User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TripleC:

Hey OP

Have you thought about testing the Hornady Critical Duty in 45?

It is supposed to be more of a perpetrator hence the harder compound lead used. I think of it as the next gen XTP and think it may be decent for a woods round.
View Quote
I have not tried it in .45 but I have in 9 and 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 5pins:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TripleC:

Hey OP

Have you thought about testing the Hornady Critical Duty in 45?

It is supposed to be more of a perpetrator hence the harder compound lead used. I think of it as the next gen XTP and think it may be decent for a woods round.
Ok I see you did do those in 9 and 10mm

Seems they worked as intended but many arent fond of their performance since they sacrifice expansion for penetration
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always liked HST, and it was my agency duty issue ammo for years.  I would like to see a comparison between HST, Speer's "flying ashtray" load, and Hornady Critical Duty ammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

HST has been scientifically tested many times. What is the Speer bullet you mentioned? Hornady's CD is a sub-par performer when compared to HST. It offers very little expansion.
View Quote
I think he is talking about the old 200gr Speer JHP. Speer stopped making them some time ago, mid 90’s I think. Back in the day, it was supposed to be the best .45ACP carry load. It may have been good back then but it’s nowhere near the performance we see today.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog/speer-flying-ashtray-in-clear-ballistics-gel
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My nightstand gun has 13+1 230gr HST and my carry gun has 6+1 of ‘em.
The glovebox gun gets fed 15+1 9mm HST though.

Been carrying HSTs probably since it came out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Great test that’s amazing, really makes me want to carry a .45 again !!

I wonder how much better the +p version is ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how far it penetrates before turning to the side for the remainder of the penetration.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]

I think he is talking about the old 200gr Speer JHP. Speer stopped making them some time ago, mid 90’s I think.
View Quote
They're still making it.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/45-auto-acp-ammo/50-round-box-speer-gold-dot-45-auto-p-200-grain-gdhp-ammo-53969
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pins] [#10]
No, that's the Gold Dot. The stuff I'm talking about is pre-Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Flying ashtray?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By banzai794:
Flying ashtray?
View Quote
The original Speer .45 200gr JHP was nicked named the “Flying Ashtray” because of the large hollow point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Used to reload the Speer 200 gr JHP "Flying Ashtray" back in the late 80s-90s.

CD
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Question for you guys ? I like the 45 round and I've studied the ballistic data for the 45 and other calibers. I carry the Remington golden Saber 185g +p ammo and here's why. It's moving at a velocity of 1150 FPS with a 185 grain bullet with muzzle energy @ 540 ft-lbs. That's 10mm performance and out performs the HST ammo. Am I missing something ? Why the HST ?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cubanchurchill: It's moving at a velocity of 1150 FPS with a 185 grain bullet with muzzle energy @ 540 ft-lbs. That's 10mm performance and out performs the HST ammo.
View Quote
Watered down 10mm...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By the_professional:

Watered down 10mm...
View Quote
But still has better ballistics than the HST ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you tested it in gel?  Do you know it's penetration vs. expansion?  What happens when clothing gets in the way?
Does it really hit the numbers on the box?

I don't know myself, do you?  Not picking nits here, just asking questions you should be asking as well.  There is more to a self defense load than just muzzle velocity and energy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cubanchurchill:
Question for you guys ? I like the 45 round and I've studied the ballistic data for the 45 and other calibers. I carry the Remington golden Saber 185g +p ammo and here's why. It's moving at a velocity of 1150 FPS with a 185 grain bullet with muzzle energy @ 540 ft-lbs. That's 10mm performance and out performs the HST ammo. Am I missing something ? Why the HST ?
View Quote
That was our duty load for many years when we were issued .45s, that and it’s predecessor. The 185 +p GS suffers so bad from jacket separation it is scary. Not necessarily a bad thing if your talking about non barriers but it’s a load that I wouldn’t carry by any means.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you save the projectiles that you fire?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
More is....well, more.

