I got back to Ft Hood in the spring 2004.  I bought it on gunbroker for $785 and had it transferred through Guns Galore in Killeen, the same shop that sold the five-seven to Nidal Hassan.  I sold mine about 8 years ago in Hawaii, couldn't get ammo for it at the time.  If only I could get one today for the same price.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FN is definitely charging what the market will bear, they are double what they SHOULDbe.

That being said, they hold their resale value better than any pistol I’ve seen that’s currently in production.

Also, I don’t regret paying $1,200.00 for mine (yes I’d rather have paid a lot less)

Keep in mind, if you don’t like it after purchasing it, you can get a pretty good price for it used.
View Quote
Just bought 2 x NIB MKIIs for under 1000 on GB.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It's my favorite pistol to shoot, well worth the $ due to how satisfying it is. I've shot milk jugs off hand with mine out to 150 yards - its very accurate at long range.

I actually worked a summer job for $8 an hour to save up for mine to buy the day I turned 21.

The recoil is great - feels like a sudden pulse. Paired with the flat trajectory, it's as close to a laser pistol as we have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I see a ton of them listed on gunbroker by what must be some wholesale seller at the moment, really tempted to pick one up.

Is FN about to roll out a mk3? Why so many for sale?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are brought into the U.S. in “batches”.

Shortly prices will rise again as they dry up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They are brought into the U.S. in “batches”.

Shortly prices will rise again as they dry up.
That's what I assumed because of how big of a glut there is now and how at other times I've seen almost none available.  I've never seen this many on GB at one time before though.  I ended up bidding on a total of 5 won 2, and nearly won a third.  I thought I was going to have 1 of them for about 850 but someone started bidding with less than 1m to go.

HK is like that too, batch importing some models.  Right now Mark 23s are selling for more than I've ever see because there is only 1 or 2 on GB at any given time.  I remember when 20+ were on GB and they were going for lower than I'd ever seen.

Quoted:
It's my favorite pistol to shoot, well worth the $ due to how satisfying it is. I've shot milk jugs off hand with mine out to 150 yards - its very accurate at long range.

I actually worked a summer job for $8 an hour to save up for mine to buy the day I turned 21.

The recoil is great - feels like a sudden pulse. Paired with the flat trajectory, it's as close to a laser pistol as we have.
I'm curious what yardage to zero to.  I've seen the posts about the POI difference between SS198 and AE 40gr.  I'll be zeroing with the SS198 and am thinking about either 25' or 50'.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the best guns ever made!

IMO
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One of the best guns ever made!

IMO
View Quote
At the very least, extremely innovative.

In an era where innovation is at a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At the very least, extremely innovative.

In an era where innovation is at a minimum.
View Quote
Completely agree
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Now I'm mad, one just sold for 865.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I can’t get a good sight picture with mine.  I blacked out the rear and filled in the white front dot with orange paint.  I also had to move the rear sight to the far right arrow, which is a significant adjustment.  I think the second problem is related to the first somehow.  I’m not flinching. Shots we’re center left, but my sight picture is just awful.  I’ve seen the aftermarket sight options and I’m not $300 committed to changing them.

Aside from that, I love this gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is what I'm talking about in regards to the chrome lining not being apparent from the muzzle end:

In every picture I've seen online it is readily apparent like usual with a CL barrel; a darker barrel finish being distinct from the near-white chrome lining.  Here it is just a uniform gray.

The bore itself is very copper colored from the factory test firing.

Compare my pictures to the stock photos here:

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fn-five-seven/
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks about normal compared to most online photos.  When you do the 360 spin thing on that sight, it looks lighter, but not still pics.

Is there an issue with that being the finish?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
My 2nd one came in today and it looks way more like the still photos.  From breech to muzzle the chrome lining is far more distinct on it.  The difference must be due to the exterior finish, sometimes it goes on lighter or something.

I've seen variation in how obvious chrome lining is before in my SIG pistols.

FYI the one I just got though from the same distributor is about 4k serials higher.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Comparison of the two:

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The one I’m wearing right now is like the left one in your picture ^^^^^.

I’ll check another when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm curious what yardage to zero to.  I've seen the posts about the POI difference between SS198 and AE 40gr.  I'll be zeroing with the SS198 and am thinking about either 25' or 50'.
View Quote
Mine was zeroed at 7 yards.

At 100-150 yards I used the first 2 shots to see where the bullets are impacting, and then adjust my aim.

