Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2023 6:08:19 PM EDT
Hard to keep track of all the variations of the Hi Power EAA is importing, but this is the shorter barreled “detective” slide on full size Ops frame.  Has an extended beaver tail, which I like, with a flared section at the bottom of the frame, which I’m not crazy about, a straight trigger which I like, and an extended slide stop which I significantly dislike.  

I’ll update more later after I’ve messed with it a while. Fit and finished is very foot though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know what kind of PITA that guide rod is to install.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Czechers:
I'd like to know what kind of PITA that guide rod is to install.
View Quote

I’ll check it out just for you- but I don’t clean my guns very often so it’s not much concern for me.

Cool thing about it so far- it’s a drop in and nice fit for interchanging w my FN. MK3.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
sweet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#4]
Guide rod- I didn’t read the instructions, but to get it out, you have to pull it rearward from the barrel lug slightly and twist it about 20 degrees or so.  Reassemble in reverse.  It’s not near as easy as a stock hi power, but I wouldn’t classify it as difficult.  

Attachment Attached File

Let’s talk about the rail.   I couldn’t figure out how to get a Surefire x200 to mount. I could only get a stream light to work using the TSW/99 adapter.  My TRL1 is several years old, do they even ship w the tsw adapter anymore?  Also tried an Enforce compact and it wouldn’t work.  Girsans did not do any homework on where the pic slots should be in relation to the front of trigger guard.  Disappointed in this.  Wish I had got the non railed version.  

Attachment Attached File

Rear sight on this model is machined as part of the optics filler plate. No windage adjustment.  I didn’t intend to run a red dot on this. Also a little disappointed. I haven’t read the instructions yet to know what footprint it’s cut for.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Internal exhibit very little to no machining marks.  Very nicely done!  

The beaver tail is very nicely executed.  And the hammer recesses into it perfectly. It feels good in the hand and will certainly eliminate hammer bite. But the flare at the front bottom of the frame I could do without. In my opinion it doesn’t feel as comfortable as a standard hi power, and unfortunately the mag well isn’t opened up any even though that would appear to be why they would have flared it.

Initial impressions are it’s made really well, but they selected some features that aren’t my preference.  Other than the rail, and lack of compatibility with the gold standard Surefire, my complaints are minor.  Can’t wait to shoot it. But may trade it afterwards on a standard PI length Girsan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Any issues w/ standard 13 round HiPower mags?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Magazines-  It ships with one 15 round Mecgar mag.  Mecgar has been the gold standard for Hi Power mags for many decades now.  People like to complain that it only ships with one magazine, but I'd rather have one Mecgar than 2 or 3 make in Turkey copies.  And I have a pile of Mecgar mags already so I'm fine not paying $20 more for the gun to get two mags.

I've tried a couple other Mecgar 13 round Hi Power mags and they fit just as they should.  One funny thing- the mags don't drop free.  And this model doesn't have a magazine safety to keep them from dropping.  I've looked at it, I'm pretty sure the sear spring is bent just slightly into the mag well, rubbing the back of the mags and preventing them from falling free.  I'll tweak that spring which should fix it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
About 20 minutes of tweaking the sear spring and almost all my mags drop free.  All mecgars are dropping with authority.  About 1/2 of my KRD mags drop free easily.  The other 1/2 still get hung up about 1/2 way out of the frame.  All of the KRD mags drop free from my FN Mk3.  

Disassembly notes- the detent and spring for the safety is not captive like the FN MK3.  I spent a minute or two looking for the detent when I first stripped the frame to work on the sear safety.  But, this provides for a nice tactile safety in both the on and off position.  

The trigger appears to be cut for the magazine safety, and also has the pin across it to retain the mag safety, but it's not included.  Thank you Girsan!

I'm really impressed with fit and finish.  If not for the big oversight on the picatinny rail, the only complaints I have so far would just be based on my personal preferences.  

Oh, and holsters.....  I don't have anything that fits it very well.  A belt slide small frame Glock holster is about the only thing that's somewhat close, and it's too big at the top (around ejection port area).  I wasn't planning on carrying this gun anyway.

Now to see if it runs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I couldn’t resist… this is my 3rd Girsan MC P35 and I gotta say, minus the needed trigger work, they are fantastic guns.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By M60-E4:
I couldn't resist  this is my 3rd Girsan MC P35 and I gotta say, minus the needed trigger work, they are fantastic guns.

https://i.imgur.com/0TfHbb0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4W1DVb1.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!

