Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2020 11:46:28 PM EDT
Federal is releasing a new budget hp line. I wonder how they will preform in testing.

"Protection now delivers a knockout blow. New Punch™ draws from our decades of experience designing the world’s finest defensive handgun loads. The bullet’s skived jacket and soft lead core produce the best expansion and penetration for the price, while its nickel-plated brass and sealed primer deliver the reliable feeding and ignition you need to protect yourself."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/01/new-federal-premium-punch-defensive-handgun-ammunition-line/

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, they lost me with the "knockout blow". Interesting to see if they can make a .380 expand AND penetrate to 12".
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It "looks" like HST. Maybe it is HST (minus) a step or two in the manufacturing process.

I have no idea what the point is. I can see trying to improve a product but trying to make it less better
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It "looks" like HST. Maybe it is HST (minus) a step or two in the manufacturing process.

I have no idea what the point is. I can see trying to improve a product but trying to make it less better
View Quote
Might be they're just trying to capture a different segment of the market.  There is always those guys that believe that the premium price for the HST line isn't worth it and stick to using older generation hollowpoints like the Federal Hi-Shoks, Hydra-shoks or the WWB JHPs.  Federal gets to split the difference with them as well as shitcan a product line that probably doesn't sell very much anymore.

ETA:  It looks like it's not designed to pass all the FBI protocols involving barriers like auto glass, sheet metal and wallboard.  Just bare gel and heavy clothing.

Per their press release: https://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/18/federals-new-punch-personal-defense-ammo-delivers-a-knockout/
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Needs moar .357SIG.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I agree the jacket looks very similar to the hst. They probably cut a few steps in manufacturing, to save costs and get it in a lower price point.
They are trying to move into the sales segment of people buying the critical defense, v-crown, xtp, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Federal is also releasing Hydra Shok Deep in .380, which reportedly attains 13-14 inches of penetration. Whether it expands to any significant extent remains to be seen.

At least from the promo photos I'm seeing the Punch doesn't expand nearly as large as HST, accordingly I wouldn't personally favor it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
When my life and my family lives are on the line , saving pennies per round on "budget" ammo is important. No thanks, I'll stick with HST
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When my life and my family lives are on the line , saving pennies per round on "budget" ammo is important. No thanks, I'll stick with HST
View Quote
Agreed. I use HST across all calibers, 9, .40, 357SIG and .45. I don’t do my own gel tests but have watched or studied just about every test published online. HST consistently delivers in every category. It expands perfectly, penetrates to ideal depths and is consistent. Other “premium” brands such as Gold Dot or RangerT have issues regularly, especially in certain calibers, that I don’t see in HSTs.

HST is expensive though. While I have zero issues affording enough to keep a decent stock on hand and my carry pistols supplied and occasionally practiced with, stacking it as deep as I’d like to can be damn expensive. In addition, if you own a PCC or something similar, keeping a half dozen 30 rounders full adds up $$ wise.

I am looking forward to seeing the testing results from this new HP line. If they’re good, it may be a good option to buy cheap(er) so you can stack it deep(er). .
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes sweetie, because this budget ammo was aimed at premium buyers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes sweetie, because this budget ammo was aimed at premium buyers.
View Quote
I guess it's aimed at the folks who buy one box of ammo retail per year at the local gun store and get the cheapest JHP. It may end up being a very good performer. maybe 90% of the HST performance. And if it's at $15 per 50 like some older Fed loads (9BPLE, Hi-Shok etc) it may be perfect to stockpile.

From the pictures, it looks like an HST jacket filled with regular lead rather than the pre-formed, engineered core of the HST that expands so perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
They added it to their website. Looks like the msrp for 9mm is 15.99 for a box of 20.

https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-personal-defense/personal-defense-punch/
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess it's aimed at the folks who buy one box of ammo retail per year at the local gun store and get the cheapest JHP. It may end up being a very good performer. maybe 90% of the HST performance. And if it's at $15 per 50 like some older Fed loads (9BPLE, Hi-Shok etc) it may be perfect to stockpile.

From the pictures, it looks like an HST jacket filled with regular lead rather than the pre-formed, engineered core of the HST that expands so perfectly.
View Quote
I understand it’s purpose as I’ve read the articles on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They added it to their website. Looks like the msrp for 9mm is 15.99 for a box of 20.

https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-personal-defense/personal-defense-punch/
View Quote
Still doing the 20rd box bullshit , even with the budget stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll stick with 50% off HST and Gold Dot 50 round boxes at Target Sports.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Details please
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Details please
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details please
Gd thread
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Details please
View Quote
Right now its Gold Dot 50 round LE boxes.  Add to cart. Itll take half off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gd thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details please
Gd thread
Nice. I had no idea about this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right now its Gold Dot 50 round LE boxes.  Add to cart. Itll take half off.
View Quote
The gold dot sale appears to be over, I just tried it. I will wait for the hst, how often does it usually take to come back up?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Who needs HST in 9MM, Federal 9BPLE 9MM +P+ 115gr Hi Shok.  Proven street history, and it is priced attractively.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The gold dot sale appears to be over, I just tried it. I will wait for the hst, how often does it usually take to come back up?
View Quote
HST on sale now until Sat the 8th, 50% off

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

HST on sale now until Sat the 8th, 50% off

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who needs HST in 9MM, Federal 9BPLE 9MM +P+ 115gr Hi Shok.  Proven street history, and it is priced attractively.
View Quote
HST expands better and penetrates deeper in tests I've seen:
9bple
147g HST
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#24]
If it were priced only a little bit higher than cheap FMJ, then I could see the appeal as a buy-cheap-stack-deep round to fill your basement in anticipation of the zombie alien robot vampire apocalypse. Or for people who really go hard on the "train how you fight" philosophy and want to use the exact same round for both practice and carry.

Considering that HSTs really aren't *that* much more expensive than cheap stuff, I think it's a little silly to cut corners on the ammo you keep in a gun that you intend to use as a weapon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it were priced only a little bit higher than cheap FMJ, then I could see the appeal as a buy-cheap-stack-deep round to fill your basement in anticipation of the zombie alien robot vampire apocalypse. Or for people who really go hard on the "train how you fight" philosophy and want to use the exact same round for both practice and carry.

Considering that HSTs really aren't *that* much more expensive than cheap stuff, I think it's a little silly to cut corners on the ammo you keep in a gun that you intend to use as a weapon.
View Quote
I have hangups about using jhps that may not penatrate to much. Id rather use fmj than cheap unknown jhp.

Maybe more testing will show they're a really good bullet. I hope so. It would be nice to walk into any small gunshop and fine acceptable defensive ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top