Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2020 5:50:17 PM EDT
Does the FN 509 still have the issues with strikers breaking?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No. That failure was mostly to the first 6 months of the original 509. If you get any version of the 509 made after about June of 2019, you should be fine.

If it still worries you, apex makes a heavy duty, fully machined striker that should never break.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a couple of the Apex strikers for my FNS pistols.  Very easy to install.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I just make sure to use a snap cap while I am dry firing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. That failure was mostly to the first 6 months of the original 509. If you get any version of the 509 made after about June of 2019, you should be fine.

If it still worries you, apex makes a heavy duty, fully machined striker that should never break.
View Quote
Apex striker also has cuts in the fromnt that look like they simulat maritime cups on Glock strikers. Do you know if anyone has done the water test with the Apex striker? If not, I might be compelled to test them both...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the apex striker in my 509M and the cuts on the front of the striker do not look big enough to prevent the hydro locking issues. It may help a little but I doubt it would prevent the issue completely.

If you want to test it and film it, I will give you an atta' boy!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m very interested in knowing this as well. Hoping the Apex striker solves the hydro locking issue.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Apex striker also has cuts in the fromnt that look like they simulat maritime cups on Glock strikers. Do you know if anyone has done the water test with the Apex striker? If not, I might be compelled to test them both...
View Quote
If ya do, please let us all know.

I put the Apex striker's in both of my FNS-9C's. Why? Because MIM sucks. Period.

Between this, and MCarbo lightened springs the pistols are a true joy to shoot. It really does make a HUGE difference over bone stock.

No issues with any light primer strikes in either of my samples. I've run over 600 rounds in each.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If ya do, please let us all know.

I put the Apex striker's in both of my FNS-9C's. Why? Because MIM sucks. Period.

Between this, and MCarbo lightened springs the pistols are a true joy to shoot. It really does make a HUGE difference over bone stock.

No issues with any light primer strikes in either of my samples. I've run over 600 rounds in each.
View Quote
Yeah I'm also much more interested in the machined part aspect than hoping it fixes the water malfunctions. I don't think the water is a huge deal personally but it'd be nice to have the info if it changes anything. I've seen those lightened springs. I was worried about light strikes (read that in a review of these springs, they said they maintained stock stiker spring and no more issues) and trigger reset issues (since those have also been reported on stock guns). I have two 509T's now so maybe I'll do some experimenting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm also much more interested in the machined part aspect than hoping it fixes the water malfunctions. I don't think the water is a huge deal personally but it'd be nice to have the info if it changes anything. I've seen those lightened springs. I was worried about light strikes (read that in a review of these springs, they said they maintained stock stiker spring and no more issues) and trigger reset issues (since those have also been reported on stock guns). I have two 509T's now so maybe I'll do some experimenting.
View Quote
Agreed, if I have any issues with light strikes the striker spring will go back to stock. Thus far, so good. I'm going to give both guns several months of range trips to validate before either of these go into service for home defense. we shall see..

And for the record, both guns still pull at 4.25lb trigger press. That's right where I like them. I did all 4 springs on the black gun, lifter & striker only on the FDE gun. Truth be told, I can't tell a big difference between the two. they both reset fine as well.

Rock on
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: I tested APex striker. Follow link for post. FN 509 Apex Striker Submersion Test
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Great info Hox, thanks for taking the time & effort to test.

Looks like the "shake awake" is the way to go..
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great info Hox, thanks for taking the time & effort to test.

Looks like the "shake awake" is the way to go..
View Quote
No problem, we all wanted to know lol. I don't think there is any problem with having to give it a quick shake like that.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top