Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2020 7:32:13 PM EDT
Not much to this post other than this is my first full size 9.  Been a 1911 fan boy at the range and carry a SW Shield 9, but figured this was a necessity with the current state of things.  Looking forward to more competitive shooting with it as well if ammo or primers start getting back in stock.

Anyway, managed to get a FDE somehow in spite of them being discontinued.  LGS's distributor had one pop up for some reason and I told them to snag it for me.  Also got 400 rds of 9mm coming in from the local Sportsman's Warehouse soon too.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch how fast they multiply. Nice gun!  Mine is a laser
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The P-09 is something.

Crappy, gritty, heavy DA. Lots of creep and not much wall for the SA. Long return.

but yet, those damn bullets appear in smaller groups than some of my optic wearing pistols and I can happily ring steel at the 50 and 100yd berms. I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My P09 9MM is the most accurate center fire semi auto I own, or have ever fired.  Hangs right there with my S&W 586.

Mine really like 115 grain bullets.  Haven't found any 147's that shoot like the light bullets.  Oh, the cheap Federal 115 grain brass cased FMJ ammo does really well.  

Check out Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom if you decide you need to upgrade parts.  I just put a CZ Custom hammer in my P07 yesterday and the result is a sweet 3.5 lb. very crisp SA trigger pull.  I carry cocked and locked with everything so I don't really pay attention to the DA trigger pull.

If you want more than 19 rounds in the mags. you can get a little +2 base from CZ USA or Greg Cote, LLC.  The suppressor ready P07 and P09 pistols came with those on the magazines.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My P09 9MM is the most accurate center fire semi auto I own, or have ever fired.  Hangs right there with my S&W 586.

Mine really like 115 grain bullets.  Haven't found any 147's that shoot like the light bullets.  Oh, the cheap Federal 115 grain brass cased FMJ ammo does really well.  

Check out Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom if you decide you need to upgrade parts.  I just put a CZ Custom hammer in my P07 yesterday and the result is a sweet 3.5 lb. very crisp SA trigger pull.  I carry cocked and locked with everything so I don't really pay attention to the DA trigger pull.

If you want more than 19 rounds in the mags. you can get a little +2 base from CZ USA or Greg Cote, LLC.  The suppressor ready P07 and P09 pistols came with those on the magazines.
View Quote

I'm assuming the same springs will work?  Would like to get two spare magazines as well, but that's dependent on if my LGS can find them since I'm in CO and can't order anything online.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Good choice!

I agreed with the other my P09 is extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Mine is a 40 that I got on sale for about $350

I added a .100" Dawson fiber front sight, and CAJUN trigger / hammer kit.

It's wonderful. I run it cocked & Locked like a 1911/2011, points just like one.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have an 09, but I have an 07, and I would definitely drop a Cajun kit in it.

Especially to whoever above has complaints about the trigger... Mine was pretty ok out of the box; but I knew it could be better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The P-09 is something.

Crappy, gritty, heavy DA. Lots of creep and not much wall for the SA. Long return.

but yet, those damn bullets appear in smaller groups than some of my optic wearing pistols and I can happily ring steel at the 50 and 100yd berms. I love mine.
View Quote

Man that's so true about the trigger lol. It's not the worst trigger I've owned but it's not great either. The thing shoots very accurately. If the DA was just smooth and consistent all the way through it would be totally fine as-is. Can't bring myself to spend the money on a full CGW kit as I know it still won't measure up to my Shadows. I'll probably just grab the spring and short reset kits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I too have a .40 P09.  Big sucker.  Not quite as accurate as my P09 9MM or the P07 .40.

But accurate enough that my wife tried to "appropriate" the first time she shot it.  Picked it up, put a hot 135 grain hollow point right through the X on the first shot at 12 yds. and then ate up the X and 10 ring.  I managed to keep it by reasoning with here that it was too big for her to carry concealed and then I bought her a CZ75 Compact for her to carry.  She's not very big, but she sure was having fun shooting that big old P09.

There's some video's out there (check out you tube) on disassembling/polishing/smoothing up the action on the P07/P09 pistols.  I never really did it to mine.  My P07 .40 came out of the box with a 3.5 lb. SA trigger pull and DA around 8.5 lbs.

They are variable though, as are people's expectations of trigger pull/feel.  Fine for me may not be fine for someone else.

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Got mine out to the range for three quick mags through and no issues!  But yeah, that trigger needs some work.  Probably doesn't help that I'm accustomed to shooting a Wilson 1911, but the reset is pretty atrocious.  Think I'll polish things up today and I went ahead and ordered a CGW Reset Kit, Self Defense Spring Kit, and their trigger return spring.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine and also used it for competition. I was running it with a decocker but missed too many first shots. I now run it cocked and locked and don't miss those first shots anymore.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love mine and also used it for competition. I was running it with a decocker but missed too many first shots. I now run it cocked and locked and don't miss those first shots anymore.
View Quote

Do you run the thumb safety then?  I might do that today too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Got most of the internals polished up and switched over to the safety instead of the de-cocker.  Didn't really do a before and after or anything, but single stage averages right at 4lbs and everything just feels really smooth.  Could be my imagination, but the reset doesn't feel as bad as well.  I did hit a little bump in switching over to the safety though - a little stamped metal tab fell out while I was installing it.  Turns out it was part of the safety that is held in by the spring in the main safety lever and is what makes it "click" in place.  Fortunately, MrGunsnGear has a good video for switching out the decocker and he showed a clear video of how that part is supposed to look like when installed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely one of my favorite CZ’s to shoot.  It’s almost as accurate as my TSO equipped with a red dot and it recoils noticeably smoother.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I put in a Cajun short reset kit and MCarbo springs in mine. Polished the internals as well. Made a huge difference. Shoots smoothly and like a champ. OP has made a great acquisition.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry OP, missed the question about mag. springs.  Yeah, same springs used with the +2 base.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like my P-09 and found a good deal on a P-07.  Eventually it will be my carry pistol to replace my Glock 19.  Have a lot of work I want to do to it first though.  Cajun trigger job, Dawson sights, red dot cut/Holosun 507/407 and finding the holster I want.

The cool thing about the P-09 with the extendo clipazines is they seem like they are bottomless almost infinite ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Excellent choice.  I have the P-09 FDE suppressor ready version.  It is a great pistol.  www.gregcotellc.com usually has the best deals on mags for those.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Got the CGW short reset kit installed as well as the CGW trigger spring and 15lb hammer reset spring.  Reset was a little fucky at first, but then I realized I had just bent the trigger bar spring down a little too far which gave me inconsistent resets.  I bent it about halfway back to its stock position and now everything feels great!  Also, when I pulled off the safety, the little spring loaded tab that is in it just shot off and I thought it was gone forever.  I took a look under my table and found it almost immediately just sitting on top of an ammo can.  Got lucky with that one.  I'm much more careful when removing the safety now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top