Just as the 9mm benefited from modern bullet design (most especially with the HST) so have all the other calibers. The 9mm loaded with the best modern ammo is good enough while the larger calibers, also benefiting are still better performers terminally. The pro's and con's havnt changed.

[edited]
View Quote
Well said.

This ammo test compares favorably with ballistics gelatin testing I've seen on YouTube and elsewhere
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]
230 grain HST JHP vs 230 grain HST JHP +P would be ( nostalgic ?? ) .
Are there current 230 grain JHP’s that penetrate barriers and still expand above 3/4 inch ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By feudist:
It's hard to believe the Subject Matter Experts who tell us that there is no difference in handgun rounds.

But, they are adamant about it.

View Quote

I mean, they see more bullets pulled out of dead people than probably anyone, and Robert’s still contends there’s no difference in humans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]

HST has been scientifically tested many times. What is the Speer bullet you mentioned? Hornady's CD is a sub-par performer when compared to HST. It offers very little expansion.
View Quote

Critical Duty expanded enough to be chosen by the FBI.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
My 1911 won’t run HST but it’s what I use in my G41
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
My 1911 won't run HST but it's what I use in my G41
View Quote
My 9mm and 45 ACP 1911's will eat it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

And the 200gr Flying Ashtray has the opposite problem of over expanding and penetrating under 12" iirc. It was a good load back in the 80's, compared to many others, but eclipsed by modern designs like the HST. I also like the Win. Ranger 230gr.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 4:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1stID] [#27]
Originally Posted By joglee:

View Quote

Governments award contracts based on meeting minimum standards, and then being the cheapest.  

Guns and ammo selected by them will be fine to use, as there are almost always decent technical requirements that have to be met.  But once met, there are usually no extra points for something being better, even far better.  

It makes sense if you need to outfit a million man army, or a 100 man department with a set budget.  You select something that will do what you consider the job, and costs the least.

But for the hobbyist, who's buying a scope or a red dot or 100 rounds of carry ammo, there's not a huge cost difference between something that meets a minimum standard, and something that is substantially better.

So don't necessary use the fact that a government agency has selected a gun / ammo / mag / scope, as it being "the best", as that's not what they are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

Governments award contracts based on meeting minimum standards, and then being the cheapest.  

Guns and ammo selected by them will be fine to use, as there are almost always decent technical requirements that have to be met.  But once met, there are usually no extra points for something being better, even far better.  

It makes sense if you need to outfit a million man army, or a 100 man department with a set budget.  You select something that will do what you consider the job, and costs the least.

But for the hobbyist, who's buying a scope or a red dot or 100 rounds of carry ammo, there's not a huge cost difference between something that meets a minimum standard, and something that is substantially better.

So don't necessary use the fact that a government agency has selected a gun / ammo / mag / scope, as it being "the best", as that's not what they are looking for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1stID:

That's not the case here. Critical Duty penatrates more across the board and expands less than HSTs. That's what the agency wanted.

Critical Duty
Bare organic gel-14"/ 0.71"
Heavy clothing-14.5"/ 0.69"
Steel-17.75"/0.54"
Wallboard- 13.5"/0.70"
Plywood- 15"/ 0.66"
Auto Glass- 13.75"- 0.53"

HST
Bare organic gel- 12.5"/ 0.98"
Heavy clothing- 13"/ 0.89"
Steel- 17.5"/ 0.51"
Wallboard- 13"/ 0.91"
Plywood- 13"/ 0.92"
Auto Glass- 10.5"/ 0.72"

I'm carrying HST as we speak but I'm more impressed with the Critical duty ammo.

I'd rather have 1-3" deeper penetration and 0.2 less expansion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GSL:
380 and 38 leave a bad taste. The 9, 40, or 45 is where it really shines.

