Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 11:14:49 AM EDT

Test Gun: Sig P320, P365
Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Federal 9mm 124gr Hydra-Shok
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel, Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 1027 , 981fps
BB Calibration: 3.25 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/04/28/federal-9mm-124gr-hydra-shok-in-vyse-ballistic-gel/
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That is quite the difference in measurements, I hadn't previously seen such a large change in handgun round performance by switching between the gel types. One more reason to use organic gel, I guess.

I will also shoot most handloads in Clear Gel. Loose Rounds and rifle will also be using Clear Gel.
View Quote
I actually strongly recommend firing rifle rounds into organic ballistic gelatin. If anything, the difference between clear gel and organic gel is even greater with rifles, since the shear strength of the medium is likely to play less of a factor while fluid resistance and density may be much more important. As such, while I had previously accepted clear gel as more or less "close enough" with handguns, I regarded rifle tests with clear gel as largely invalid.

It is not surprising that the results do not scale between the two gel types consistently. Due to their differing properties, it is very difficult to create any kind of precise conversion equation that would work across the board. Previously I had observed that service caliber handgun hollowpoints seemed to expand approximately 95% as much while penetrating 5% more, and again figured this was "close enough", but this is the second broad experiment that shows wildly differing results. (The_Chopping_Block has noted that this may be partially because clear gel is not nearly as temperature insensitive as advertised.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The clear gel haters are gonna LOVE this thread!

and from the test results, for good reason!

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 22caliberKIDD:
The clear gel haters are gonna LOVE this thread!  

and from the test results, for good reason! 

View Quote

No kidding. A difference of 7 inches in penetration when you're talking about penetration in the 12-18 inch range is substantial!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top