Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2022 4:55:27 PM EDT

I chronied some of this ammo (125 grain jhp .357 Magnum) out of a 4" barrrel S&W 686+.  Average velocity was 1,230 fps which is super slow out of a 4" barrel!  As you can see, the box advertizes this load at 1,450 fps, which is more than missleading.  You couldn't even get that from a 6" barrel as you usually gain ~ 50 fps per inch.

For contrast, I fired some new production classic Remington .357 magnum 125gr sjhp from the same gun (the classic street stopper).  Average velocity for that was 1,496 fps.

Over 250 fps difference!

I'm sick of paying the same top dollar price for downloaded rounds!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean, did you even think that there would be any other response:

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://fiocchiusa.com/assets/centerfire%20pistol/Defense%20Dynamics/357D-Left.jpg

I chronied some of this ammo (125 grain jhp .357 Magnum) out of a 4" barrrel S&W 686+.  Average velocity was 1,230 fps which is super slow out of a 4" barrel!  As you can see, the box advertizes this load at 1,450 fps, which is more than missleading.  You couldn't even get that from a 6" barrel as you usually gain ~ 50 fps per inch.
I'm sick of paying the same top dollar price for downloaded rounds!
View Quote

Been saying just that for years about 10mm folks paying good money for watered-down/40-level  junk ammo … when they could be buying real-deal full-throttle 10mm ammo from UW, BB, or DT  -  or even better,  just reload their own.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion, Fiocchi is generally the slowest ammo around. Maybe the actual Made in Italy stuff is different, I dont know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s about the same muzzle velocity as the 125 gr. .357 Remington Golden Saber.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
About the same muzzle velocity as the Remington Golden Saber .357.  When used in a J-frame or light weight revolver, not as punishing as full power loads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Huge contrast to the PPU that I bought during the scamdemic. That stuff was soooo hot! i was shooting it out of my 6" 686-no dash and the primers were flat as all get out! The recoils was stout, that's what made me check out the brass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huge contrast to the PPU that I bought during the scamdemic. That stuff was soooo hot! i was shooting it out of my 6" 686-no dash and the primers were flat as all get out! The recoils was stout, that's what made me check out the brass.
View Quote

Oh yeah?  I need to find me some of that stuff!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flat primers = high pressure = danger - definitely not something you should seek out.

Most all ammo rarely achieves advertised velocity in actual guns vs test barrels this is nothing new
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Being 250 FPS off from the advertised velocity IS something new, esp considering that .357 magnum has no problem exceeding those velocities with 125 grain loads.

Enjoy your over priced watered down ammo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top