Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 3:51:10 PM EDT
Hey yall. I recently became intrigued about the XD line of handguns, due in part to me getting a Springfield Hellcat. I have never shot nor owned any XD before, but have handled them here and there. I took a look at Springfield's line up of XDM elite handguns and just love the overall looks vs the older models; they appear to be well designed and thought out handguns (my only complaint being the elite does not come with night sights). I have owned Glocks and M&Ps over the years, and settled with M&Ps. I also own a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec, which I have been extremely pleased with. XDs seem to be the red-headed step child of the handgun world, but still appear to have a large following. The two models of the XDM elite that most interest me is the full size and the 3.8" (leaning more towards the shorter) barrel version. I have very little knowledge of the XD system, but have been educating myself on them. Would it be foolhardy to switch to and XDM elite over an M&P 2.0 full size? Any input as to the general consensus on the XD line of handguns would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you rent one or get your hands on them?

I love all my Springfields. A lot of haters here but I can't fault the guns. They run and run well.

I have 3 XDMs, but none of them are Elites as I had mine before they came out.

I have the 3.8 Compact in 9mm, the 5.25" in 9mm, and the 5.3" 10mm (marketed as 5" but has threaded barrel).

Love them...they are my favorite pistols.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
You still need to install a Powder River Precision trigger to make it "perfect" though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My XDM Elite 4.5" threaded barrel + Suppressor Sight 9mm is a tack driver

It comes with Springfields enhanced match trigger which is great out of the box.

Mine is a slightly older version (before the optics plate) but love shooting it as accurate pistols blow peoples minds when you are ringing the spinners back to back to back to back from 50 back.

It has really grown on me.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You still need to install a Powder River Precision trigger to make it "perfect" though.
View Quote

I think the stock trigger is fine (in fact it is the best stock trigger in the XD/XDM family IMHO) for me, but it depends on the use case and personal preference.

Pros:
-Great Stock Trigger
-Reliable
-Accurate
-Easy to Use
-A lot of Holsters and Aftermarket Accessories
-Offered in 9mm and 10mm
-Good Capacity (up to 22 rnds)
-Never have an issue with the original grip safety, but the Elite grip safety is definitely easier to compress.
-OSP is offered in FDE!
-Fully ambidextrous!

Cons:
-19 rnd magazines require an inordinate amount of force to insert during a tactical reload.
-XD Mod. 2 and XDs Mod. 2 Grip zone and Hellcat grip textures are better IMO.
-The Compact OSP does not allow for BUIS/co-witnessing with an optic installed using the factory height sights.
-Not every XDM holster is compatible with the ambi-slide stop which make accessory shopping more difficult and may result in a few returns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my XD line of pistols. Super reliable, eats any ammo and accurate. Don't have any of the Elite series as I've had these for quite awhile and there is no need for me to pick up another one of the same so to speak. Two of these have PRP Ultimate triggers in them and I have some other PRP goodies I just haven't put in the rest of them yet. I CC these routinely whether it's the full size 9's or the Service 45 as well as the SC and Compact. Ignore the usual responses regarding performance and reliability of these. I was routinely shooting 500 round range days every weekend for months on end with no issues. Nothing has broken on any of my pistols. Also plenty of spare parts to be had, just not the crazy aftermarket selection you get with Glocks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a XD, an XDM, an XDS and a Hellcat. Between the 4, never had a jam or malfunction. Ever. The XD is getting pretty old, and the XDM pre-dates the Mod 2's.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't have the elite, do have an XDM 3.8 9MM.  It is more accurate than the 5.3 competition 9MM I bought first.

My wife confiscated it the first time she shot it (she likes a good shooting handgun).

if I was looking at an XD/XDM pistol it would be the 3.8".

I buy the longer barreled guns (like the long slide look) but I never carry them concealed.  It's always the smaller ones that get carried.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is my take and my one sentence line:

The XDM Elite OSP is, in my opinion, the most complete 9mm fighting gun offered.

I have tried literally every single striker fired gun out there...the XDM Elite OSP offers everything I need in a 9mm fighting pistol.

Excellent capacity, fit and finish and the new enhanced trigger is great. In my opinion, it has one of the best red dot plate designs from an OEM. it has zero wiggle and the RMR plate...its lugs...fit really snug to my Holosun...it isn't going anywhere.

Some reviewers state there is a false reset...there is only when you gently hand cycle the gun with your are LARPing...otherwise it has a great, short reset.

So this trigger provides a great trigger feel and press...previously...on my modified Glocks/P320s...I always dipped slightly to the left when the trigger broke as a lefty...with the XDM Elite trigger...it has a very smooth action and I stay dead one...when I saw this at my LGS prior to me making the switch...I was sold...the only other gun that did not do that is a 1911...no this isn'ta 1911 trigger but by far the best fitting for me thus far...

To be honest, I got tired of modifying guns and wanted something turn-key from factory. The guts of the XDM (or really all XDs) is overbuilt...the extractor claw has about twice the surface area that of a typical striker fired gun...

22rd magazines (and other XD mags) are affordable unlike some other offerings...you nearly can buy 2 mags for the price of 1 similar mag from other brands.

Overall fit and finish is just a step above a Glock and on par with HK/Walther. I like seeing proper frame rails vs bent metal...

These XDM Elite OSPs can be found for less than a regular factory Glock...which doesn't come near to this in my opinion. Outside of mounting an optic and light...I see zero needs for modification...

Yes...I have turned into a XDm Elite fan boy...once you try it...I don't think you'll care to try something else...
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, thought this thread was still a sleeper! I have fell completely into the XD/XDM rabbit hole. I can not believe I waited so long to try one of these handguns. At this point, I have owned and carried at one time or another the following:

Glock 19/19X

M&P9 Gen 1, M&P9 2.0 standard and 5"

Sig P320 Carry

The Glocks were Glocks, they worked. The M&Ps all handled better for me and that was also the case for the P320. I ditched my P320 as it would not reliably run steel case ammo. The M&Ps, although nice, still left me wanting more. I then stumbled upon the Hellcat, bought one and LOVED it. I can't say enough nice things about this; the machining and fit/finish is as good or better than anything domestically produced. The Hellcat is my EDC. This got me interested in the XDM line, and I stumbled upon the Elite series.

I then purchased a XDM Elite 3.8 9mm, and again immediately fell in love. The flat trigger is awesome both in feel, reset, and overtravel. It shoots flat and is extremely accurate, not to mention it points naturally for me when I press out to the target from the draw. Both the Hellcat and XDM have been ultra reliable with anything I run through it. Also, I found the sights very easy to change on my XDM with a sight pusher, and the factory notches both the front and rear dovetails, giving you a visible guide to center the sights without having to "eyeball" it.

As a result, I just ordered an XDM Elite 4.5 9mm, as I wanted more of a long slide variant, but decided against the 5.25 model due to the lightening cut on top of the slide (potential ingress point for contaminants. I will do a a full work up range session when it arrives. I am stoked!

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my 9mm Elite. It makes me want to dump my Glocks and replace them with XDM Elites. I wish Springfield would release a 45 model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top