Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 5:07:59 PM EDT
FN introduced the HP-DA in 1983 for the XM-9 pistol trials and produced them until 1987.  

In 1990, FN re-introduced them with a redesigned DA trigger in both DA/decocker and DA Only versions.  FN called them the Browning BDA9 and BDAO in the US, and the FN HP-DA and HP-DAO in Europe. The DA trigger on my post 1990 FN-HP is excellent - light by DA standards.  It's almost a two stage trigger with a very light pull initially with very abrupt stacking in the last 1/4 or so of the pull.  However, the entire pull is very smooth over all, allowing a very quick and smooth pull when shooting at speed, or a very easy to stage pull when accuracy matters on the first shot.

The trigger reach is also quite short by DA standards, particularly when de-cocked.  If your hand fits the Hi Power well, and/or you have issues reaching DA triggers, this is a DA pistol that will work well for you.

It shares the same hammer shape as the FN SFS Hi Power, which is a Mk III Hi Power with the Safety Fast Shooting system where the safety lowers the hammer onto a hammer block while leaving it cocked and locked.  Unlike the SFS Hi Power, parts commonality between the FN HP-DA and the Hi Power is very low, and the pistol was also restyled externally with a Sig Sauer looking trigger guard and a more angular treatment to the front of the slide.   Below is my FN SFS Hi Power made around the same time, with the same epoxy paint on top of parkerized finish.   The finish won't win beauty contests on either pistol, but it is very durable and does an excellent job of preventing corrosion.   My SFS was a daily carry pistol for nearly 10 years and shows very little wear.  

The major downsides with the FN-HP are the unique magazine that can be hard to find and is limited to 10 rounds (the earlier 14 round magazines are very hard to find), and the 1980s style grip with the thumb rests on each side.  Worse, the thumb rest on the left grip panel tends to block access to the magazine release, requiring a shift in grip to drop the magazine.  Replacement grips have proven impossible to find.  

Still, it's a fun pistol to shoot and is an interesting attempt at evolution/modernization of the Hi Power.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Do want.

I bought a few 14-rounders off of CDNN when they had them quite a while ago. I thought I could modify them to work in the BDM. The magazine catch is the same, but sadly, the HP-DA magazines are a tad too short to fit up all the way into the BDM magwell.

BDM magazines supposedly will work in the HP-DA, but I haven't tried it personally to confirm that.

Now I have these mags just sitting around. They need a HP-DA to go with, but it's hard to find one these days.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
if you're interested in selling a magazine or two, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I vaguely remember this model, but do the BDM. Nice that you kept this one. It always surprised me that Browning kept changing the magazine design since Hi-Power magazines were abundant in the 13rd configuration. But, pripriority rights are important I guess. Good luck on scoring more magazines.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a FN HP/DA full size pistol that I think could be serial #2 made in 2002 by the way FN does their numbering... I paid $300 for it years ago it came with the 14 round mag and 2 10 rounders... It was imported by PW Arms of Redmond Wa... I picked up a extra Browning  BDM mag for it and 3 of the 15 round mags when CDNN had them in stock... What I find odd is that it was imported during the AW ban era and the 14 round mag isn't marked for Law Enforcement Use Only... It's a nice pistol and shoots well to bad that FN discontinued them... I'll dig it out and post some pictures of it...
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a FN HP/DA full size pistol that I think could be serial #2 made in 2002 by the way FN does their numbering... I paid $300 for it years ago it came with the 14 round mag and 2 10 rounders... It was imported by PW Arms of Redmond Wa... I picked up a extra Browning  BDM mag for it and 3 of the 15 round mags when CDNN had them in stock... What I find odd is that it was imported during the AW ban era and the 14 round mag isn't marked for Law Enforcement Use Only... It's a nice pistol and shoots well to bad that FN discontinued them... I'll dig it out and post some pictures of it...
View Quote
Want to sell it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are the pictures of my HP/DA...

14 round mag that came with the gun has the thicker base plate the 15 round mag from CDNN has the thin base plate...

From looking around FN seems to start their serial numbers at 1001 so by that this would be the 2nd one off the line in 2002...

I wish the person I bought it from had the box for it...

And it's not for sale...

In my younger days I had a Colt LW Commander serial 052 and was stupid and sold it for next to nothing stupid move...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top