User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2019 11:33:51 AM EDT

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Federal 115gr JHP (XM9001)
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 1190, 1128fps
Gel Temperature 75 degrees.

Number eight in the series is the Federal XM9001 115gr JHP. This load is often compared to the +P+ 9pble and appears to use the same bullet but pushing then with less velocity and more penetration. It also comes in at $13.99 for a box of 50.

With the Sig 229, I got a five-shot average velocity of 1190fps with a high of 1198fps and a low of 1182fps.

Ten yards off hand five shots with the Sig P229

Out of the Nano, the five shot velocity average was 1128fps with a high of 1151fps and a low of 1114fps.

Ten yards off hand five shots with the Beretta Nano

The first round from the Sig P229 hit the bare gel block at a velocity of 1191fps and penetrated to 11.25 inches. The recovered diameter was .67 inches and weight was 115.2 grains. The second round's velocity was 1202fps and it penetrated to 11 inches. The recovered weight was 115.6 grains and its expansion was .66 inches.

In the gel covered with heavy clothing, the first round from the Sig the had a velocity of 1201fps and penetrated to 12.5 inches. The recovered diameter was .65 inches and the weight was 113.1 grains. Round two's velocity was 1220fps and it penetrated to 10.5 inches.  The recovered diameter was .67 inches and the recovered weight was also 113.1 grains.

Using the Beretta Nano the first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 1120fps and penetration of 11.5 inches. The recovered weight was 114.2 grains and the recovered diameter was .63 inches. Round two had a velocity of 1139fps and it penetrated to 11 inches. The bullet weight was 114.4 grains and the diameter was .64 inches.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Cheap ammo too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Penetration is nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Click2Boom] [#3]
Not bad at all.

Practically speaking, is there any difference between getting hit with this and with HST/GD?  I would guess the answer is: Probably not.

I suppose a good question would be if hst/gd would do better through thick clothing

ETA just looked at OP's site, the 147HST was basically unaffected by clothing.

Nice site, op!
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
Penetration is nothing to write home about.
View Quote
Especially since results in clear gel are exaggerated over organic gel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I think the results are very good.

So this load is basically the old "9BP" load at +P, rather than the full +P+ 9BPLE load??

At that price, I may have to get some!
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote
Testing like this is expensive not counting the time involved to do it. On top of the ammo, 5pins has to buy a block and the clothing pack to accompany. You're also looking at a mould to melt and an oven for melting. Does his wife want him taking up the kitchen or does he have his own space? Maybe an old used oven out in the garage?

Organic gel is not much better. No oven needed to prep but you do need a refrigerator big enough to accept a mould and the space to chill the block for a couple days. Will his wife make space or does he have room for a spare fridge somewhere else? And while organic gel is a little cheaper per block, it can only be used once.

While it would be nice to see the various testers using organic, I appreciate the fact that 5pins is doing these tests regardless of media used. I assume he, like many testers on YouTube and elsewhere, are not being paid by anyone. Testing is being done out of curiosity and a hobbyist interest in terminal performance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Testing like this is expensive not counting the time involved to do it. On top of the ammo, 5pins has to buy a block and the clothing pack to accompany. You're also looking at a mould to melt and an oven for melting. Does his wife want him taking up the kitchen or does he have his own space? Maybe an old used oven out in the garage?

Organic gel is not much better. No oven needed to prep but you do need a refrigerator big enough to accept a mould and the space to chill the block for a couple days. Will his wife make space or does he have room for a spare fridge somewhere else? And while organic gel is a little cheaper per block, it can only be used once.

While it would be nice to see the various testers using organic, I appreciate the fact that 5pins is doing these tests regardless of media used. I assume he, like many testers on YouTube and elsewhere, are not being paid by anyone. Testing is being done out of curiosity and a hobbyist interest in terminal performance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Yes it's easier to deal with but we all need to remember that clear gel is not showing realistic terminal ballistics.

Milk jugs are easier and cheaper to work with too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Yes it's easier to deal with but we all need to remember that clear gel is not showing realistic terminal ballistics.

View Quote
Even if he were to use empty milk jugs or ziplock bags filled with water, he's still investing time and money. How much has he spent on ammo these last couple years?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Another great test by a member.  This has been a good series on budget SD ammo. Thanks 5pins
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks 5pins.

Anyone complaining, please feel free to do your own testing and post the results here. The more the merrier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#12]
Originally Posted By Eric802:
Yes, in reviewing some of 5pins’ posts it seems you feel the need to comment on the type of gel fairly often. You can probably stop doing that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eric802:

Yes, in reviewing some of 5pins’ posts it seems you feel the need to comment on the type of gel fairly often. You can probably stop doing that.
That's a Roger

ETA, I was only reminding folks of the disparity between organic gel and clear gel when people brought up the test results as a sign of being good self defense ammo. I thought in tech we were encouraged to be technical. I'm not arguing and will no longer post in his threads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]

That's a Roger

ETA, I was only reminding folks of the disparity between organic gel and clear gel when people brought up the test results as a sign of being good self defense ammo. I thought in tech we were encouraged to be technical. I'm not arguing and will no longer post in his threads.
View Quote
This should help clarify the differences:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Synthetic%20Gelatin/Synthetic%20Gelatin.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I always thought the clear gel gave good results with handgun rounds, but rifle and higher velocity rounds tend cause the exaggeration?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Any test, even shooting rounds into water jugs, is interesting and worthy of discussion.

The OP, taking the time to post pictures, listing velocities, ammo prices, etc. is informative and always appreciated.

Numerous sources of valuable data (Molon) have been driven off by critics who point out some minutia that could be done better or different.

I'm perfectly OK with someone pointing out that clear gel is not 100% comparable to organic and starting a discussion as long as we realize that the OP put his money, effort and heart into providing the data and we stay appreciative and constructive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
^ Agreed. I'm not here to nitpick either, as I use clear gel, because it's affordable for me to use.

When I tested from 5" barrel, I got approx 10" of penetration:

9x19mm, 115gr JHP, XM9001, Federal Ammunition, Velocity + Gel Test
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#17]
OP (or anyone) where can I get some of this ammo for cheap?
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
OP (or anyone) where can I get some of this ammo for cheap?
View Quote
I got all the ones I tested at Target Sports USA. SG ammo is also another good place to find them.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

https://www.sgammo.com/
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I sold pallets of this stuff a few years ago. I wish I had kept more for myself. Even with a warehouse full of Ranger, Gold Dot LE, Federal Tac I  carried this load in my back up for years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:04:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45custom] [#20]
Regarding clear gel-while there's technically no universal conversion formula, with handguns I find that multiplying penetration by 0.95x and average expansion by 1.05x gets you pretty close to 10% ordnance gel.

With rifles it's pretty much a crapshoot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By hotpig:
I sold pallets of this stuff a few years ago. I wish I had kept more for myself. Even with a warehouse full of Ranger, Gold Dot LE, Federal Tac I  carried this load in my back up for years.
View Quote
Are you not in the ammo business anymore? I tried recently to get to your website and it was error.

@hotpig
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I retired and closed on January first of 2019.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Outstanding Job on the Federal 9mm 115gr JHP (XM9001) in Clear Ballistics Gel review thank you for the post, I've noticed the same old trolls chime in with their sarcastic remarks !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top