Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/7/2020 3:01:36 PM EDT
Hello,

A while ago when I purchased my first 45 ACP, I did some research and settled on a G21. Budget friendly, positively received, many other pluses.

Recently I expanded my 45 ACP collection, however given that I do not have enough ammo, I will be thinning soon. I have several, but I would like to hear from those of you who are enthusiasts, regarding your opinion on the one, the only 45 ACP that you would keep/get if it came down to it.

Budget is not a concern. Must be production, not customized.

I know it is a very generic question, but I am hoping to see some consensus evolve.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was my daily carry or PDW, I would keep the Glock.  If not, I would keep a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was my daily carry or PDW, I would keep the Glock.  If not, I would keep a 1911.
View Quote

I was thinking that 1911 would most obviously come up. I don’t have any but I am curious to know what the difference between a $500-600 variant and a high end variant is. Collectibility aside.

In short, which 1911 ?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
USP
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Of the 45s I own I'd probably keep the M&P.   Mags are cheap and available.  It came w/ suppressor height sights and a threaded barrel.   Not as "nice" as a 1911, but a lot more functional and it holds more ammo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
USP
View Quote

If the FNX didnt exist, then ya
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If the FNX didnt exist, then ya
View Quote

I have been having this debate for a while now.

USP Tactical or FNX. Would like to hear more people’s thoughts about it.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a G21 G4 and love that gun dearly. It has secured its spot with me as a never sell gun.

The 1911 on the other had I have had and sold. I guess they are ok just haven’t really fell in love with one yet. I’m a utility person in nature and the 1911 just does not check that box with me when considering weight,  round count.

Also OP I wouldn’t thin the heard just due to ammo availability now. It will come back.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of the 45s I own I'd probably keep the M&P.   Mags are cheap and available.  It came w/ suppressor height sights and a threaded barrel.   Not as "nice" as a 1911, but a lot more functional and it holds more ammo.
View Quote

To me that would be in the same category as the G21. Best reasonably priced option, however if I were to remove price from the equation would that still be the case?

I hope we can quantify nice:

1) Softer shooter?
2) Better trigger?
3) Better repeatability?
4) Reliable (very important)?

Etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
G30SF or gen4 to go with that G21.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
1911 and 45acp is a hell of a combo. Yes there are lighter, higher capacity guns but slamming steel with an almost half inch of lead moving at the speed of smell is one of the best shooting experiences you can have. No other trigger touches a good single action. It’s thin and fits the hand. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a G21 G4 and love that gun dearly. It has secured its spot with me as a never sell gun.

The 1911 on the other had I have had and sold. I guess they are ok just haven’t really fell in love with one yet. I’m a utility person in nature and the 1911 just does not check that box with me when considering weight,  round count.

Also OP I wouldn’t thin the heard just due to ammo availability now. It will come back.
View Quote

I have similar concerns about 1911, I guess it boils down to whether or not the FNX, USP Tacticals, or other such platform,  check all the boxes one would want from this caliber.

I agree ammo will come back, it always does. It was however more on the expensive side pre-crisis.

I bought a bunch of 45 pistols after Wally World did an ammo dump and I picked up WWB for $4 a box (don’t even know how much I purchased just asked them for everything at 4 local stores). That stash is now running out (a few thousand rounds every month for a few years) and I doubt it will be replaced at that rate :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
G30SF or gen4 to go with that G21.
View Quote

Interesting, seems like the Glocks get a lot of love around here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1911 and 45acp is a hell of a combo. Yes there are lighter, higher capacity guns but slamming steel with an almost half inch of lead moving at the speed of smell is one of the best shooting experiences you can have. No other trigger touches a good single action. It’s thin and fits the hand. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/DD80ED65-ECCB-42D3-82EE-01ECF7637221_jpe-1719600.JPG
View Quote

You are right, for what it does nothing beats a 1911 from what I have heard. Perhaps I’ll have to get one, just because.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Classic 1911 wins for looks, history, conceal carry. The HK Mk23 wins for durability. For a tactical pistol with suppressor and light then go FNX-45 or HK USP 45. The Glock 21 is a solid duty pistol with just a light. Don't care for it suppressed though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Mark 23.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are right, for what it does nothing beats a 1911 from what I have heard. Perhaps I’ll have to get one, just because.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911 and 45acp is a hell of a combo. Yes there are lighter, higher capacity guns but slamming steel with an almost half inch of lead moving at the speed of smell is one of the best shooting experiences you can have. No other trigger touches a good single action. It’s thin and fits the hand. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/DD80ED65-ECCB-42D3-82EE-01ECF7637221_jpe-1719600.JPG

IMHO if you're only going to have ONE, get a good one! Go as high end as your budget allows.
I'm not saying other guns can't work or aren't good or aren't fun - BUT, if you were only going to have ONE, get a good one.
I'd look at a semi custom gun in a flavor of your liking.
Or you could also get a "Good" one, and get it massaged by a good smith.