But still no 10mm HST from Federal

View Quote

There is now.  But like most factory 10mm ammo, they forgot to fill the case with powder.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

That's not the case here. Critical Duty penatrates more across the board and expands less than HSTs. That's what the agency wanted.

Critical Duty
Steel-17.75"/0.54"
Wallboard- 13.5"/0.70"
Plywood- 15"/ 0.66"

HST
Steel- 17.5"/ 0.51"
Wallboard- 13"/ 0.91"
Plywood- 13"/ 0.92"
Auto Glass- 10.5"/ 0.72"

I'm carrying HST as we speak but I'm more impressed with the Critical duty ammo.

View Quote

Le.Vista Outdoor's HST gel tests are outdated, they haven't been updated in likely over a decade. The HST projectiles have undergone rolling changes since - the 124 gr HST on the le.vista tests doesn't even reach 12" in bare gel while Federal themselves listed a 13.1" figure for the same product and the same test in 2022.

When tested in 2013, 230 gr HST +P penetrated to 13.8" in bare gel and 14.5" in 4LD-covered gel out of a 5" barrel. Through auto glass, penetration averaged 13.5". This performance is likely very similar to current day 230 gr HST +P performance, as the projectile design does not appear to have underwent significant change.

The generation of Critical Duty tested in the 2013 link is likewise outdated; current gen Critical Duty penetrates less but likely expands only slightly more. The Hornady Catalog and Le.Vista's tests list maximum expansion (widest span between 2 bullet points), the pistol-forum post lists average expansion (average of widest and narrowest diameters at the face of the bullet), which is a better measure of frontal area.

Increasing bullet diameter from 0.65 to 0.80 results in an approximate 50% increase in frontal area.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 45custom:

Le.Vista Outdoor's HST gel tests are outdated, they haven't been updated in likely over a decade. The HST projectiles have undergone rolling changes since - the 124 gr HST on the le.vista tests doesn't even reach 12" in bare gel while Federal themselves listed a 13.1" figure for the same product and the same test in 2022.

When tested in 2013, 230 gr HST +P penetrated to 13.8" in bare gel and 14.5" in 4LD-covered gel out of a 5" barrel. Through auto glass, penetration averaged 13.5". This performance is likely very similar to current day 230 gr HST +P performance, as the projectile design does not appear to have underwent significant change.

The generation of Critical Duty tested in the 2013 link is likewise outdated; current gen Critical Duty penetrates less but likely expands only slightly more. The Hornady Catalog and Le.Vista's tests list maximum expansion (widest span between 2 bullet points), the pistol-forum post lists average expansion (average of widest and narrowest diameters at the face of the bullet), which is a better measure of frontal area.

Increasing bullet diameter from 0.65 to 0.80 results in an approximate 50% increase in frontal area.
View Quote

As we’ve found, that increase in frontal area doesn’t make any diffetence in real world shootings.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45custom] [#32]

As we’ve found, that increase in frontal area doesn’t make any diffetence in real world shootings.
View All Quotes

That's funny, because Dr. Roberts himself seems to have had a different assessment of the 2013 test results:
The CD loads penetrate deeper than needed, don't crush as much tissue as the could, and are not as sharp on the leading edge as other projectiles.

In general, the Hornady Critical Duty ammunition did NOT perform as well as several current JHP loads.

As for this:

I mean, they see more bullets pulled out of dead people than probably anyone, and Robert’s still contends there’s no difference in humans.

I had hoped to avoid getting stuck in another one of these stupid discussions, but I guess I'll address this since I suppose it forms much of the basis of your reply.

Dr. Roberts does not deny that .45 ACP inflicts larger wounds given comparable bullet design, either now or before. That is an objective fact.

He does not think the difference in effectiveness is significant. That is a matter of subjective opinion.

Now, I'll point out the following:

• Dr. Roberts notes a "small, but measurable" improvement in performance from standard pressure 230 gr HST to 230 gr +P HST. If there is a measurable difference between standard pressure and +P 230 gr HST, then what of the difference between 230 gr +P HST and practically any 9mm JHP, where the difference is much greater?

