Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2020 9:29:00 AM EDT
I am wanting an engraved SA revolver.  Higher end hand engraved Colt for $20K isn’t my desire - I want a nice shooter to carry on the ranch that I can give to my daughters in a few years.  My budget is around $1K and I ideally a 357 so I can shoot 38 as well, but 45 LC isn’t out of the question.  Polished stainless finish.  Friend of mine has one - Urberti Cattlemen perhaps - that rusted rather quickly so it is obviously not true SS.  Appreciate the help as wheel guns are not an area I’m very knowledgeable in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Stainless steel will rust. It is just more resistant than carbon steel.

Ruger had an engraved Talo stainless Vaquero a few years ago, you'll have to search on gunbroker to find one if  there is any avaiable.

Cimarron has a few, but they're nickel not stainless. It's laser engraving so I'm not sure how deep or good it actually is.

I ran across this:

Texas Ranger Engraved
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger still has them on their website in 45 Colt.

Ruger Vaquero

And a bit on a single six model:

Singel six convertable

I don't know if there are others.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
In that price range I'd choose the Talo Ruger Vaquero in a heartbeat.  Excellent guns for that price and extremely durable.  It will definitely last multiple lifetimes.  You also get the advantage of the transfer bar which allows safe carry of a full cylinder of six rounds.  The fact that it looks great and is made in America is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Talo - appreciate all the replies. Those $30,000 custom hand engraved Colt SAA’s are really pretty, but I want something to shoot, not an investment I can’t touch.  Are the Talo’s still in production or is Gun Broker the only resource?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I just saw this on GB. It's not SS but if you were to wipe it off after you carry it with a little oil, it wouldn't rust.

You'd have to be diligent about it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868732955
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By magalops:
I just saw this on GB. It's not SS but if you were to wipe it off after you carry it with a little oil, it wouldn't rust.

You'd have to be diligent about it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868732955
View Quote

That is a damn nice looking job for that price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Hand Etching White Photo Engraved

What does that mean exactly?  Then below it says laser engraved. Can you feel the engraving.  Wondering how laser engraved would hold up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
I like the Talo - appreciate all the replies. Those $30,000 custom hand engraved Colt SAA’s are really pretty, but I want something to shoot, not an investment I can’t touch.  Are the Talo’s still in production or is Gun Broker the only resource?
View Quote

I think it's still in production but you would have to contact Talo to know for sure.  It would probably be easiest to buy off gunbroker or Buds Guns or something.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
Hand Etching White Photo Engraved

What does that mean exactly?  Then below it says laser engraved. Can you feel the engraving.  Wondering how laser engraved would hold up.
View Quote

Any engraved gun you find for under a grand will be laser engraved not hand engraved.  Lasers can do amazing stuff these days.  It's not quite as deep as hand engraving although there's such thing as "deep laser" engraving that comes close.  The laser engraving will last just fine over the years.  There's no wearing it off.  Hand engraving will be many thousands to many, many thousands of dollars.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at EMF Great Western II, there are several different options.

https://www.emf-company.com/
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Went to look at a few options and didn’t find one I felt I needed to buy today, however I did bring home this Uberti in 357. This will scratch the itch until I find the engraved one I want. I have an older U.S. Arms Abilene in 44 mag but there’s a problem with the hammer or trigger and I don’t feel comfortable  firing it and haven’t found someone local that has the experience to fix it. I need to visit some cowboy action shooting events and make some friends to find a guy I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top