I'd want it to be a 5in, series 70 gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Either my HK45 or USP 45C. They're just the epitome of combat handguns to me. Thee post apocalyptic side arm.

There's designs that are made for the user to easily replace low cost parts and then there's designs that are made so the user will never in his lifetime have to replace parts. Just depends on how that intent suits your needs.

Plus I just love the operational and design history of the USP, HK45 (and MK23 but don't own one YET).
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To me that would be in the same category as the G21. Best reasonably priced option, however if I were to remove price from the equation would that still be the case?

1) Softer shooter?
2) Better trigger?
3) Better repeatability?

Etc. etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Softer shooter?
2) Better trigger?
3) Better repeatability?

Etc. etc.

Nice for me on a 1911 would be the complete ergonomics package.    I grew up shooting one.  My dad had a Combat Commander for a long time when I was growing up.  I shot up a lot of oil cans (back when they were cardboard w/ metal tops and bottoms and you used a spout) around when we went out shooting.    They feel good.   The trigger is great.   They're accurate.    On the other hand they're relatively heavy and low capacity by modern standards.     I've got a couple of them.  I've also got a 22 caliber 1911.    They're range and safe queens now having been replaced for carry by the dark side polymer invasion in the gun safe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have similar concerns about 1911, I guess it boils down to whether or not the FNX, USP Tacticals, or other such platform,  check all the boxes one would want from this caliber.

I agree ammo will come back, it always does. It was however more on the expensive side pre-crisis.

I bought a bunch of 45 pistols after Wally World did an ammo dump and I picked up WWB for $4 a box (don’t even know how much I purchased just asked them for everything at 4 local stores). That stash is now running out (a few thousand rounds every month for a few years) and I doubt it will be replaced at that rate :)
View Quote

Out of all the other brands of polymer 45s the Smith intrigues me the most. Mags are cheap and the guns feel great.

The FNX I have never really liked. The H&Ks look very cool but have never handled one. I’d imagine they are quite expensive. Once you start getting into that 800-900+ range think I would only start considering high end 1911s at that point.

Something else to consider is the CZ97. Never held one but love my 75 and CZ is known for quality.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mark 23.
View Quote

Wouldn't trade mine for anything else. Only thing I like more than it is my AMT Hardballer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Out of all the other brands of polymer 45s the Smith intrigues me the most. Mags are cheap and the guns feel great.

The FNX I have never really liked. The H&Ks look very cool but have never handled one. I'd imagine they are quite expensive. Once you start getting into that 800-900+ range think I would only start considering high end 1911s at that point.

Something else to consider is the CZ97. Never held one but love my 75 and CZ is known for quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a bunch of 45 pistols after Wally World did an ammo dump and I picked up WWB for $4 a box (don't even know how much I purchased just asked them for everything at 4 local stores). That stash is now running out (a few thousand rounds every month for a few years) and I doubt it will be replaced at that rate :)

The FNX I have never really liked. The H&Ks look very cool but have never handled one. I'd imagine they are quite expensive. Once you start getting into that 800-900+ range think I would only start considering high end 1911s at that point.

Mags for mine were dirt cheap so I bought a bunch when I got the gun.  I got it mostly as a suppressor host and it works well for that.   Impressed how well the M&P 2.0 45 fits my hand though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The FNX I have never really liked. The H&Ks look very cool but have never handled one. I’d imagine they are quite expensive. Once you start getting into that 800-900+ range think I would only start considering high end 1911s at that point.

View Quote

CZ97 is on my list. I have heard great things about it and have a Shadow 2 that I absolutely love. I know, not the same thing, but I have heard plenty of good about CZ.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice for me on a 1911 would be the complete ergonomics package.    I grew up shooting one.  My dad had a Combat Commander for a long time when I was growing up.  I shot up a lot of oil cans (back when they were cardboard w/ metal tops and bottoms and you used a spout) around when we went out shooting.    They feel good.   The trigger is great.   They're accurate.    On the other hand they're relatively heavy and low capacity by modern standards.     I've got a couple of them.  I've also got a 22 caliber 1911.    They're range and safe queens now having been replaced for carry by the dark side polymer invasion in the gun safe.
View Quote

Guy who took me to the range the first time was a retired police officer and 1911 nut. He would have a 3rd heart attack if he found out they are making them in 22 now. So far 1911 seems to be the favorite.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mark 23.
View Quote

Shame on me but this is the first I am hearing about it. I’ll look into it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

IMHO if you're only going to have ONE, get a good one! Go as high end as your budget allows.
I'm not saying other guns can't work or aren't good or aren't fun - BUT, if you were only going to have ONE, get a good one.
I'd look at a semi custom gun in a flavor of your liking.
Or you could also get a "Good" one, and get it massaged by a good smith.

