2. Shot timer - can't improve what you don't measure

What would you add?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
First aid kit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Granola bars.

Small screwdriver kit for sight adjustment on adjustable sight guns.  
A small bit of oil in a little bottle like the clp bottles of my day.  
A rod and some patches

My own push pins for hanging targets ans some office folder clips for the same on hanging cardboard backers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
My range bag contents:

Otis cleaning kit
Small can of CLP
AR front sight tool
Extra eye protection
Extra ear protection
Stapler
Extra staples
Thumbtacks
Sharpie
Targets  
First aid kit (old 90's issued military IFAK)
Granola bars (Yes, I do keep a couple in the bag)
Empty chamber indicators (flags)
Snap caps
five wet wipes
two pair of latex examination gloves (easier to put on a pair of gloves to tear down a fouled AR bolt carrier croup than get the grease/oil off my hands at the range)
five paper towels
Can of mosquito repellent
Extra CR2032 batteries

If I am shooting long range then I also have:
Range finder
Log book

I always carry a multi-tool with bit set so I don't keep tools in the bag unless I am setting up something that is pretty specific.  

A few of the items I don't carry for me.   Example:   Just about any weapon that I have that uses CR2032 batteries has an extra battery on the weapon.   But I often shoot with people that don't plan ahead like I do.   So having extra Eyes, Ears, Batteries, etc can make the range day more enjoyable.   It makes my bag heavier but I can deal with that.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Couple of shop rags or hand towels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
in addition to a pretty good trauma kit, at age 72 my skin has gotten to the papery consistency, and I have more and more need for large square band aids for skin tears around stage props.. I use a gun cart so space is not really a problem... always have a six pack of water to rinse off the area, but now extra paper towels to dry, and larger pad band aids ....

the cart has a soft sided cooler, umbrella, folding tall stool, and a Ridgid contractor fan for some breeze
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
A length of a cleaning rod in case there's a squib.

Random hex keys.

Batteries for optics.

Lenscloth.

There's a lot more, but the ones I listed aren't necessarily as obvious.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Minimun two combat trauma packs, a tourniquet, and an assortment of ladies tampons.  They absorb blood and swell up in extry/exit wounds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Minimun two combat trauma packs, a tourniquet, and an assortment of ladies tampons.  They absorb blood and swell up in extry/exit wounds.
View Quote

Have you ever actually seen how much tampons “swell” ?  You’re much better off with gauze that you can actually pack a wound with.. if you want to go high tech, the Celox Applicator or X Stat were designed specifically for that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Been to a couple week long pistol classes (800+ rds a day) that torn my fingers up from reloading mags and just blisters. This stuff I got at Walmart was amazing. Works well with sweaty fingers too.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on the bag - but I have:

1. Electronic ear muffs x3 (two sons)
2. Bag of foamies
3. Oil/CLP drops
4. RemOil wipes
5. Staple gun
6. Staples
7. Multi-tool (actually, sometimes 2 because I have one specific for shotguns)
8. Magazines - lots of magazines
9. 3x5 and 4x6 index cards
10. 7 inch paper plates
11. MagLuLa
12. Safety glasses for kids
13. Ammo - if it isn't in a separate ammo can

No shot timer - I use the turning targets at the ranges I shoot at. But I should fix that.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First aid kit.
View Quote

This and tape or a staple gun
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep one of every handgun mag I own in my range bag. I’ve been to the range several times with a gun and no mag.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Extra ear pro
Safety glasses
CAT tourniquet
Combat Gauze
Medical shears
Duct tape
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, Sharpie and A2 front sight tool
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a good day when I forget these:

UPLULA
Stapler and several packs of staples

It's nice to have these:

Timer
1" stick-on target dots
Index cards
Grip powder  
Brass picker

I always keep a stack of used USPSA targets in the back of the car along with a big box of earplugs and several pairs of earmuffs, and competition belts for Limited and Production rigs.

Also, there is a range bag with squib rod, and plastic case with a variety of tools like hammer, punches, files, Loctite, hex & Torx wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.   Usually my rangefinder and chrono stay in there too, they don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Uplula mag loader. Unsure how people don’t have one of these.

Shot timer.

Multi tool.

