Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 5:40:29 PM EDT
So I posted this in the FN Herstal forum by mistake a month ago.  My Department got the call that FN is retiring the entire FNS line of weapons.  I am bummed.  I was a Sig fanboy, and when we switched to the FNS-40L as our duty weapon, I really fell in love.  Since they dropped this bomb on us, we cancelled all pending orders, and now switched to Glock.  Now, we find a function problem with the FNS (cant get into it), and now we are getting rid of all FNS weapons, and we have to switch to Glock.  I am buying my own Glock 34, since I hate the Glock 17, it shoots for shit, in my experience.

FN, why?   why?   Why?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
FN sure likes to orphan handguns.  I had an FNP-45T, when they dropped the line and moved to the FNX.   I had trouble finding FNP magazines before the switch, after it was nearly impossible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that sucks. I loved my FNS-9 and 9C. In the back of my head I saw this coming though. There was no way they would make two polymer frame handguns that filled the exact same market. The 509 was a deathbell for the FNS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant imagine their handguns sell all of that well.  I do miss my FNP-9 though
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Why can't you get into it?

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
This really sucks. I personally prefer the overall look and feel of the FNS series over the 509.  509 seems like a great gun and platform to continue on with, but the FNS was nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
There is so much part compatibility between the FNS and 509 series that this move was not unexpected and frankly, not impractical.

I just really wish FN will make a midsize 509, in addition to the longslide and compact versions. .40 and .45 caliber versions would be great also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know FN's lineup in detail. Is the loss of the FNS to be replaced by the 509 a huge deal? Are there features/ capabilities in the FNS cut from the FN509?

ETA: FN makes fine looking pistols, came damn close to pulling the trigger on a FNX 45 tactical before i got my P220.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is so much part compatibility between the FNS and 509 series that this move was not unexpected and frankly, not impractical.

I just really wish FN will make a midsize 509, in addition to the longslide and compact versions. .40 and .45 caliber versions would be great also.
View Quote
Absolutely.  Seems they didn't plan this very well
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually a Glock 17 is fine. You can shoot a 34 but not a 17 lol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually a Glock 17 is fine. You can shoot a 34 but not a 17 lol.
View Quote
Well, I heard the gen 5 Glock 17 is a giant improvement over the POS gen 3 I had.  That thing patterned like a fucking 12 gauge, so I sold it.  So maybe.  The gen 4 Glock 34 I have shot, and it is a tack driver.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I guess my month old FNS-9L is a museum piece.
" />
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m rapidly becoming a 509 fanboy, but agree they need a variant with a shorter grip.  Excited for when Apex makes the 509 trigger kit.

Only had one FNS years ago and wasn’t a fan at the time, but I didn’t give it a chance because I was a Glock guy.

Might snag an FNS compact before they dry up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Apex has only been vaporwaring that trigger for over a year now :D
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FN sure likes to orphan handguns.  I had an FNP-45T, when they dropped the line and moved to the FNX.   I had trouble finding FNP magazines before the switch, after it was nearly impossible.
View Quote
Yup and you can't help but wonder if that hurts their sales from people scared to commit. Even the XD and M&P stuck it out which is kind of what you have to do to be in this game. It seemed like the few times I was actually considering buying one I would see them being blown out somewhere because they were not selling or being replaced.

Reminds me of Sig with some of their guns like the 556 and probably the MCX
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Two years.
Apex 509 Trigger Update
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol...
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Just bought a FNS-40L on gunbroker, so I have one moving forward.  I assume they will be taking my issued one back eventually, so $400 is not a bad deal for a NIB pistol that is a solid shooter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
You do know these are available now, right?

509 triggers

After watching the vids on installation, I can understand what took so long. Way more complex than a Glock or M&P. I had tried a pre production model a few months ago, and it was really, really nice. They explained when they had to tweak a single thing it impacted other components and they had to restart their testing protocols all over again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw Eurooptic was blowing them out and thought this might be the case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup and you can't help but wonder if that hurts their sales from people scared to commit. Even the XD and M&P stuck it out which is kind of what you have to do to be in this game. It seemed like the few times I was actually considering buying one I would see them being blown out somewhere because they were not selling or being replaced.

Reminds me of Sig with some of their guns like the 556 and probably the MCX
View Quote
This is why I continue to own XDs. Everytime I think I might switch something like this happens and the XD keeps truckin'.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I saw Eurooptic was blowing them out and thought this might be the case.
View Quote
They do have some good prices for sure!   The FNS-9L only $349!!!    I might have to buy another...
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ditched my FNP USG and simply traded it for a G21. Never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
At NRAAM 2018, both FN and Beretta told me they will not make their striker fired guns in .45 ACP since there is no LE market for them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You do know these are available now, right?

509 triggers

After watching the vids on installation, I can understand what took so long. Way more complex than a Glock or M&P. I had tried a pre production model a few months ago, and it was really, really nice. They explained when they had to tweak a single thing it impacted other components and they had to restart their testing protocols all over again.
View Quote
Yep :D And I agree, FN's guns are stupid complicated for internals. :D
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At NRAAM 2018, both FN and Beretta told me they will not make their striker fired guns in .45 ACP since there is no LE market for them.
View Quote
That is ridiculous. The standard issue weapon at my department is the gen 4 glock 21.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is ridiculous. The standard issue weapon at my department is the gen 4 glock 21.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because your agency is the outlier. Most agencies issue 9mm. Glock makes .45 ACP and 10mm because they like to corner the markey. Beretta and FN don't want to go through the hassle of making different frame sizes for guns that mostly won't sell and they're right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because your agency is the outlier. Most agencies issue 9mm. Glock makes .45 ACP and 10mm because they like to corner the markey. Beretta and FN don't want to go through the hassle of making different frame sizes for guns that mostly won't sell and they're right.
View Quote
Meh, must be a regional thing. I actually don't know of any agency around here using 9mm, until you get to NYC.

My department and the next two towns over are all using 45 acp. State police went from .40 to .45 a few years ago also....

Bummer either way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#28]
No one bought them so they quit making them. Pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why can't you get into it?

View Quote
It's classified. If he tells us, he has to kill us..................    
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this a real thing? Retirement of the FNS series?

FN still has the FNS & FNX on their website, but not the retired/discontinued FNP.

I want to pick up an FNS-40L & FNS-9L, but this thread has scared me.

I’d pick up the 509, but prefer a full size handgun.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top