I'd want it to be a 5in, series 70 gun.
View Quote

So a custom 1911 ??
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
S&W 4566 ... or if you're a tough guy ... the full-size 4506-1.

None better than Smith's 3rd Gens.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Guy who took me to the range the first time was a retired police officer and 1911 nut. He would have a 3rd heart attack if he found out they are making them in 22 now. So far 1911 seems to be the favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem w/ a 1911 for me is threaded barrel and suppressor height sights.   Generally not doing drop in barrels and price goes way up when you start modifying one to meet that or buying a higher end one or custom gun.    Bang for the buck the M&P 45s are hard to beat and I say this as someone who carries Glocks 99%+ of the time.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Problem w/ a 1911 for me is threaded barrel and suppressor height sights.   Generally not doing drop in barrels and price goes way up when you start modifying one to meet that or buying a higher end one or custom gun.    Bang for the buck the M&P 45s are hard to beat and I say this as someone who carries Glocks 99%+ of the time.

View Quote

X2

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Dan Wesson Pointman 7
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got a storm lake that dropped into 2 Les Baers and a Springfield without issue or fitting. 1911s have served me well with regular sights too
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#31]
If I could only have one 45 ACP, it would be a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
The CZ 97 B would be hard to let go with all the custom stuff I am doing to it but in the end my Glock 30 Gen 4 would be the one I would hang on to. The Glock 30 is just an all around great 45 ACP gun. It is my carry gun when I am hiking, and scored 100% in my CCW class with it so kind of has a strange sentimental value to me too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Production?  Sig 1911.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got a storm lake that dropped into 2 Les Baers and a Springfield without issue or fitting. 1911s have served me well with regular sights too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about that, but this is what made up my mind initially. $422.00 delivered w/ transfer fee is hard to beat.    Then extended mags were 12.94 ea and standard mags were $12.99 ea.     The bonus was it shoots well and feels good in my hand.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Set yourself up to reload ( any person who shoots routinely and is not set up to reload is eaither ridiculously wealthy or insane) and keep all the .45’s. When primer and powder availability improve ( never had an issue with a shortage of pistol bullets) stack deep and keep your 45’s fed indefinitely
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Either my HK45 or USP 45C. They're just the epitome of combat handguns to me. Thee post apocalyptic side arm.

There's designs that are made for the user to easily replace low cost parts and then there's designs that are made so the user will never in his lifetime have to replace parts. Just depends on how that intent suits your needs.

Plus I just love the operational and design history of the USP, HK45 (and MK23 but don't own one YET).
View Quote

HKs are great pistols.  I have had a few, but ended up selling them all.  The paddle mag release is something you either love or don't, for me it ends up being about keeping everything similar.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a slightly modified Springfield GI model 1911, an HK 45, and a S&W early version Thunder Ranch N-Frame model 22-4.

Whittling these down to one would be impossible.  Sorry, that's how it is.  If I absolutely had to, the 1911 would be the one to get tossed...
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shame on me but this is the first I am hearing about it. I'll look into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mark 23.

Shame on me but this is the first I am hearing about it. I'll look into it.
Haven't heard of a Mark 23? Wow.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Colt.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#40]
OK so here is what I am getting:

1) 1911 (High end)
2) HK23
3) Customized Glocks/M&P etc
4) Don’t sell any 45 (I just picked up an FNX 45 tactical on the EE while we were having this conversation )
5) Reload

Looks like I need to get myself a 1911 ASAP.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Ill go one farther.

If I could only have one gun period, and I do a fare bit of hunting. It would be my Springfield Loaded.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Set yourself up to reload ( any person who shoots routinely and is not set up to reload is eaither ridiculously wealthy or insane) and keep all the .45’s. When primer and powder availability improve ( never had an issue with a shortage of pistol bullets) stack deep and keep your 45’s fed indefinitely
View Quote

I do shoot a lot, and I would love to reload but when drawing a balance between time and cost, cost used to win based on prepanic prices. And like I said, I emptied out several stores when they had that sale, I don’t know how much I got but my little Nissan’s exhaust was scrapping when I ascended my driveway

From what I have heard reloading isn’t cheap either these days, and you really have to hunt for projectiles and primers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Tough question.

I've had some of my Colt 1911's for 42 years.  Carried them, shot them, duty gun, concealed/off duty carry gun.  Never failed me.

But, recently I bought an M&P 2.0 Compact and the darn thing shoots as good as any of my 1911s.  Which means better than any of the other .45's I've had over the years.

About the size of the 1911, but with 10 rounds in the standard mags. and 14 if I don't mind them being a bit longer.

Put an Apex trigger kit in it and the trigger is hard to beat.  Crisp, not too light, but so crisp it feels lighter than it measures.  It will most likely get a red dot on it this spring.  So, worse comes to worse, it would be the .45 I'd carry/depend on.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hello,

A while ago when I purchased my first 45 ACP, I did some research and settled on a G21. Budget friendly, positively received, many other pluses.