Various tools to fix things
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Small hammer and a dowel to pound out a squib.
Extra fiber optic rods and an old Bic lighter to melt the ends.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Extra set of eye and ear pro
Maglula
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a bag of stuff, but I want to add a Washington Gun Works sight pusher, at 40 bucks it's too cheap not to have one. Also a Real Avid Glock 2 in 1 tool, it's a nicely knurled front sight nut( magnetic, thank you) driver, unscrew the back and there's your proprietary pin pusher.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]
2 bags

range bag and trunk bag

range bag is a basics kit, ammo eyes ear oil  squib rod kleanbore handle cleaning kit, la police gear 25 bucks, BAILOUTBAG.

trunk bag has spare parts bras drifts extra parts  basically every part less the frame slide and barrel for a 2011/1911. shooters connection range bag 100 bucks, PRO-II.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Grocery bag to collect brass
Water bottles for more water and your buddy who did not bring water when it is 100F outside
Spare eye and ear protection
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I offer up that some of you ought to really invest in a basic first aid class.  And, then practice what is taught.  Remember people do not rise to the occasion, they default to their level training.
So just cause you have the equipment does not make you able to use it.  God gave you a brain.  Go feed it some good solid information and train.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#23]
1.ammo & mags
2. Targets and stuff to hang them
3. First aid
4. Eye pro earpeo
5. Cleaning kit.

Bare minimum
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Boo Boo Kit
Trauma Kit
Cleaning Kit
Spare Batteries
Towel for Cleaning
Towel for You
Drip Drop Packets
Water Bottle
Notepad
Pen
Sharpies
Paint Pens
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive
Stapler
Extra Staples
Rain Gear

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
My gun range is in my backyard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I keep one of every handgun mag I own in my range bag. I’ve been to the range several times with a gun and no mag.
View Quote

That's great... my buddy did that the other day. Show up excited about a new pistol without a mag!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#28]
My car is actually a self-propelled range bag.   Every once in a while I have to reconfigure it for cargo or passenger duty, but for the most part there is a lot of shooting crap in it at any given time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:06:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My gun range is in my backyard.
View Quote

Good for you.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:16:15 AM EDT
[#30]
1.  First aid kit w/ tourniquet (I always shoot with my sister who's an RN and I'm a former FF/EMT so we have a fair bit of training between us.  We've been planning to build a full blown rescue bag with all the goodies that will go with us to the range.  I'd like to build three of them (one for in the house and one for each car but it's too expensive at the moment so one will have to do).  Every time I'm at the range I can't help but think about all the different kinds of injuries that I've dealt with in the past that could happen on a gun range and how most first aid kits are woefully under equipped for.  Having "been there, done that" gives you a whole different perspective on medical emergencies.

2.  Multiple multiple from Leatherman to AR and pistol specific models.

3.  Various small tools common to my guns. (Allen wrenches for adjusting laser sights, lens brush for optics, small crescent wrench etc.)

4.   Shooting gloves (Mechanix Mpact Covert - great for heavy recoiling revolvers)

5.   Small towel with clip on it.

6.  Eye pro x 2

7.  Ear pro x 3 (electronic muffs + extra set + squishies + Walker Razor XV as soon as it arrives)

8.  Folding knives x 2

9.  Duct tape

10.  Staples

11.  Staple gun

12.  Paper targets

13.  Most Mags for my my guns live in a dedicated mag bag and I put whatever mags I'll need into range bag before leaving.

14.  Gun oil (never even thought about it until my sister went to sight in her new rifle and prior to forgot to oil it after cleaning so it wouldn't run.  No oil in sight so I kept pulling out the cars dipstick and squeegee'd it until we got enough to lube the rifle.  It took a little time and made a little mess but it worked and she went from super mad at herself to happy which was a plus.  Especially since I had recently given her that rifle and I wanted her to enjoy it the first time out).

15.  A sharpie marker

16.  A spare lightweight bipod

17. Ball cap

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Might be some more stuff in there I can't remember right now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Besides the stuff other people posted.
My pistol range bag has a small Chapman screwdriver set, pack of Allen wrenches.

My Rifle range box, has a Leatherman MUTT with a bit set.

