Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 9:50:09 PM EDT
About a year ago I made the switch from 9mm Gold Dot 124gr to Federal HST 124 gr in my carry pistols. I have noticed that the HSTs in my carry guns are getting beat up pretty quick, as well as getting a dark patina. It's happening a lot quicker than my Gold Dots did. They are getting scratched as well as a ring around where the crimp would be, Compared to new ammo out of the box. My Gold dots would last quite a while before I felt I had to rotate them out. These start to look bad after a month or so. This is with multiple glock gen 5, 3 and 4 pistols. These same pistols didn't do this with Gold Dot. Has anyone else noticed this with HST?  It's making me consider switching back to Gold dots.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you touch them a lot?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you touch them a lot?
View Quote

Not really. I have some duplicate pistols so I don't need to unload my carry pistol very much. I will maybe unload my carry gun once a week, check the bullet for setback, then stick it in the top of the mag after clambering the next round. When it starts to look bad, I will either put it at the bottom of the mag or shoot it and replace.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't use them. Send the tarnished HST to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't use them. Send the tarnished HST to me.
View Quote

Will do. Lol. The tarnish doesn't bother me but the scatches do. There are scratches running the length of the brass case, and a deep trough near the base of the bullet, that is not present in new ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My carry mag only makes it about 6mo before I shoot, not for any issues just because I like to get some practice in with full power loads. But I NEVER unchamber my carry gun, only for range days.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No issues with the 9mm HST I've carried for years. I usually rotate it out after six months. The top round in the spare tends to tarnish a bit, obviously it is most exposed to my body and the elements.

I regularly empty my carry mags at the range and use them for that day's practice ammunition. This happens usually weekly, sometimes less often if I use range mags. Even with the extra handling, the rounds don't really get all that beat up.

During periodic cleaning, mags get emptied and cleaned, and the ammuniton wiped down and inspected. By the time I rotate the ammunition out, they aren't shiny or brand new looking and I don't expect them to be. But, I've never had to take rounds out of rotation early due to damage or corrosion.

Edited to add: my carry pieces are Glocks. No idea why OP's pistols are damaging the ammunition, but it sounds like a gun issue, not an ammunition one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
About a year ago I made the switch from 9mm Gold Dot 124gr to Federal HST 124 gr in my carry pistols. I have noticed that the HSTs in my carry guns are getting beat up pretty quick, as well as getting a dark patina. It's happening a lot quicker than my Gold Dots did. They are getting scratched as well as a ring around where the crimp would be, Compared to new ammo out of the box. My Gold dots would last quite a while before I felt I had to rotate them out. These start to look bad after a month or so. This is with multiple glock gen 5, 3 and 4 pistols. These same pistols didn't do this with Gold Dot. Has anyone else noticed this with HST?  It's making me consider switching back to Gold dots.
View Quote

I expend my carry ammo every six months. You may wish to do the same.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No issues with the 9mm HST I've carried for years. I usually rotate it out after six months. The top round in the spare tends to tarnish a bit, obviously it is most exposed to my body and the elements.

I regularly empty my carry mags at the range and use them for that day's practice ammunition. This happens usually weekly, sometimes less often if I use range mags. Even with the extra handling, the rounds don't really get all that beat up.

During periodic cleaning, mags get emptied and cleaned, and the ammuniton wiped down and inspected. By the time I rotate the ammunition out, they aren't shiny or brand new looking and I don't expect them to be. But, I've never had to take rounds out of rotation early due to damage or corrosion.

Edited to add: my carry pieces are Glocks. No idea why OP's pistols are damaging the ammunition, but it sounds like a gun issue, not an ammunition one.
View Quote

I thought it may be a gun issue too, but Gold Dot was used in these same guns and it didn't happen to the gold dots. It happens in my G26s G17s and G45. I'm wondering now if there is an issue with one of my carry mags, bit that wouldn't account for the G26. I'll swap out mags and new ammo and see if it continues.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you for a fact that the bullet in HST's will start to walk out of the case if left loaded for ohh...about 5 years or so. Your .gov contractors at work right there.

We decided to shoot it all off after I brought the issue to attention. They all still shot well. Some of the casings developed a crack at the mouth, but after they were fired.

I have pictures somewhere.

Mine will patina and lose the coppery shine after about a year or so. Still perfectly good ammo.

