Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2021 10:27:15 PM EDT
So my FIL recently passed 2 months ago.  Wife and I went to his house to clean it up and get things ready to sell.  We came across this older handgun he had.  From what I have found, I beleive its a bursa thunder in 380.  I know its pretty old because I remember cleaning it for him over the years.  He is what I'd have considered a cowboy. Loved riding his horses and lived out in the country.  He usually had this gun in his boot whenever he went out.  Cleaning it was always "fun" because it always had dirt, mud, hay, ect all in it.  How it even fired idk.  Anywho, would anyone know a good starting point, or point me in the right direction, so I can clean it up.  I doubt we will shoot it much since we don't have anything in 380 but it was her dads and I'd like to do it.  The pics are how I took it home.  It will clean up some but will need reblued.  Biggest thing is the magazine is missing.  If I remember correctly, it had a 7 round mag.  

Edit: of course after I post this and go to Google, I find alot of stuff on the bersa thunder.  I guess my question is, is this actually what it is or is it something else.  I know ill need new springs for this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a standard Bersa .380 pistol.  Nothing special.  Try Numrich gun parts.  They might have mags for it.  Clean it, lube it, shoot it.  It isn't worth much if you are trying to sell it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a standard Bersa .380 pistol.  Nothing special.  Try Numrich gun parts.  They might have mags for it.  Clean it, lube it, shoot it.  It isn't worth much if you are trying to sell it.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll start there.  And no, not looking to sell it.  If anything it will sit in our safe for the next 40+ years.  I just remember the last time I cleaned it, a few years ago, alot of the springs were very worn and causing issues.  Cleaning it helped but was more of a bandaid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If Numrich doesn't have springs fo it, Wollf probably will.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome.  Thanks, I'll head that way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
You could send it out to be coated.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a few parts I need to replace but it seems some springs will be alittle more difficult to find.  But its a start.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You could send it out to be coated.
View Quote

I probably will.   At some point I'll have the gun all the way stripped, so its a good time to do it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Mec-Gar makes magazines for your pistol.  Just remove the slide and clean the bore.  Don't worry about the bluing as it will wear some more when you start to carry it and you will.  I don't like DA/SA guns particularly but the Bersa is a good bit of equipment, just right for the front pocket.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to have a Thunder .380. Yours looks a little different than I remember mine looking. Something about that lever on the side seems unfamiliar.

I’d suspect it’s a pre-Thunder model. But that’s just a guess.

They aren’t expensive guns, but they’re solid shooters for what they are. Definitely more of a utilitarian gun than a safe queen. It’s the Taurus PT92 of PPK copies. Solid copy of average, adequate quality.

You actually might get a decent price on gunbroker these days. But it’s a $200-$250 used gun most other times.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I used to have a Thunder .380. Yours looks a little different than I remember mine looking. Something about that lever on the side seems unfamiliar.

They aren’t expensive guns, but they’re solid shooters for what they are. Definitely more of a utilitarian gun than a safe queen. It’s the Taurus PT92 of PPK copies. Solid copy of average, adequate quality.

You actually might get a decent price on gunbroker these days. But it’s a $200-$250 used gun most other times.
View Quote

If I remember correctly, I think it's called the 381 or something like that. I did some research on them a long time ago when looking for a little 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I've gathered, its a bersa 380 383A. Serial # 217xxx.  

Here is a pic of it apart.  Pretty simple imo.  Only "fun" part is see is getting the little ass springs back in the slide for the firing pin.  The rest is pretty self explanatory.   Speaking of springs, I seemed to locate most new replacement ones.  I think there is just 1 other I cant find.  Just like the rear sight... i can find the "blade" but the adjustment screw and spring is impossible to find and i may have to just buy a complete used slide ($40) .  

There is a local place that does regular blk nitride coating, which I may do.  I asked about doing a polished TiN coating and as much as we both laughed at the idea, its also totally something her dad would have if he could have.  So we r debating on that.  Also will depend on cost.  If its something like a $50 difference, then we may. But past that, we will stick with black.  

The barrel isn't out yet because I've just been tinkering with it at the kitchen table.  From the looks of it, im going to need to use a hammer and vise to get that pin out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found a few videos online of bersa thunder and its 99% the same. The only difference is in the slide.  There is this U shipped part, almost like a backing plate, that when u push down on it the firing pin/spring can be taken out.  On the thunder there is some circle part u just push down on.  

Right now this gun reminds me alot of my wifes walther ccp... just hammer fired.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Would this be the correct mag for it?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896193245
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a bersa forum that will be able to identify it in short order.  Even has a member that did bersa warranty work last i remember.  I think you're on the right track though on it being pre-thunder.  I don't think anything substantial was actually changed other than the name.  7 rds was standard mag capacity.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a "Thunder", and didn't see any Bersa springs on Gunspings.com ( Wollf)

I called to ask if they had any Bersa springs?

His reply was that we don't make springs for cheap guns.

It worked fine for me, but I sold it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Well after some searching I found all the parts I need except the rear sight blade.  So they have been ordered and im gonna call it a night and maybe tomorrow try to find a blade rear sight.  The wife was pretty set on polished TiN (maybe i shouldnt even had mentioned it) but nothing local in Phoenix does it..  i did find black nitride place and have emailed them. She did ask about cerekote so we will see what she wants to do.