I keep getting seriously tempted to pull the trigger on of these. I really like the slightly more compact dimension. Would be a nice contrast to my OEM Browning MkIII.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Short range day with the MC P35pi on Saturday.  I only fired about 75 rounds through it, just for a preliminary function check and to identify any issues.  

Function was 100% from both a Mecgar 15 round magazine and a KRD 15 round mag.  The only issue was both grip screws backed out a little and the grips got loose.  I had them off when I detail stripped the gun right after I got it, I'm sure I tightened them up.  I went ahead and made the screws a little more than snug, but if it happens next time out, I'll put a drop of blue locktight on each one.

Ammo fired was Blazer Brass 124g and S&B 124g.  It's a snappy little handgun.  I wish I had brought another of my Hi Powers to shoot side by side, but didn't.  After just a few rounds it's obvious the top rear of the grip panels need the sharp edge knocked off.  (part of the grip immediately below the thumb safety).  The only other uncomfortable part of the frame is the edge from the flat portion of the frame to the extended tang.  The extended tang is very well executed, but it would have been nice to have just a little more radius on the sides that contact your thumb.

Sights are point of aim- which I was concerned about considering the rear is not windage adjustable.  All in all, I'm happy with it.  It's a fun range toy.  I can't help but think the standard PI version, not the OPS, is the way to go for a shorter Hi Power though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the regular PI. I like it a lot. Is there a PI match out or just the Ops?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
I have the regular PI. I like it a lot. Is there a PI match out or just the Ops?
View Quote

EAA's website only lists the PI and the PI Ops.  But apparently the PI Ops were only imported within the last few weeks, so you never know what's coming.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M60-E4] [#13]
I agree on the sharp edges… both my PI Ops and regular PI have these edges that can get a hair uncomfortable with extended shooting.

Still both are great guns and Girsan did a great job on them.  I had a Girsan Match sent off to Mk3 firearms for some work and had them bevel the edges in those areas which came out really nice.

My PI Ops is at my LGS getting a trigger job as I type!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
View Quote

saw this on GB this morning.  If it was black or grey, I would prefer it over the OPS.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/987211780

I'd say it's likely we'll continue to see variations.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:29:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#15]
Originally Posted By M60-E4:
I agree on the sharp edges… both my PI Ops and regular PI have these edges that can get a hair uncomfortable with extended shooting.

Still both are great guns and Girsan did a great job on them.  I had a Girsan Match sent off to Mk3 firearms for some work and had them bevel the edges in those areas which came out really nice.

My PI Ops is at my LGS getting a trigger job as I type!!!
View Quote

Got any pics of the Mk3 match?

**** Just saw your post in this forum.  Good looking handgun!

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BPR:

saw this on GB this morning.  If it was black or grey, I would prefer it over the OPS.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/987211780

I'd say it's likely we'll continue to see variations.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:58:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kokopelli] [#17]
I looked at all the models on EAA’s website since I’m looking to pick one of these up-
I definitely want the LW frame, but it looks like the only options for the LW frame are with the optics cut slide.

I’m also not sold on the magwell flare on the LW frame.
I can’t help but think they’ve missed a large market by not offering the standard PI configuration with a ‘normal’ LW frame.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
I looked at all the models on EAA’s website since I’m looking to pick one of these up-
I definitely want the LW frame, but it looks like the only options for the LW frame are with the optics cut slide.

I’m also not sold on the magwell flare on the LW frame.
I can’t help but think they’ve missed a large market by not offering the standard PI configuration with a ‘normal’ LW frame.
View Quote

Yeah, that's a variant I would want for sure.  I'd also take a full size with standard LW frame.

It'd be nice to be able to buy the PI slide assembly by itself, too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Yeah, that's a variant I would want for sure.  I'd also take a full size with standard LW frame.

View Quote

Yep- I looked through their parts department- no such luck. I would imagine they could sell quite a few of those PI slides to the crowd that doesn’t want to pay the big bucks for an Argentine Detective upper.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Yep- I looked through their parts department- no such luck. I would imagine they could sell quite a few of those PI slides to the crowd that doesn’t want to pay the big bucks for an Argentine Detective upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

You can order other parts, but they want the model and serial number from one of their guns to order something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top