• If there is no difference between an ~0.53" JHP (9mm 135 gr +P Critical Duty, which I take it you prefer since it is the FBI contract loading) and an ~0.8" JHP (230 gr +P HST), then there should also be no difference between an 0.35" bullet (9mm FMJ) and an 0.53" bullet, right?

• There is no good public study of the differences in effectiveness between larger and smaller handgun handgun rounds, to include comprehensive multivariate analysis and an accessible data set. However, all 3 of the more poorly conducted surveys I have seen appear to indicate an advantage for .45 ACP. This advantage varies in magnitude, ranging from modest and uncertain to substantial, and very well may have arisen from random chance - but it is interesting that this has been consistent across all 3 investigations, in opposition to your claims, no?

• Perhaps about the only IWBA member who may have studied more shootings than Dr. Roberts was his colleague Dr. Fackler. If you read through the IWBA issues, you'll see Fackler regularly cites frontal area and crush cavity volume as a key component of bullet effectiveness, including that of .45 ACP, and continued to imply as much in a 2012 interview a few years before his death. Since he may very well have seen "more bullets pulled out of dead people than anyone", does that mean his opinion necessarily takes precedence? (The answer is no. It's okay for different people to come to different conclusions after looking at the same set of data.)

• You do realize how utterly arbitrary the FBI scoring criteria is, even putting the issue of expansion aside? Just a few years after its introduction, members of the IWBA were already questioning why it allotted the majority of its weight to barrier tests when approximately half of the LEO agencies on record hadn't even seen a single barrier shooting the past year.

Hopefully I don't need to comment further on this topic, frankly at this point I consider it quite tiresome.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#33]
@5pins What does "heavy clothing" mean, exactly? Four layers of denim? A Carhartt jacket, the bane of NYPD-issued hollow-points?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CherokeeGunslinger:
@5pins What does "heavy clothing" mean, exactly? Four layers of denim? A Carhartt jacket, the bane of NYPD-issued hollow-points?
View Quote

Heavy clothing test is 1x layer of denim, 1x layer of fleece, 1x layer of cotton dress shirt, 1x layer of cotton tshirt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Heavy clothing test is 1x layer of denim, 1x layer of fleece, 1x layer of cotton dress shirt, 1x layer of cotton tshirt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CherokeeGunslinger:

What he said.

https://general-cartridge.com/2017/11/23/what-is-heavy-clothing/
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Calibration BB should probably be a part of the drill even if Clear Gel and Ordnance Gel are not the same stuff. If nothing else it would help verify that the synthetic gel is comparable from one melting to the next.
View Quote

The scientific standard for terminal ballistic test media validation is not firing a standard .177 caliber (4.5 mm) steel BB from an air gun over a chronograph at 590 feet per second (fps), plus or minus +/- 15 fps into whatever shit you can con ignorant people into buying, resulting in 8.5 centimeters (cm), plus or minus 1 cm, penetration (2.95" - 3.74").

The scientific standard for terminal ballistic test media validation is firing a standard .177 caliber (4.5 mm) steel BB from an air gun over a chronograph at 590 feet per second (fps), plus or minus +/- 15 fps into properly prepared 10% Kind & Knox or Vyse 250-A ordnance gelatin, resulting in 8.5 centimeters (cm), plus or minus 1 cm, penetration (2.95" - 3.74").   Period.  Anyone who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand what a scientific standard is.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Bullet technology has truly evolved over the last 30+ years I’ve been a student.

I’ve been involved in my Dept testing over the years completed to FBI protocol.

I remember the days of selective picks for caliber, bullet weight, design, etc...

Based off what I’ve seen in testing and actual street performance I feel pretty confident in recommending HST or Gold Dot across the range of calibers and bullet weights. Both rounds perform excellent with a slight edge to GD on harder barriers and a slight edge to HST on muzzle to target shots (light or heavy clothing).