I shot a beer bootle at 75 yards - aiming a foot low and to the right of the target. Blasted it on the 3rd shot off hand.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#22]
After my first range trip I must say, I can't believe how easy these things shoot.

Sucks that the "plinking ammo" is still .40/rd though.  I still can't believe this is a blowback gun, I was surprised.

Part of me wishes they built the barrel and case to hold up to 65k psi so that the 40gr bullets could move as fast or faster than the 27s.  I bet the recoil would still be a little less than 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I like them a lot, but can't make myself commit. I keep hoping someone will do a solid, scientific test with some of the newer loadings and put to rest my concerns regarding terminal performance.

I think one with a RMR on top would probably be about the perfect handgun, if I knew it was going to be equivalent to a good 9mm JHP with an available load.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure it’s not blowback, the PS90 IS a blowback and when reloading casings from each one you can tell the difference on casings fired out of the PS90 as the shoulder is blown forward more than on the FiveseveN pistol.

Also, Elite Ammunition offers loads that are HOT and only to be used in the FiveseveN pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure it’s not blowback, the PS90 IS a blowback and when reloading casings from each one you can tell the difference on casings fired out of the PS90 as the shoulder is blown forward more than on the FiveseveN pistol.

Also, Elite Ammunition offers loads that are HOT and only to be used in the FiveseveN pistol.
Every source I've found describes the action as "delayed blowback".

Quoted:
I like them a lot, but can't make myself commit. I keep hoping someone will do a solid, scientific test with some of the newer loadings and put to rest my concerns regarding terminal performance.

I think one with a RMR on top would probably be about the perfect handgun, if I knew it was going to be equivalent to a good 9mm JHP with an available load.
I'm with you there.  It seems to me that it is pretty much guaranteed that SS198 will yaw a good deal though from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#27]
There's a lengthy PDF that an agency put together testing 5.7 rounds that they were asked to include in a handgun ballistic test. They seemed to like it, but the general consensus of many hives on the interwebz, is that they seem to equate the 5.7 with being non lethal...
The same group of people dismissed the above mentioned PDF because they had never heard of the training facility that helped perform the tests...

If you want any 5.7 Gel tests, besides the factory stuff, I'm about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Lenqz to PDF?  FYI, Josh Aston is trying to get a metal mag to feed .22 TCM in a Glock, so he can get the longer OAL of the original .22 TCM.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#29]
FN seems to sell a good deal of these every year.  I wonder why there aren't more easily available things like adjustable night sights (offered by FN even) or some new ammo from FN.

There isn't even really that much info out there on them.

I also can't say that I'm very happy with FN's "no 50rd P90 mags for civilians" or SS198LF stance either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There has been SPECULATION that FN deliberately watered down the ballistics of the 5.7x28 because they were concerned that it would be banned in the U.S.

Point in fact, EVERY YEAR Eliot Engel (D, NY) introduces a bill to outlaw 5.7x28 Ammunition and the FiveseveN pistol. Here is the most recent copy I could locate LINK
View Quote
What a prick, the precedence a bill like this would set would be catastrophic. Thanks for the post never had heard of that before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#32]
The FSN is a great handgun. Not small, and has its quirks, but a great shooter and light. Love mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I went a little bit crazy bidding on all of these deals on GB right now after I saw one go for 865.  Never got one that cheap sadly but did end up winning a total of three (OOPS).

I'm definitely going to work one into the carry location.  I already wore the one I took to the range on my surefire masterfire holster with an XH30 attaching it.  It almost didn't feel like I was wearing a gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's a lengthy PDF that an agency put together testing 5.7 rounds that they were asked to include in a handgun ballistic test. They seemed to like it,
View Quote
Do you happen to have a length to that PDF?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to see it too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought mine for 700 when they first came out.

I may have shot a mag through it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for posting that.  Josh Aston is experimenting w/ a Witness mag in a Polymer 80 frame, to see if he can get .22 TCM, rather than the 9R, to feed in a standard Glock frame.  This may give us a more handloading friendly round in the same class.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow impressive 5.7 wins
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/fn57-723789.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Man that looks weird.