Again, im treating this handgun as a fun little project since reloading stuff is so high and I haven't shot in 6 months. We may shoot it after it's all said and done, but after that it will prob sit in the safe for a long time.  She has her ccp and I have my p30sk for our normal carry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
That Bersa forum has a lot of info
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That Bersa forum has a lot of info
View Quote

Just signed up, still waiting for the confirmation email.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Ceracoting might be the best option.  Do the whole thing in any color you want.  The frame is anodized aluminum. So the common steel treatments arent possible.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are neat little .380s that are underrated.  Yours came by it's wear honestly, I would be tempted to keep it that way and continue to carry it, once you get it back together and verify that it works.  If you really must refinish it, a cold blue pen would probably work fine.

Standard Bersa Thunder mags and holsters ought to fit it just fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad you found some parts that you needed, OP. I wouldn't bother with taking the bbl off unless you really have to. i don't think hammering a punch would be good for it, since I think that those pins are probably press fit. But I don't know, it might work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#23]
There is no need to remove the barrel. Leave it in and refinish it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s a early production pistol I’d say from the 80’s maybe 70’s.   The blow back action and fixed barrel are similar in design to the Walther PP.   The biggest difference your Bersa had a external slide release.

If it were mine I’d just clean it up.  You could help the finish of the slide with cold blue.  Any rust could be removed by lightly rubbing a copper penny with oil on the rusty areas.  Some Bersas have steel frames and some had aluminum alloy.  If a magnet sticks to the frame it is steel.  If it is alloy you can use touch up anodizing to darken any worn areas.

I clean the metal surface with rubbing alcohol prior to using cold blue or anodizing.  I use a hair drier to warm the steel prior to adding blueing.  Just follow the directions on the bottle for blueing or anodizing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I got this email back from Bersa.

Your firearm -serial number 217xxc -was manufactured circa February 1992. There are little to no parts for those models anymore, and there are no magazines available through us or the factory anymore.

The gun is a predecessor to the Thunder 380, so it has a steel frame (the Thunder has aluminum alloy). You might be able to find parts through Numrich or Jack First Gun Parts.

View Quote

Thankfully I found those parts.  As some of you have said, I may hold off on taking the barrel out,im not sure yet.  I've found a few old posts saying it was either real simple or a huge pain.  I may give it a try and if it looks to be not worth the hassle, ill leave it in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Properly removing the barrel, if it's anything like the Walther PP series, will require a barrel press.
There is always the danger of cracking the frame if you attempt this.  This is an operation best left to a qualified gun smith.

DO NOT USE A HAMMER!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I havent heard back from eagle about the barrel but the more I look at it, it looks like the feed ramp from the frame blends into the ramp on the barrel.  So ill just leave it as is and clean it up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From what I've gathered, its a bersa 380 383A. Serial # 217xxx.  

Here is a pic of it apart.  Pretty simple imo.  Only "fun" part is see is getting the little ass springs back in the slide for the firing pin.  The rest is pretty self explanatory.   Speaking of springs, I seemed to locate most new replacement ones.  I think there is just 1 other I cant find.  Just like the rear sight... i can find the "blade" but the adjustment screw and spring is impossible to find and i may have to just buy a complete used slide ($40) .  

There is a local place that does regular blk nitride coating, which I may do.  I asked about doing a polished TiN coating and as much as we both laughed at the idea, its also totally something her dad would have if he could have.  So we r debating on that.  Also will depend on cost.  If its something like a $50 difference, then we may. But past that, we will stick with black.  

https://i.imgur.com/otwJAmf.jpg

The barrel isn't out yet because I've just been tinkering with it at the kitchen table.  From the looks of it, im going to need to use a hammer and vise to get that pin out.
View Quote

Why . .. . . would you do that ?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why . .. . . would you do that ?  
View Quote

Haha, cause it would have been totally something he would have done.  But, we ain't.  I'm pretty sure in the end it will be nitrided but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My vote is definitely nitride it
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Properly removing the barrel, if it's anything like the Walther PP series, will require a barrel press.
There is always the danger of cracking the frame if you attempt this.  This is an operation best left to a qualified gun smith.

DO NOT USE A HAMMER!
View Quote

This.  There is no reason to remove the barrel unless you are replacing it for some reason.  Bersa's website sells parts for the gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well after some searching I found all the parts I need except the rear sight blade.  So they have been ordered and im gonna call it a night and maybe tomorrow try to find a blade rear sight.  The wife was pretty set on polished TiN (maybe i shouldnt even had mentioned it) but nothing local in Phoenix does it..  i did find black nitride place and have emailed them. She did ask about cerekote so we will see what she wants to do.

Again, im treating this handgun as a fun little project since reloading stuff is so high and I haven't shot in 6 months. We may shoot it after it's all said and done, but after that it will prob sit in the safe for a long time.  She has her ccp and I have my p30sk for our normal carry.
View Quote

@azmp5
I have a complete rear sight assembly, if ya want it’s yours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@azmp5
I have a complete rear sight assembly, if ya want it’s yours.
View Quote

PM sent!  Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.  There is no reason to remove the barrel unless you are replacing it for some reason.  Bersa's website sells parts for the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO NOT USE A HAMMER!