As for other players in the game Hornady defensive ammo seems to penatrate more and expand less. Winchester doesn’t seem to be the player it once was in the market and I’ve heard of spotty QC in some cases.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Critical Duty
Steel-17.75"/0.54"
Wallboard- 13.5"/0.70"
Plywood- 15"/ 0.66"

HST
Steel- 17.5"/ 0.51"
Wallboard- 13"/ 0.91"
Plywood- 13"/ 0.92"
Auto Glass- 10.5"/ 0.72"

Thanks for the updated info
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:50:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#40]
Originally Posted By GSL:
We need your threads saved. Like Molon has with a ton of valuable links.

Who's the mod here in Ammunition?

@Zhukov
View Quote

Don't forget Buffman_LT1 and the effort he goes through to test plates.

Some of the members here go above and beyond testing products and then sharing it with the rest of us.

Should be a place for all of that data.  Hard to sift through all of the noise to find it sometimes.

Thanks 5pins!
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#41]

That's funny, because Dr. Roberts himself seems to have had a different assessment of the 2013 test results:

As for this:

I had hoped to avoid getting stuck in another one of these stupid discussions, but I guess I'll address this since I suppose it forms much of the basis of your reply.

Dr. Roberts does not deny that .45 ACP inflicts larger wounds given comparable bullet design, either now or before. That is an objective fact.

He does not think the difference in effectiveness is significant. That is a matter of subjective opinion.

Now, I'll point out the following:

• Dr. Roberts notes a "small, but measurable" improvement in performance from standard pressure 230 gr HST to 230 gr +P HST. If there is a measurable difference between standard pressure and +P 230 gr HST, then what of the difference between 230 gr +P HST and practically any 9mm JHP, where the difference is much greater?

• If there is no difference between an ~0.53" JHP (9mm 135 gr +P Critical Duty, which I take it you prefer since it is the FBI contract loading) and an ~0.8" JHP (230 gr +P HST), then there should also be no difference between an 0.35" bullet (9mm FMJ) and an 0.53" bullet, right?

• There is no good public study of the differences in effectiveness between larger and smaller handgun handgun rounds, to include comprehensive multivariate analysis and an accessible data set. However, all 3 of the more poorly conducted surveys I have seen appear to indicate an advantage for .45 ACP. This advantage varies in magnitude, ranging from modest and uncertain to substantial, and very well may have arisen from random chance - but it is interesting that this has been consistent across all 3 investigations, in opposition to your claims, no?

• Perhaps about the only IWBA member who may have studied more shootings than Dr. Roberts was his colleague Dr. Fackler. If you read through the IWBA issues, you'll see Fackler regularly cites frontal area and crush cavity volume as a key component of bullet effectiveness, including that of .45 ACP, and continued to imply as much in a 2012 interview a few years before his death. Since he may very well have seen "more bullets pulled out of dead people than anyone", does that mean his opinion necessarily takes precedence? (The answer is no. It's okay for different people to come to different conclusions after looking at the same set of data.)

• You do realize how utterly arbitrary the FBI scoring criteria is, even putting the issue of expansion aside? Just a few years after its introduction, members of the IWBA were already questioning why it allotted the majority of its weight to barrier tests when approximately half of the LEO agencies on record hadn't even seen a single barrier shooting the past year.

Hopefully I don't need to comment further on this topic, frankly at this point I consider it quite tiresome.
View Quote

Posting data and/or educated opinions should always be welcomed and appreciated. Even if some may disagree on some aspects.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#42]
Originally Posted By 1911greg:
Great test that’s amazing, really makes me want to carry a .45 again !!

I wonder how much better the +p version is ?
View Quote

Yeah some of those pictures in the original post make me think that the commonly thrown around phase "All handgun rounds suck" is simply just not true anymore.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top