Just inspect the casing mouth where the bullet sits, make sure it's not deforming.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I suspect you are handling the ammo more than needed, but with military issued firearms and mags they are loaded at the start of the shift and unloaded and turned in at the end of the shift so that's a lot more handling than what you are doing.

I would not be concerned about the tarnish I have fired ammo that is very old and the majority of it was just fine.   You should figure out what is causing the scratches.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ammo will last indefinitely unless its physically damaged or submerged for an extended amount of time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#12]
when i unload my carry gun, i rotate the top round to the bottom of the mag. it’s a little extra effort, but keeps the setback at bay for a bit longer. i don’t usually go more than 6 months without shooting my currently loaded carry mag, which helps ensure i’ve got fairly fresh ammo in the gun i’m going to potentially depend my life on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#13]
So the "problem" with them is they don't look pretty to you?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So the "problem" with them is they don't look pretty to you?
View Quote

No. Like I said, the tarnish doesn't bother me. It's the deep scratches and the gouge that runs around the case near the base of the bullet.  I was wondering if this is a known thing with HSTs, because my Gold dots don't get damaged like this in the same guns.  If they get really bad, it can effect function. I don't care how they look.  The gouge happens to all the bullets in the mag too, not just the ones that get chambered.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#15]
How do you load your magazines?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do you load your magazines?
View Quote

With my thumb.  I wish I could post a picture.  The rounds are fine when I first load them. After they've been riding around in the mag for a while, they get a divot around the case just under the bullet. Like a smashed beer can. It looks like excessive crimp, but the rounds had no visible crimp out of the box. That's the most worrisome part. I'm wondering if it could eventually cause the bullet to loosten and pull.  The horizontal scratches may be from the feed lips.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Only reason to change out, is because of bullets set back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only reason to change out, is because of bullets set back.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I will maybe unload my carry gun once a week, check the bullet for setback, then stick it in the top of the mag after clambering the next round.
View Quote
But why?  Serious question, is it an OCD thing?  If no one else touches your gun and you know that its gtg, then its still gtg even if you put it in the safe for a week. Why do you unload it once a week?  That just beats up the top 2 rounds and causes eventual bullet setback.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Ammo, stored properly........lasts a VERY LONG TIME.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ammo, stored properly........lasts a VERY LONG TIME.
View Quote

Good ammo lasts a long time period.  I have old Federal Ranger, BTalon, Gold Dot and other stuff that was rotated out as duty ammo in the 90's. We got rained on a lot and it was about 90% humidity a lot of the time.  Any of our metal gear, guns, mags, ammo, flashlights had condensation on it all the time from getting in/out of car with AC running. Never had any issues with round discharging. Only rounds I ever had setback issues with were Gold Dot in .40 SW in a BHP.  Gold Dot in .45 ACP would deform badly in my Colt Officer's Model from the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not really. I have some duplicate pistols so I don't need to unload my carry pistol very much. I will maybe unload my carry gun once a week, check the bullet for setback, then stick it in the top of the mag after clambering the next round. When it starts to look bad, I will either put it at the bottom of the mag or shoot it and replace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you touch them a lot?

There is no reason to unload a carry gun. ever, unless you swap out the ammo because you want to take it to the range.

I have 4 carry guns all have their purpose. The only time I swap ammo is when I take one to the range for practice.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I am a bit confused about the cracks/divots on the cases. That would indicate movement in the magazines to me. I don’t care if mine discolor after time in my carry pistols. They will still go bang fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pics of "scratched" HSTs?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With my thumb.  I wish I could post a picture.  The rounds are fine when I first load them. After they've been riding around in the mag for a while, they get a divot around the case just under the bullet. Like a smashed beer can. It looks like excessive crimp, but the rounds had no visible crimp out of the box. That's the most worrisome part. I'm wondering if it could eventually cause the bullet to loosten and pull.  The horizontal scratches may be from the feed lips.
View Quote

We really need to see a pic to understand the damage you are talking about. There is no logical reason why high quality HST would mysteriously deform in a magazine when an equally high quality GD wouldn't. It makes no sense that any round would deform just sitting in a magazine. I've had Glock 17 mags fully loaded with HST for years that were emptied and inspected, and the rounds looked as good as the day they were made.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is no reason to unload a carry gun. ever, unless you swap out the ammo because you want to take it to the range.

I have 4 carry guns all have their purpose. The only time I swap ammo is when I take one to the range for practice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you touch them a lot?

This!!!

Gun in holster comes off belt in the evening as one unit.
In the morning gun in holster goes back on the belt.

