Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2021 11:06:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Great stuff that takes me back.

Kokalis passing around that inaccurate "It's a Glock 17 becuz it holds 17 bullets!" jive. Though he had an absolutely amazing collection of firearms, particularly machineguns. Wonder what happened to them all when he passed away a couple years ago.

Love them or hate them, Glocks and all the polymer guns that came afterward put a quality handgun within reach of everyone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome post, takes me back to my middle teen years (and before) when I was reading gun magazines and dreaming of the guns I would someday be able to own when I was an adult and moved out of my parents house (they were not exactly anti-gun but were also not gun owners).

He was certainly not wrong about the impact Glock had on the US market and the world handgun market in general.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for post. I'm gonna read it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So that article was written in 1984, almost 40 years ago, and STILL no one has unseated GLOCK as the gold standard of police/combat guns, not to mention carry guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
At the time I read the articles there was a gunshop in London, advertising the new amazing Glock 9mm pistol.
It came with 2 magazines, a plastic holster and IIRC a take-down tool or some other gizmo./
Asking price was £217

The number of times I saw the ad., but never bought one as nobody else I knew had even seen one let alone tried/fired one.
Ended up with a post-war P38 from my mate Fred's widow after he died, shortly after...he was a character. Served in the Durham Light Infantry as an officer in WW2, then spent time in the Army Commando's later in the war - inc. Monte Cassino.
Was just settling into post-war civilian life before he was dragged back to do some more time in khaki for the Korean War.
I'd still have the pistol if they'd not been banned here - as when I was in the gun trade I had the last all steel P38 frame at the importers put on the gun, plus the sights changed to older WW2 style ones.

It would still have been interesting to own one of the first Glocks in the UK though....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many have tried to dethrone the Combat Tupperware but all have failed. The only thing that has happened is the Plastic Fantastic set the standard for what a modern pistol should be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So that article was written in 1984, almost 40 years ago, and STILL no one has unseated GLOCK as the gold standard of police/combat guns, not to mention carry guns.
Many have tried to dethrone the Combat Tupperware but all have failed. The only thing that has happened is the Plastic Fantastic set the standard for what a modern pistol should be.
The market is much more diverse, for sure, but there's GLOCK, and then there's everything else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#8]
LOVE the history lessons, Miami! Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOVE the history lessons, Miami! Keep 'em coming.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome post ??
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Miami. It reminded me what I already knew, and what I forgot.

I was first introduced to Glock mid 80's at a NATO training range.
My unit still fielded Browning .45 acp, a few in different flavors.

Our first Sargent asked us if we wanted to shoot a plastic gun.
We thought he was BS'ing us.

Glock was in my head afterward. I returned from Asia to US some years later
and found Glock in Rod n Gun club on the base. Been buying G19's
ever since (except past few years-AR's have been my disease lately).

But, I did manage to collect a very wide variety of G19's. Early production to 2016.
I think the very early G17 and G19 bting biggest buck. Especially what I paid
many years ago when 9mm was NOT in vogue.

i could cash in if I wanted.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember, I transfered from our off-shore division to our refining division March of 1989 and one of the machinery techs there told me about a new pistol, polymer pistol, that he just got.  I laughed at him and said it would never make it, as I was a die hard 1911 and Ruger fan at that time.

Little did I know....still the king of combat handguns 40 years later.  I dont think anyone will make a better pistol in my lifetime

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I drove about 20 miles to a Friend’s house to shoot a very early Glock 17.   The pistol belonged to my Friend’s uncle who was a military and gun collector.  I shot the Glock 17 next to my Browning Hi Power with small sights and thumb safety.   I was very impressed with the Glock 17 and thought it would be a better service pistol compared to the P-35 Hi Power.   A couple weeks later a FFL friend went to a gun show in Louisville Ky and came home with a new Glock 17.   My Friend hated sub calibers and second guessed his purchase of the Glock 17 for months.   He is probably one of biggest Glockaholics I know.   His original 17 had a very low serial number AD*** or something similar.   We figure that 17 has digested 50,000 9 mm’s at a minimum.  We always shot reloads and cast a lot of our own bullets.   Most of the ammo shot in his 17 was hard cast reloads.

I remember one day we were shooting at 100 yards and I was shooting at a bowling pin with my Mini 14 and couldn’t hit it.  My Friend hit the bowling pin on his first or second shot with his Glock 17.   He still has his original Glock 17 but I traded my Mimi 14 a short time later.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome thread!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm almost old enough to remember that
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I love old gun magazine articles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks OP, cool articles.  Takes me back to when I was 17.  Good times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top