Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 7:49:49 PM EDT
Guys I'm ashamed to have to ask this, but I cant tell.

Does anyone know if these stocks are square or round butt, this is for a J frame pistol?

I purchased them today, and I'm afraid in my haste I may have bought square butt grips.  I need round butt, at least I think.

The reason I'm second guessing myself is after I paid for them, I noticed the seller claimed they're for square butt.  It makes me take a double take and now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew.

I dont have the stocks yet, but I do have this pistol laying here.

These are the grips I bought:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And this is the piece:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure look like round butt to me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I was hoping you would say that
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
definitely round

https://i.imgur.com/cJIX1Kv.jpg

View Quote

Serious question. What is the plastic grip piece supposed to do? I have seen it before but never knew why.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Serious question. What is the plastic grip piece supposed to do? I have seen it before but never knew why.
View Quote

Tyler T-grip (I think they're aluminum)

Makes those little "magna" grips more handfilling without adding more bulk.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

They ruin the looks of a gun, is what they do..............  

When you can, cruise through Altamont Grips' web site. The categorize their grips by butt style, so the buyer won't purchase the wrong grips. The offer some beautiful rosewood grips for blued Smiths. I have them on almost every Smith I own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When you can, cruise through Altamont Grips' web site. The categorize their grips by butt style, so the buyer won't purchase the wrong grips. The offer some beautiful rosewood grips for blued Smiths. I have them on almost every Smith I own.
View Quote

And I literally just bought a t grip this morning haha.

I personally like them, and wanted an old school look to the piece.

Brushed aluminum btw
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking grip on the blued Smith, IMO.

I prefer the finger groove grips due to the summer hand sweating. Sort of like these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the replacement grips, advertised as Square Butt, but they must be Round, because they fit just fine.

Starting to put it back together one piece at a time.

Manufacture year 1987, so I have to find a box now.  Cant believe how much those are going for on ebay...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got the replacement grips, advertised as Square Butt, but they must be Round, because they fit just fine.

Starting to put it back together one piece at a time.

Manufacture year 1987, so I have to find a box now.  Cant believe how much those are going for on ebay...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10799/20230422_170023_jpg-2792161.JPG
View Quote

Looks good
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
T grip haters look the other way, I installed mine and kind of like it.

It's old school and tasteful IMO.

I ordered a period correct box with all the inserts and paperwork (minus the rust paper) this morning from ebay for 40 bucks, but obviously the serial doesn't match.  So for my final question on this weekend project:  is there a place that makes repro labels for smith boxes?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Altamont grips look like plywood.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
T grip haters look the other way, I installed mine and kind of like it.

It's old school and tasteful IMO.

I ordered a period correct box with all the inserts and paperwork (minus the rust paper) this morning from ebay for 40 bucks, but obviously the serial doesn't match.  So for my final question on this weekend project:  is there a place that makes repro labels for smith boxes?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10799/20230426_203143_jpg-2796988.JPG
View Quote

T grips are awesome.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah I'm liking it too.

Got my box.  What's missing that would have been included other than these papers?  Mid 80s production.

I think I'm missing a wax paper rust prohibitor but I'm not sure if those were included or what it would have looked like.

Attachment Attached File

I've really enjoyed putting this back together.  Even with the added flare of the t grip although that wasn't original bUT many of that period I've seen have one.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm liking it too.

Got my box.  What's missing that would have been included other than these papers?  Mid 80s production.

I think I'm missing a wax paper rust prohibitor but I'm not sure if those were included or what it would have looked like.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10799/20230501_204045_jpg-2802793.JPG

I've really enjoyed putting this back together.  Even with the added flare of the t grip although that wasn't original bUT many of that period I've seen have one.

View Quote

Yes, Would have had the wax paper.  I've had two square butt J frames.  First a 4" 651 .22WMR kit gun and later a 1 7/8" 60 .38 SPL that my mother still has.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top