Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2021 6:39:25 PM EDT
Well, after Fedex had trouble getting my PDP out of Texas (a week on 2 day Air), I got to pick up my PDP 4" today. Got to say it's everything it was claimed to be. The trigger is fantastic and the grip is awesome. I've had several P99 QA's, a P99AS, and a few PPQ's (M1's and an M2). The PDP is truly an upgrade on an already great gun. It doesn't fix anything "broken" in past models, but rather improves and accentuates all the positives of the Walther line. Can't wait to get to the range tomorrow and put some rounds down range.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  I pick mine up from my LGS tomorrow.  Have extra mags inbound as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm wanting one because I love my PPQ. Good job, OP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. I know there’s only so many three letter but when I hear PDP this is the first thing that comes to mind.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. I know there’s only so many three letter but when I hear PDP this is the first thing that comes to mind.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Pdp-11-40.jpg/450px-Pdp-11-40.jpg
View Quote

LOL - I'm pretty sure I learned to code Pascal on a terminal attached to one of those in, oh, 1988 or therabouts.

Anyway, the PDP is pretty awesome. I just got the RMR plate in for mine and am waiting for a set of Glock suppressor height sights -- the stock irons don't cowitness with my optic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice. I know there's only so many three letter but when I hear PDP this is the first thing that comes to mind.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Pdp-11-40.jpg/450px-Pdp-11-40.jpg
View Quote
Oh God what did you just do. You brought me back in a flash; I had completely forgotten about this one. And yet, it was in my father's office and I badly wanted to use it for so long

Flashbacks, they're a thing

(PS loving my Walther PDP, too!)
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Love my compact so much I just bought the 4.5" full size to go with it.
View Quote
I'm waiting on and for a subcompact instead, 'should they decide to do it'
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here - waiting on the subcompact.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine at Fleet Farm.    Waiting on RMR plate
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve found the compact locally and almost bought it, but am holding out for the full size. I don’t need another compact.

Wow. I don’t understand why anyone would buy a different striker fired gun at this point and I’ve had time on most of em. Great optic system, great grip, best striker fired trigger, aftermarket support present already. It’s wild.

As soon as I find a full size it’s mine
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trying to find 18 round PDP mags in stock with no joy.
View Quote

Canik 18 rounders and the 20 round which are 18s with +2 extension are literally identical to the Walther mags other than the plastic floor plate is a little different and says canik but they still work great, they’re both made by Mecgar. The 18s are also only $29.99.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve found the compact locally and almost bought it, but am holding out for the full size. I don’t need another compact.

Wow. I don’t understand why anyone would buy a different striker fired gun at this point and I’ve had time on most of em. Great optic system, great grip, best striker fired trigger, aftermarket support present already. It’s wild.

As soon as I find a full size it’s mine
View Quote

You said you've had time on most striker fired guns. How do you like the PDP over the VP-9?  I've only been able to hold the VP-9 and thought it was extremely comfortable. I'm on the fence right now between the PDP and the VP-9.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Are the sights plastic or metal?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the sights plastic or metal?
View Quote

Factory sights are plastic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I skipped the PPQ because I love my P99 AS so much and I couldn't see any improvement in the PPQ over it. I am not skipping the PDP compact thought. This is an incredible pistol and I can't wait to own one
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
1 - What's the trigger takeup like? People always wanted to rave about the PPQ trigger but I find them unshootable due to the excessive amount of takeup. My PPQ trigger has more travel distance than a USP in double action.

2 - Have they made any changes to the recoil spring or other action that changes the recoil dynamics? My PPQ is easily the "flippiest" 9mm pistol I've ever shot. Huge muzzle rise and it doesn't like to come back to the same POA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone did mention, above, about the VP9; the first thing I had thought about the PDP is that it was at least similar.

It is. I love VP9s. They indeed are similar and yet still feel different. PDP is a great handgun

Walthers and HK by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Someone did mention, above, about the VP9; the first thing I had thought about the PDP is that it was at least similar.

It is. I love VP9s. They indeed are similar and yet still feel different. PDP is a great handgun

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51039699173_e27b129c80_h.jpgWalthers and HK by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Having both of them is there one you prefer over the other? If so why, if you don’t mind me asking?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Having both of them is there one you prefer over the other? If so why, if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote
I couldn't be objective enough - I haven't shot the PDP yet and I have shot my VP9 AND VP9SK (which I carry).
I had to have the PDP; Walther collector and all.

PDP probably superior; I can feel it by the trigger - though VP9's trigger is awesome (for me).
I mean we're talking about two top of the line, striker fired, German handguns - contemporary.

For non-custom-modded guns, they're probably top of the line.

I'd hate to steer you wrong with some subjective opinion; I had to have both!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I couldn't be objective enough - I haven't shot the PDP yet and I have shot my VP9 AND VP9SK (which I carry).
I had to have the PDP; Walther collector and all.

PDP probably superior; I can feel it by the trigger - though VP9's trigger is awesome (for me).
I mean we're talking about two top of the line, striker fired, German handguns - contemporary.

For non-custom-modded guns, they're probably top of the line.

I'd hate to steer you wrong with some subjective opinion; I had to have both!
View Quote

I definitely want to get both guns it’s just trying to decide which one first.  I’m thinking of the 4.5 PDP for carry with a Holosun 508t.