Incase anyone who doesn't know(including myself) i got a response  and they did say it has to be pressed in and to NOT use a hammer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

PM sent!  Thank you so much!
View Quote

Check Bersa's website as well, they sell a lot of parts for the gun.  
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/shop/parts/thunder-firestorm-421/matte-black-parts?limit=all
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
** small update **

Got a few parts (springs) in.  Waiting on a few more small parts to come in.  Also thanks to Jarheads offer, ill have a rear sight too .  Once these parts come in, im hoping to know what coating she wants to go with.  So far she's leaning cerakote but not picked any color(s).
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Check Bersa's website as well, they sell a lot of parts for the gun.  
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/shop/parts/thunder-firestorm-421/matte-black-parts?limit=all
View Quote

I ordered some parts from there.  Most I have are in good condition but most I was looking for they were out of stock.  Thankfully I found another site that had what I need minus the rear sight stuff.  But again, thanks to Jarhead, all the parts I need are now coming in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I ordered some parts from there.  Most I have are in good condition but most I was looking for they were out of stock.  Thankfully I found another site that had what I need minus the rear sight stuff.  But again, thanks to Jarhead, all the parts I need are now coming in.
View Quote

@azmp5

Here’s the sight assembly
Message your shipping info and I’ll get it out tomorrow

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
This is one of those things where a gun owner chooses to fix up a old hurting gun because of emotional connection.

Just don't hold out any hope of getting some monetary value by doing work on it.

My advise would be to get it running with springs and such and try to get the thing looking a bit better with cold blue and such.

Keep in mind the original owner used it as a working gun and treat it as such.

In my experience most coating type finishes tend to change the dimensions and cause issues with fit and operation.

I think of the Bersas as mid grade yet useable guns that many folks enjoyed useing , whatever route you choose I hope you and your wife enjoy it and remember your FIL every time you use it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#40]
@jarhear13 PM sent with info.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is one of those things where a gun owner chooses to fix up a old hurting gun because of emotional connection.

Just don't hold out any hope of getting some monetary value by doing work on it.

My advise would be to get it running with springs and such and try to get the thing looking a bit better with cold blue and such.

In my experience most coating type finishes tend to change the dimensions and cause issues with fit and operation.

I think of the Bersas as mid grade yet useable guns that many folks enjoyed useing , whatever route you choose I hope you and your wife enjoy it and remember your FIL every time you use it.
View Quote

Oh, I 100% agree.  The money I'm putting into it to make it look "good as new" is prob close to the cost of a new one.  But its for my wife cause it's was her fathers.  I'm not trying to make it some high speed grease lightning gun that it ain't.  It was either in his boots or bouncing around in his truck(s) over all the years.  Only thing i've done is clean up some of the casting flash on the frame and give it a good cleaning.  After that and when its done, i can prob buy 1 box of .380 and it will last the rest of our lives.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I would clean, oil and buy a mag for it.

Don't refinish it, the wear tell a story about your FIL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Wipe it down clean it up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nitriding won’t change the dimensions at all.  None:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AabpDN0Deo8#

[youtube]AabpDN0Deo8#[/youtube]

OP - you are a good man for doing this.    

Black nitride will return the gun to something close to what your wife may remember from when her father first bought it (probably around 1992).  Hope it turns into a cherished family heirloom.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree. Im pushing the nitride as it will look alittle more "original".  But I've had a few of her guns cerekoted and she likes the bigger range of colors.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have gone things similar to what OP is doing with family guns.  I will jeep these hubs until I die, so monetary compensation for sale is of zero concern.  My goal was to have them brought back to a condition where I could shoot them and enjoy them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh, I 100% agree.  The money I'm putting into it to make it look "good as new" is prob close to the cost of a new one.  But its for my wife cause it's was her fathers.  I'm not trying to make it some high speed grease lightning gun that it ain't.  It was either in his boots or bouncing around in his truck(s) over all the years.  Only thing i've done is clean up some of the casting flash on the frame and give it a good cleaning.  After that and when its done, i can prob buy 1 box of .380 and it will last the rest of our lives.
View Quote

@azmp5 I think it’s a fine plan.  I’d be interested in seeing in process and finished pics!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Wife finally decided on black nitride. There is a local place that does it.  Do I need to "clean up" anything or polish any parts beforehand?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]
In case anyone was following and wanted an update... unfortunately nothing has changed yet.  the monday I was going to take it down to get coated, my truck decided to lose a rear caliper bracket bolt, causing part of the brake caliper to rotated inward towards the inside of the wheel, and locking it up solid.  I got it fixed but that pretty much killed my mon and tues, then my work week started and then mandatory OT happened. I am hoping to take it down this coming up monday, so we ill see.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would clean, oil and buy a mag for it.

Don't refinish it, the wear tell a story about your FIL.
View Quote

Yeah, this.

That gun shows every bit of honest wear. It was a working gun, through and through.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top