Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2022 9:41:18 PM EDT
I have been carrying with a dot for quite awhile now and I am still amazed at how disgusting it gets sometimes.

What are you using to clean yours and how often? I am quite active so it gets pretty freaking nasty sometimes.

So far I have just used water and an old t shirt with a camera lens cloth after.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Cat crap. That stuff works great. I’ve used the paste and the spray. Also paragon optic cleaner,however I believe cat crap does a better job. You can get both from big Tex ordinance. (I’m not affiliated with big Tex that’s just where I usually order from).
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
dry cotton swab works fine for me
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'm guilty of using my t-shirt when I happen to look at it and see it's nasty.  I open carry while working around my house/garage/back lot, etc. and conceal carry when off my property.

Mine can get pretty nasty while pressure washing stuff, mowing/trimming on dry dust days, sitting on the bench in the dog pen when four dogs trying to get into my lap or jumping up on my legs demanding attention, etc.

When I'm field stripping/cleaning/inspecting/lubing I'll sometimes use a piece of barrel cleaning patch (all my old worn out t-shirts/underwear, etc. get cut up for barrel cleaning patches) to wipe the crud off the lens front and back sides.

My RMRs are 9 years old.  One of the Holosons is about a year old.  A couple are fairly new.

Don't see any damage to the RMRs but then again I don't put on an extra pair of glasses and get up close to examine for damage/wear from cleaning.  Shooting the pistol doesn't show many anything I've noticed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been giving it the ole hot breath and t-shirt treatment for the last three years. That's been more than effective and hasn't damaged anything. Although Trijicon recommends the Optical component cleaner and brush from LensPen. It seems like a waste of money if I'm being honest. To each their own, though, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I hit it with a lense brush, probably every other day, or whenever it's to crudded up.

I also put the generic cover on it (the one that's included with it) when doing weapon maintenance to avoid getting Break-Free or carbon/crud on it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Dawn dish soap mixed with water in a small spray bottle. I give a qtip a spray or two and use a circular motion starting in the center of the lens and working my way out. Flip the qtip with the dry side and mop up the rest. Repeat until clean. I do this whenever is needed. Most of the time a quick blast of commpresed air is all that's need to get the lint, dead skin cells, etc. out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aridcat:
dry cotton swab works fine for me
View Quote

I also use a cotton swab whenever my RMR sight window starts looking dirty.  

I also wear an under shirt a majority of the time.  I think it helps with keeping the sight lens cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been trying the "cat crap" for a little bit and so far it seems to be doing better than my old routine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was carrying a RMR or RMRcc equipped Glock I used a lens cloth that came with my Vortex Razor and a lens pen that came with my ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Compressed air or I’ll just blow on it.  T-shirt.  Those are the most common.  If it needs it I’ll hit it with windex and a paper towel.  People over think it imo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Guys, please don't wipe your lenses with a dry cloth/swab. Over time the image will degrade from the micro scratches from the cloth.
Blow the lens off with compressed air or a keyboard cleaner can, then use an actual lens wipe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Serious question: how do yall clean the lens wipe/lens pen after sustained use? You're removing carbon from the front lens, but that same carbon is now lodged on your cleaning surface.

Just wash it off? I'm probably over thinking this (I use one-time lens wipes but am tired of buying them over and over).
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I use compressed air a few times a week.  When its actually dirty I use eye glass cleaner sprayed on a q tip on the lens and then the dry side to wipe away the left over cleaner.  Works great.  If I get finger prints just on the front outside lens I use a lens pen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for regularly hitting it with compressed air. Microfiber cloth as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine gets pretty funky. I use Zeiss lens cleaner and a q tip or Zeiss wipes.

The positive is I've noticed zero issues with using a dirty RMR or DPP. Lint, dust, dirt, snow, rain, etc have not been a problem.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Same thing I clean the pistol with. Dawn dish soap. Warm water. Blow everything out with compressed air after.

Don’t rub your lenses with things until you’re damn sure there are no contaminants on the lenses. It takes one tiny grain of sand or bullshit to turn your optic into a blurry hazy sun bloom pile of shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
My lens gets dirty within a mag or 2 shooting suppressed.
Ben using my shirt.
Guess I need to start carrying lens cleaners and compressed air :(

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Canned air, basically every time I holster it. It's stored right next to the gun and takes like 3 seconds to do. I conceal (mostly) so there's a shirt or whatever protecting the lens more often than not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Lens wipe, then compressed air.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Mine gets pretty funky. I use Zeiss lens cleaner and a q tip or Zeiss wipes.

The positive is I've noticed zero issues with using a dirty RMR or DPP. Lint, dust, dirt, snow, rain, etc have not been a problem.
View Quote

That's it.  It's not binoculars/scope.  You just put the dot on the target where you want it and pull the trigger correctly.  If you can put the dot on the target it will work.  Your not counting buttons or catsup stains on his shirt of looking to see if that's a real pen in his pocket or a pencil.  

After having tried it out I don't even worry about water on the lens if I'm out in the rain.  Just put the nice shiny dot on the big old target.  It's so easy to do if you don't spend time worrying about the things that don't matter at that time/place.

Kind of like the paint chip on the hood of your car.  Doesn't affect how it handles, brakes, accelerates, and you only notice it or think about it when you wash/wax the car.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

That's it.  It's not binoculars/scope.  You just put the dot on the target where you want it and pull the trigger correctly.  If you can put the dot on the target it will work.  Your not counting buttons or catsup stains on his shirt of looking to see if that's a real pen in his pocket or a pencil.  

After having tried it out I don't even worry about water on the lens if I'm out in the rain.  Just put the nice shiny dot on the big old target.  It's so easy to do if you don't spend time worrying about the things that don't matter at that time/place.

Kind of like the paint chip on the hood of your car.  Doesn't affect how it handles, brakes, accelerates, and you only notice it or think about it when you wash/wax the car.
View Quote

I agree it has never impeded my ability to use my rmr, but its still gross and I hate it.

I wash my truck even though it has no effect on how it operates, it makes me feel better and gives me a chance to visually inspect my vehicle on a regular basis for issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Cotton swab.  If you have a warranty issue Trijicon will ask you if you use cleaning products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top