I know this is not GD but Stop finger fucking carry gun.

Quoted:

Stop doing that. Unless using it on the range, there is absolutely no reason to unload your carry gun weekly!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Fired off the HSTs in my EDC that get soaked in sweat, rain, extremely hot environments, backup ammo left in the truck… you get the point.

They all went bang, cycled, and made round holes. Been loaded for about 2 years.

Normally the 45s live in the safe, and I shoot like a box/yr from the 45 checking the optic between loud/silencer. They do get whatever god throws at me during gun season.

The gold dots in my couch/shorts gun, despite their mild lifestyle, all went bang the other day too.

The only round that has went click was a hand loaded .223 that I chambered about a dozen times. The round under it went bang.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This!!!

Stop doing that. Unless using it on the range, there is absolutely no reason to unload your carry gun weekly!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

Quoted:

Gotta agree, and have never understood the compulsion behind unnecessary manipulation, downloading, reloading, etc. It's one thing if you're in a sweaty, humid, or dirty environment and need to perform maintenance. But otherwise, the only times I "unload" my carry mags is once or twice a year by firing them out on the range and then reloading with fresh carry ammo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I unload it once a week to shoot it. I have a range on my property and shoot several times a week.  I thought I was going easy on my carry ammo by only shooting that pistol once a week.  The dents are not from ltoo much chambering. It happens to every round in the mag eventually. Also, another thing I should have mentioned,  the HST in spare carry mags in my ammo cans looks fine. Its only the ammo that gets carried around that looks dented. I have pics of the damaged ammo  but not sure how to post them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine last 2 weeks, then I shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I unload it once a week to shoot it. I have a range on my property and shoot several times a week.  I thought I was going easy on my carry ammo by only shooting that pistol once a week.  The dents are not from ltoo much chambering. It happens to every round in the mag eventually. Also, another thing I should have mentioned,  the HST in spare carry mags in my ammo cans looks fine. Its only the ammo that gets carried around that looks dented. I have pics of the damaged ammo  but not sure how to post them.
View Quote

I unload my G-43 mag every week when I shoot too, sometimes the spare mag I carry as well. I just unloaded the mag in my pistol and examined all seven rounds of 124 gr. HST. After close to six months in rotation (due to change them out soon) they look perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Do your mags rattle, loaded or unloaded?

No ammo I’ve used gets that beat up in such a short time. Something is wrong… I don’t believe the ammo itself is that far out of spec due to my long term abuse of it from various lots. Though it could be, shit happens. I’d look at what you do physically during the day, and maybe test chambering a single fresh one to find a trouble spot.

Worth investing in some extra mags, just so you don’t have to keep unloading them the not-fun (re: expensive) way.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have fired ammo made in the 90’s -1890’s that fired just fine. Stop worrying
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I also have duplicates and I haven't unloaded my primary in 2 1/2 years. That's the last time I shot it. Once I hit 10,000 rounds without a stoppage, I made the higher round count gun the permanent range gun. I use 147 gr HST.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS might be what OP is referring too. I've noticed some of my 124gr HST rounds do this as well.  Not my pic.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#37]
What may be happening is the case mouth crimp is so tight that the case buckles instead of the bullet setting back when a round is chambered over and over.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#38]

This is almost identical to the marks on mine, except mine are a bit closer to the case mouth.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What may be happening is the case mouth crimp is so tight that the case buckles instead of the bullet setting back when a round is chambered over and over.
View Quote

I agree however I never chamber rounds over and over. My carry mags stay loaded and I use spares at the range. Some of the 124’s I mentioned had not even been out of the mags until I rotated new ammo in and put them in shoot box. M&P and Glock mags. Strange one indeed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#40]
WE run 124 HST in our duty guns.  We get a new supply every two years.  Mine looks like that and maybe worse by the time I trade it out. It goes bang and I usually shoot my qualifier with it instead of the 124 Blazer they give us and keep the Blazer for my own off duty practice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I just unloaded the mag from my primary Glock 17 that's been loaded for years and none of the rounds look like that. The ammo is 147 gr HST (the older stuff). The case on the top round looks a little rough from being rechambered several times, though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I usually rotate carry ammo once or twice a year I have yet to have one fail.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I haven't had one fail yet. I won't worry about it, and continue to swap them out when they get bad.   I'll accuracy and velocity test them when I get a good stock of dented ones
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top