User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 9:06:46 AM EDT

Test Gun: FN Baby Browning
Barrel length: 2.11 inches.
Ammunition: Fiocchi .25 ACP 50gr FMJ.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 654fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

This will more than likely be the last .25 test I will do. Unless I see something in the future to change my mind, I just don’t see the point.

I got a five-shot average velocity of 654fps with a high of 687fps and a low of 624fps.

Five shots at five yards offhand.

The two round’s in the bare gel had a velocity of 693fps and 642fps. Penetration was 12.25 and 11.5 inches. 50 and 49.9 grains were the recovered weight and just in case you were wondering there was no expansion. The first round showed sign of tumbling about midway through and stopped base first. The second round did not show and signs of tumbling and was recovered nose forward.

In the heavy clothing gel, the first round’s velocity was 671fps and it penetrated to 9.25 inches. The second round hit the block at 674fps and penetrated to 9.5 inches. Neither bullet expanded and the recovered weight was 49.6 and 49.3 grains. Both bullets showed signs of tumbling at the mid point and were recovered base forward.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
These results in gel are pretty low even for a pocket pistol compared to 32 ACP or 380 ACP.   The 25 ACP is definitely lethal as indicated by a homicide in my area.  A victim was standing behind his storm door when shot by a perp with a 25 ACP.   The bullet passed through the the door and struck the victim in the chest.   The victim succumbed to one 25 ACP bullet from a short barreled semi auto.  News accounts didn’t indicate what type of projectile but knowing the situation I’d bet money it was a FMJ.

Any firearm can be lethal in many situations but with smaller less powerful cartridges the bullet must strike the most vulnerable areas.   Unfortunately just because a cartridge might be lethal it may not stop an assailant for a significant period of time.   In the homicide in my area it was reported the victim collapsed after being shot and had deceased by the time LE and EMS arrived.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks OP as always.
I wonder if there would be a little more velocity from another brand. Fiocchi always seems the weakest in other calibers but who knows. Just curious...
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Thanks OP as always.
I wonder if there would be a little more velocity from another brand. Fiocchi always seems the weakest in other calibers but who knows. Just curious...
View Quote
There should be.

.25 is a 25kpsi cartridge (.22lr is 24k max.)

So there's no reason we should be seeing .25 with less energy / velocity then .22lr, unless Fiocchi loading well bellow SAAMI.

It would be a good option for +P loads by Underwood; even my friends +P+ .25 loads (50gr @ 1000fps) were like 2gr of powder, with no damage done to his jetfire firing 3000 or so of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

There should be.

.25 is a 25kpsi cartridge (.22lr is 24k max.)

So there's no reason we should be seeing .25 with less energy / velocity then .22lr, unless Fiocchi loading well bellow SAAMI.

It would be a good option for +P loads by Underwood; even my friends +P+ .25 loads (50gr @ 1000fps) were like 2gr of powder, with no damage done to his jetfire firing 3000 or so of them.
View Quote
I think it's a combination of lack of interest in such small cartridges, and manufacturers playing it super-safe in light of the shitty Raven/Jennings/etc pistols that might just grenade if fed stout ammo. I'd like to pick up a .25 pistol and a set of dies and play around with it a bit, if I can find the molds or a decent source of bullets for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top