Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2020 2:10:37 PM EDT
Wanting to get another Striker fired tactical style pistol and these are on the radar. No plans to run a can, maybe a RDS. I know the FN has suppressor height sights out of the box and the Canik doesn’t. Even if I run an RDS it doesn’t really matter as it will be a range only gun. I hear the Canik has a much better trigger. I can get them for within $50 of each other and FN actually has a rebate for a free TLR7 so I’m on the fence.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t had the 509 but I’ve had the FNS with and without the safety. Supposed to be the same trigger as the 509. The Canik triggers is much better. David
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don’t need the threaded barrel then you may want to consider their midsize MRD.   Either way, FN’s mounting system for red dots is fantastic and considered the best factory system.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I honestly don’t know why anyone would buy a Turkish pistol, and sure as shit not for $700.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The FN 509 is notorious for complete failures when wet. There are multiple videos of it in YouTube if you care to check.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly don’t know why anyone would buy a Turkish pistol, and sure as shit not for $700.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Although completely anecdotal and not first hand evidence, I do trust the people telling me this.

Last year, a nearby PD got a sweet, sweet deal from FN to go with 509s for their duty guns. FN took their old guns on trade and charged them less than $100ea for the 509s. FN also took their old holsters on trade and basically gave then new duty holsters for the 509s. Almost no one was happy, they think that the Chief and firearms instructor may have gotten kickbacks in order for FN to claim that the 509 was their issued duty gun. Number of Departments issuing a given gun is a big deal in duty guns and advertising. They had tested several different makes and, supposedly, went with FN based solely on price, not performance or anything else.

First issue was the barrels. When they went out to qualify, every pistol was having FTExtract issues. FN ended up having to send new barrels for every gun to get them to run. Not a very good way to start out with new pistols. They ended up having to put off qualifying with the 509s for several months until the new barrels came in, were installed and the guns test fired. No one I spoke to was able to tell me the exact issue, just that all of them had to have new barrels installed and that, apparently, took care of the issue. Apparently, none of the Dept admin who knows what the issue was is talking.

Another issue is the triggers. Almost everyone at that Dept carried Glocks, most issued and a few personally owned. Again, everyone I have spoken to complains about the triggers. Stiff, squishy, no discernible reset and a few have reported that the pull weight changes with each shot, sometime light, sometimes heavier. I haven't shot one myself, but this is what they have told me.

Based on the issues they have had, most of the Officers hate the 509s. When you combine that with the fact that FN has a tendency to just up and discontinue pistols at times and to discontinue supporting any of them that have been sold, I'd be very leery about buying any FN pistol. Several years ago, I really wanted an FNP. By the time I had the spare cash, FN had discontinued and stopped supporting them. Discontinued I have no issue with, but if there are no parts or factory support, that's a hard stop for me, for something that I may use for duty or off duty use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Politics aside, the base models are a bargain and have great triggers.

As far as their higher-priced models, I don't know because I don't know what a pistol with similar features goes for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
He’s from KY, he couldn’t point to Turkey on a map probably.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
they don't understand metallurgy.

if buying a clone with the intent of replacing parts from original parts kits I could see this.

Watch "forged in fire" pay attention to jay neilsen when he speaks, you learn a lot about stress fractures in different stocks and treatments.

there is a difference in steel stock used in Turkey vs Chech Republic, Portugal, America
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
^ this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
People should read the posts from Henderson Defense. If you haven't heard of them, they're the biggest public shooting range in the world and they go through millions of rounds per year.

Round for round their Caniks are outlasting their Glocks by wide margins. I wouldn't buy either gun, but I would trust a Canik to hold up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You mean to tell us these Turkish haters who most likely never owned a Turkish handgun dont have a clue as to what they are saying?

Who would have thought.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You mean to tell us these Turkish haters who most likely never owned a Turkish handgun dont have a clue as to what they are saying?

Who would have thought.
View Quote
Exactly ^^^

Canik is top notch stuff based exclusively on the Walther trigger patent.  Unreal trigger.  MRgunsNgear loves them and Tactical Response uses them as their loaner guns and has tens of thousands of rounds through their guns without issue.  Mags are Mec-Gar too.  What else do you want?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly ^^^

Canik is top notch stuff based exclusively on the Walther trigger patent.  Unreal trigger.  MRgunsNgear loves them and Tactical Response uses them as their loaner guns and has tens of thousands of rounds through their guns without issue.  Mags are Mec-Gar too.  What else do you want?
View Quote
I owned Canik's and Sarsilmaz, and I rather give my money to Walther any day of the week.

The quality of the Turkish guns is good, but it's not even close to German guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought an FN509T a while back because I wanted a gun that was suppressor ready and RMR ready.

It has been very reliable so far but the trigger sucked big time.

I bought and installed an Apex trigger that made a huge improvement but that adds another $150.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I owned Canik's and Sarsilmaz, and I rather give my money to Walther any day of the week.

The quality of the Turkish guns is good, but it's not even close to German guns.
View Quote
I have both, couldn't disagree more.  Not sure what you are seeing as better on the Walther.  Build quality appears identical.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]
triple tap...sorry
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have both, couldn't disagree more.  Not sure what you are seeing as better on the Walther.  Build quality appears identical.
View Quote
For one they steal designs other companies invested millions of dollars in R&D. Most of the popular designs are clones of CZ, Walther, HK, and S&W.

Secondly, German gun companies don't support Terrorists or countries hostile to US.

So, yeah.. German guns -----------> Turkish by a mile.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For one they steal designs other companies invested millions of dollars in R&D. Most of the popular designs are clones of CZ, Walther, HK, and S&W.

Secondly, German gun companies don't support Terrorists or countries hostile to US.

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Walther-Q4-Steel-600x338.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Walther-Q4-Steel-600x338.jpg
Exactly.

They should at least have the decency to price their guns like the third world knock offs that they are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you guys PLEASE keep your mouth shut about the Canik pistols!
You'll drive up the prices.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would you guys PLEASE keep your mouth shut about the Canik pistols!
You'll drive up the prices.

View Quote
Drive what prices up? Seems both Pistols can had for around $650 that's Glock 19MOS money. The 509Tactical has 3 mags (2@24rd) Tritium NS, and currently has a free weapon light promotion.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I have carried glocks since the earky 90s and have easily shot 100k rounds through various glocks since then.

I have a canik elite combat executive a client wanted. I am amazed by the trigger and how well built the gun is.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have carried glocks since the earky 90s and have easily shot 100k rounds through various glocks since then.

I have a canik elite combat executive a client wanted. I am amazed by the trigger and how well built the gun is.
View Quote
No way! What do Turks know about guns. Then there’s their inferior metal cuz they don’t know metallurgy either. Did it start melting in your hand from the warmth?

Sarcasm. I’m sorry I can’t help myself.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The trigger on every stock 509 I've tried has been complete trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top