Recently I expanded my 45 ACP collection, however given that I do not have enough ammo, I will be thinning soon. I have several, but I would like to hear from those of you who are enthusiasts, regarding your opinion on the one, the only 45 ACP that you would keep/get if it came down to it.

Budget is not a concern. Must be production, not customized.

I know it is a very generic question, but I am hoping to see some consensus evolve.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

The 1911 trigger is the king of single action triggers.

If that is a prime consideration and the shooters anthropomorphic closed fist angle equal the 1911 grip angle, an unmolested Norinco would be a solid choice.

Norinco 1911 barrels frames and slides were the only ones forged from 5150 steel. No other firearm uses steel that tough.  The barrels were hard chromed inside and out. All of the other parts were machined from solid bar stock, no castings no MiM. They run right and they gobble Gold Dots with casual aplomb.

1911pistols with catchy names applied to them by the maker are invariably made with tight clearances that shrink groups and improve target scores.
Tight clearances jeopardize reliability.

External mods that improve gun to hand fit or improve ease of use or esthetics generally have no effect on reliability.

If an unmolested all original Norinco could not be found then an original unmolested old Colt or old Springfield would be wise choices. Alternately, any newer 1911 and send it to Cylinder & Slide to be stuffed with all machined parts and have the clearances corrected would suffice.

If the G21 fits your hand optimally and points naturally and instinctively that then is a solid choice.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The 1911 trigger is the king of single action triggers.

If that is a prime consideration and the shooters anthropomorphic closed fist angle equal the 1911 grip angle, an unmolested Norinco would be a solid choice.

Norinco 1911 barrels frames and slides were the only ones forged from 5150 steel. No other firearm uses steel that tough.  The barrels were hard chromed inside and out. All of the other parts were machined from solid bar stock, no castings no MiM. They run right and they gobble Gold Dots with casual aplomb.

1911pistols with catchy names applied to them by the maker are invariably made with tight clearances that shrink groups and improve target scores.
Tight clearances jeopardize reliability.

External mods that improve gun to hand fit or improve ease of use or esthetics generally have no effect on reliability.

If an unmolested all original Norinco could not be found then an original unmolested old Colt or old Springfield would be wise choices. Alternately, any newer 1911 and send it to Cylinder & Slide to be stuffed with all machined parts and have the clearances corrected would suffice.

If the G21 fits your hand optimally and points naturally and instinctively that then is a solid choice.

View Quote

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Amazing knowledge here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tough question.

I've had some of my Colt 1911's for 42 years.  Carried them, shot them, duty gun, concealed/off duty carry gun.  Never failed me.

But, recently I bought an M&P 2.0 Compact and the darn thing shoots as good as any of my 1911s.  Which means better than any of the other .45's I've had over the years.

About the size of the 1911, but with 10 rounds in the standard mags. and 14 if I don't mind them being a bit longer.

Put an Apex trigger kit in it and the trigger is hard to beat.  Crisp, not too light, but so crisp it feels lighter than it measures.  It will most likely get a red dot on it this spring.  So, worse comes to worse, it would be the .45 I'd carry/depend on.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#47]
If I couldn't have a G21 I'd give the SIG 220 a serious look.  Very nice guns.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tough question.

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I only have 2 .45acp pistols.  HK USP45 and a HK USP45 Tactical LE.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Some of the features that determine a lower end 1911 and a higher end are......
Low end.....
Cast steel slide and frame.
Sometimes a two piece barrel.
Many/most parts are MIM.
Lower quality of workmanship in fit and finish.
Sometimes aftermarket parts require more extensive fitting to install.

A higher end....
Forged and machined steel slide and frame.
Better quality barrel.
Few parts made of MIM.
Higher quality workmanship in fit and finish.
If made to the original specs, most aftermarket parts are easily installed with minimal to no fitting.

As example, there are the 1911's made by Armscor and imported by a number of American companies.
These are cast steel and workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

Guns like the Kimber make a lot of use of MIM parts, including for some parts that just shouldn't be made of MIM.

An example of a higher end 1911 are the Colt's.
They use forged and machined slides, frames, and barrels.
Only three parts are MIM, and the key parts like the extractor are bar stock.
Fit and finish are excellent.
After market parts, IF made to the original Colt specs fit easily.
Today's Colt's are some of the best 1911 series pistols Colt has ever made and few people are disappointed with one.
Colt's also have a higher value if you ever sell and more name recognition as THE .45.

Other higher end 1911's usually have higher prices to allow use of custom type parts that may or may not add to the utility of the gun for a specific owner.
All too often these guns with custom features have to be made cheaper to keep the price down and you may get into quality and workmanship problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top