Loving this.  It has confirmed many of the things I've argued for years:

.357 SIG and 10mm offer pretty much nothing over 9mm or .40
Always use the heaviest bullets available in a given caliber, i.e. 147 in 9mm and 230 in .45

Too bad it could have been made by anybody though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just read somewhere (5.7 forums) that these older models can go for some pretty good cash over 2k!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just read somewhere (5.7 forums) that these older models can go for some pretty good cash over 2k!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collectible item or they have something the newer ones don't?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Collectible item or they have something the newer ones don't?
View Quote
Collectible production was limited in a few of the beginning models from what I understand also some of the very early models supposedly do not have the magazine disconnect. But I’m no expert just what I read on 5.7 forums a few days ago...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Fascinating results:

"The Phase 4/5 results were extremely surprising
and much extra testing was done as many agencies wanted to be present for
comparisons to more traditional rounds. Measurements taken on over 100 shots
verified that [5.7]wound channels through tissue with or without barriers equaled or
exceeded that of hollow points in all calibers!
There was a solid copper round
that produced larger average wound dimensions." PG 42

Even more interesting, the tests with gel and real meat showed great performance with the Lehigh XD solid copper 'screwdriver' projectile:

"The data sheet shows results from Phase 2/3 with enormous wound diameters.
The radial flutes work perfectly in fluid/gel. Calculated PWCs are the largest
ever recorded in all calibers!
Many of our testers wondered if vectoring real compressed tissue sideways into
tissue would actually destroy that adjacent tissue that is not directly in the path
of the projectile. For those who think this will only work in a non-compressible
fluid like gel as we initially did, we can confirm that this technology works
extremely well in actual animal tissue with or without barriers.
Remember that
hollow points expand because tissue which fills the hole in the hollow point is
compressed to such a point that the outward pressure inside the bullet pushes and
tears the metal and forces it outward where friction then takes over to complete
the expansion. If tissue can be compressed to the point of tearing metal (hollow
point) then tissue can certainly be compressed to the point of tearing tissue. The
Phase 4/5 tissue tests confirmed that in over 100 shots the measured wound
channel was not only larger than that of an FMJ but in most cases was the largest
wound channel produced in that caliber compared to all other rounds to include
fully functioning hollow points
." PG3 2
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fascinating results:

"The Phase 4/5 results were extremely surprising
and much extra testing was done as many agencies wanted to be present for
comparisons to more traditional rounds. Measurements taken on over 100 shots
verified that [5.7]wound channels through tissue with or without barriers equaled or
exceeded that of hollow points in all calibers!
There was a solid copper round
that produced larger average wound dimensions." PG 42

Even more interesting, the tests with gel and real meat showed great performance with the Lehigh XD solid copper 'screwdriver' projectile:

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Ammo2.jpg

"The data sheet shows results from Phase 2/3 with enormous wound diameters.
The radial flutes work perfectly in fluid/gel. Calculated PWCs are the largest
ever recorded in all calibers!
Many of our testers wondered if vectoring real compressed tissue sideways into
tissue would actually destroy that adjacent tissue that is not directly in the path
of the projectile. For those who think this will only work in a non-compressible
fluid like gel as we initially did, we can confirm that this technology works
extremely well in actual animal tissue with or without barriers.
Remember that
hollow points expand because tissue which fills the hole in the hollow point is
compressed to such a point that the outward pressure inside the bullet pushes and
tears the metal and forces it outward where friction then takes over to complete
the expansion. If tissue can be compressed to the point of tearing metal (hollow
point) then tissue can certainly be compressed to the point of tearing tissue. The
Phase 4/5 tissue tests confirmed that in over 100 shots the measured wound
channel was not only larger than that of an FMJ but in most cases was the largest
wound channel produced in that caliber compared to all other rounds to include
fully functioning hollow points
." PG3 2
View Quote
I believe the reference of the Lehigh XD is probably about a 9mm round since that round is not available in 5.7
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I believe the reference of the Lehigh XD is probably about a 9mm round since that round is not available in 5.7
View Quote
There is a solid copper round in 5.7. Some are pre fragmented, where as one DevastaTOR 2.0 is solid with no cuts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm trying to talk myself into one as well..............locally they are 1200 bucks
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone looking for one Kentucky Gun Co has them in Black and FDE.  Email quoted prices were $1187.99 FDE and $1058.33 Black. (I believe both prices are just lower than the FN MIL/LEO pricing I saw).

I snagged a FDE one and FN extended the Free 3 Mags deal until the end of April.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone looking for one Kentucky Gun Co has them in Black and FDE.  Email quoted prices were $1187.99 FDE and $1058.33 Black. (I believe both prices are just lower than the FN MIL/LEO pricing I saw).

I snagged a FDE one and FN extended the Free 3 Mags deal until the end of April.
View Quote
I bought a black one from kgc also end of March, wasn’t aware of the 3 free mags thanks for the heads up! Just submitted the electronic rebate form on the FN promotions website.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top