Appreciate the honest answer. Let us know how you like the PDP after you’ve shot it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

@AR15JoeL

Is that a PPQ threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

@AR15JoeL

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@AR15JoeL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@AR15JoeL

Yes     It works on PPQ and PDP 4”
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I ended up finding a 4” full-size and am really impressed it with it. I can honestly say my only gripe is that i cannot get a third mag for it yet to use it for work. Once I’m able to get that magazine I’ll be swapping out my Holosun and using my PDP for work. Huge improvement over my G19
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Really been liking my PDP. A lot of the other striker 9s have quirks compared to the Glock and fall short on quite a few things in comparison, however the new Walther is the first poly striker in my mind that if one was starting out all over and magazine redundancies and etc. were not an issue, does close to everything the Glock does, plus more, better.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still looking for a compact PDP, seems like a unicorn.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Really been liking my PDP. A lot of the other striker 9s have quirks compared to the Glock and fall short on quite a few things in comparison, however the new Walther is the first poly striker in my mind that if one was starting out all over and magazine redundancies and etc. were not an issue, does close to everything the Glock does, plus more, better.

https://i.postimg.cc/QC4RLzLx/Full-Size-Render.jpg
View Quote
hot
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm still looking for a compact PDP, seems like a unicorn.
View Quote

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse in your AO, I just got mine from their website for $650 and they sent it to my store.

This gun is AMAZING. The only trigger I've squeezed on its level is a Geissele SSA-E. I'd put it's comfort and ergonomics right on par if not superior to a P30. Damn I love this gun. I feel bad for my P99, I love it but it's been outclassed in every way
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@AR15JoeL

I am not a huge Walther expert so i don't know, but does the PPQ threaded barrel that you used on the PDP have the stepped chamber like what comes on the PDP's stock barrel?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I got one about 6 weeks ago.  I thought it was an upgrade in many ways from the PPQ which has been my favorite for years.  

The one exception was the trigger.  I’m not sure why walther chose to take a step back but it was very disappointing.  There is a definite range of squishiness between take up and firing that was non existent in the PPQ.  

I was about to order a VP9 when I bought the PDP on impulse.  I followed up with the VP9 and realize it is a better fit for me.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got one about 6 weeks ago.  I thought it was an upgrade in many ways from the PPQ which has been my favorite for years.  

The one exception was the trigger.  I’m not sure why walther chose to take a step back but it was very disappointing.  There is a definite range of squishiness between take up and firing that was non existent in the PPQ.  

I was about to order a VP9 when I bought the PDP on impulse.  I followed up with the VP9 and realize it is a better fit for me.  

View Quote

The PDP/PPQ triggers can very in my experience like Glocks, the VP9's I've had were all pretty consistent. They do break in though. Overall trigger dynamics, I'd say it's a wash, I probably prefer the VP9 trigger stock for stock.

However Walther's Performance Dynamic trigger is legit and the real deal. It is vastly better than any other striker fired trigger I've fired (haven't fired an Alien though) and it is OEM factory. Put that in the PDP and you have something you can't get in any other platform. 0 over travel, 90 degree crisp break, forceful and audible short reset.

I didn't care for how much more complicated and fragile the VP9's are compared to other designs with their parts, the rear sight dovetail, etc, or how it won't mount a standard X300 without removal of the back spacer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The PDP/PPQ triggers can very in my experience like Glocks, the VP9's I've had were all pretty consistent. They do break in though. Overall trigger dynamics, I'd say it's a wash, I probably prefer the VP9 trigger stock for stock.

However Walther's Performance Dynamic trigger is legit and the real deal. It is vastly better than any other striker fired trigger I've fired (haven't fired an Alien though) and it is OEM factory. Put that in the PDP and you have something you can't get in any other platform. 0 over travel, 90 degree crisp break, forceful and audible short reset.

I didn't care for how much more complicated and fragile the VP9's are compared to other designs with their parts, the rear sight dovetail, etc, or how it won't mount a standard X300 without removal of the back spacer.
View Quote

Thanks for mentioning the Performance Dynamic trigger.  I will look into it for the PDP.  My PPQs are all M1s and were not exactly the same but pretty close to the same out of the box.  I really went to the PDP to transition to an optic.  

It looks like the Walther site is sold out of the trigger at the moment but I will keep and eye out for it.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#36]
A lot of similarities as far as looks from the Ruger All American and Beretta APX models. Still on the fence on this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked my Compact up last week and ran a few mags through it over the weekend.  I really like it so far. Trigger is perfect and it shoots really smooth. I don't find it the least bit snappy, much less than my G19. I'd probably put it on the same level as my SA 4" EMP 1911.  We'll see if I still feel the same after a few hundred more rounds, but I'm loving it so far. Ordered a couple comp-tac IWB holsters and a RMR type 2 for it as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Really good looking pistol.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Aaron Cowan approves...

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Per Walther forum questions, yes it has the stepped chamber. I just ordered a compact, holosun 508T, spare mags, holster and threaded 4.6 in barrel.
Waiting for all this sucks

Quoted:

I am not a huge Walther expert so i don't know, but does the PPQ threaded barrel that you used on the PDP have the stepped chamber like what comes on the PDP's stock barrel?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You said you've had time on most striker fired guns. How do you like the PDP over the VP-9?  I've only been able to hold the VP-9 and thought it was extremely comfortable. I'm on the fence right now between the PDP and the VP-9.
View Quote

So I actually own the PDP full size these days. Found one locally and had to snag it up. For my size hands (xxl), I think the PDP is the best fitting striker gun out of the box.

It has been a while since I shot the VP9, however, I compared it back to back to a PPQ m1. At the time, I thought the PPQ was a better gun. I preferred the trigger, the recoil impulse and the aftermarket support for the PDP to the vp9. The vp9 isn’t a bad gun at all, it’s fairly nice but I think the walther is the better option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top