I can't tell you how many range sessions having these saved or how many people they helped out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Where is the love for the Squib rod?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#33]
What is everyone using for a range bag? I have some cheap one from Amazon a few years ago and half the time the zippers wont zip. Need something with more compartmentalized storage.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What is everyone using for a range bag? I have some cheap one from Amazon a few years ago and half the time the zippers wont zip. Need something with more compartmentalized storage.
View Quote
I've abandoned bags for the most part.  Switched to a Ridgid Pro Tool Box set from Home Depot.  Roller carriers the heavy stuff (ammo, mags, guns) or big stuff.  Middle medium box holds tools/cleaning gear and PPE.  Crate on top for the overflow with a tear away IFAK attached to the front.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've abandoned bags for the most part.  Switched to a Ridgid Pro Tool Box set from Home Depot.  Roller carriers the heavy stuff (ammo, mags, guns) or big stuff.  Middle medium box holds tools/cleaning gear and PPE.  Crate on top for the overflow with a tear away IFAK attached to the front.
View Quote

@K1rodeoboater

Sounds like a good setup, anyway you can post or send me some pictures? Definitely sounds like the way to go instead of having to carry everything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@K1rodeoboater

Sounds like a good setup, anyway you can post or send me some pictures? Definitely sounds like the way to go instead of having to carry everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@K1rodeoboater

+1

I got the Black Friday sale where they did the 3pc kit for $99. Somehow they messed up the discount code and the total was $78. Wish I wouldve gotten 2 kits now, never even thought about using it for range/gun use
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
in addition to a pretty good trauma kit, at age 72 my skin has gotten to the papery consistency, and I have more and more need for large square band aids for skin tears around stage props.. I use a gun cart so space is not really a problem... always have a six pack of water to rinse off the area, but now extra paper towels to dry, and larger pad band aids ....

the cart has a soft sided cooler, umbrella, folding tall stool, and a Ridgid contractor fan for some breeze
View Quote

Plus 1,000,000 on the larger Band Aid Pads lol. I bruise/bleed when I look at the sky nowdays.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

I’m always amazed at the people who eat/drink/smoke while shooting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#39]
My son is a Pro PRS shooter and in the twilight of my life I took up the sport. Absolute gas. That type competition has has unique needs well beyond just "going to the range". My competition "pack" has everything I need and in addition I have a nice aluminum style case with all the barrel life technology (cleaning stuff) I need. It , along with a full blown trauma kit, go with me everywhere. In my truck tool box is my spotting scope and tripod along with Boretech rods for all my weapons. I have found a couple of things that I was missing with one being a magazine tuning tool and another a full kit of "Fix It Sticks" which now go with me as well.

BTW my local range is closed because WE are buying the land from the owner. It takes a few weeks to get it done and the owner requested that we shut down for the time being. I can shoot anywhere on my property but we try NOT to shoot in June/July because of all the new fawns and Mamas that come through the yard. Soooo I'm dead meat on shooting for a while. TOO HOT ANYWAY.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

My newest bag is an Exos.  Inexpensive but very good quality.  Surprisingly good for the money.  They have colors to appeal to both male and female shooters.  I'm sure there are better bags but, for the money, I've been really impressed so far.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Ear pro.Roll of frog ( painters) tape ( cover old holes in target). Extra safety glasses. Electricians tape.
Extra batteries. Sharpies. Small staple gun. Knee and elbow pads . Flashlight. Leather man mutt. Otis tactical cleaning / tool kit . IFAC + first aid kit. Can of neon orange spray paint. ( repaint steel )

I shoot at home .

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#42]
IFAK
Cleaning kit with rods.
Multi tool
Hex key set
Staples/tacks/stapler
Electrical tape
Batteries AA
Extra safety glasses
Extra earplugs
10-1 screwdriver
Sharpie
Masking tape
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@K1rodeoboater

View Quote
It's been repurposed for holding house painting supplies at the moment unfortunately.

The small case is sort of the odd one out for me. I don't find it all that useful for shooting personally. You could go nuts and get some foam and custom cut it for your guns/mags if you want. I've got a few cases like that, and frankly they're more of an ass pain than they're worth. I'd sooner spend the money on cheap gun rugs and toss them into a foamless case. I've got a lot of pelican cases and I hate all of them for general use transport. Flying they're the best, but beyond that they rarely get used.

Quoted:

+1

I got the Black Friday sale where they did the 3pc kit for $99. Somehow they messed up the discount code and the total was $78. Wish I wouldve gotten 2 kits now, never even thought about using it for range/gun use
View Quote
They'll be back on sale in a month or two. They regularly put the 3pc kit on sale for $99. Wish I had grabbed another as well but I'm in no rush.  

The crates are $20 on sale or $30 regular priced.  I'm planning on buying more of the crates for garage storage and to put our vehicle supplies in. They're a good shape and size compared to milk crates.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top