Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2020 8:18:29 PM EDT
Looking for a double action 45lc/acp. I found so far it's only these two. I own a 610 and 2 vaqueros, I've never shot a double action Ruger, not really brand bias.  I love moon clips unlike a lot of other people so its down to these two. Only for plinking, not carrying which should I pick? I just don't like how there is not a normal rear sight on the Gov.

If it has to be cut for 45 lc clips then I'll do it, its not a deterrence.

Pics

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W Model 25
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Redhawk hands down.  You may need trigger work, but it will be worth it. 410's should be chambered in shotguns not revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redhawk hands down.  You may need trigger work, but it will be worth it. 410's should be chambered in shotguns not revolvers.
View Quote
This.  And .410 shotguns are overrated and dumb.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A .410 sxs is a sweet sweet squirrel gun
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Smith & wesson mountain gun

I had a redhawk. Had some reliability issues and was an effin tank. Carried it everyday in a Kramer horsehide scabbard.

Still have the holster. Not the gun. Waiting to find a mountain gun with my name on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
S&W Model 25
View Quote

Don't like 6" but I didnt know about the mountain ver and I know where one is. Reasonable price to get it cut too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
S&W M25-5 is a beautiful thing, they are very nice revolvers and will hold their resale value if you are the type to swap/sell guns.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Governor and can attest in certain circumstances it’s the cats ass. It handles 45 ACP like a champ. Very accurate with the ability to use 45 Super for serious situations. Mine loves mild cast 45 Colt loads. In fact I shoot these into a Skoal can at 45 yards with ease.
Moon clips are great. Half moons greater.
Now, the 410 portion is interesting. You must use the shells for the pistols. They use a different wads compared to normal shot shells, hence very different performance. I can attest in my testing that the Winchester PDX works well. Federal buckshot is no joke.
I can guarantee that there is not a person on earth that would want to stand in front of a 410 defense load out of a governor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing you can do with the Ruger that you can't with the Governor is run the really hot 45 colt loads through it (Ruger only power levels).
A hot loaded 45colt colt out of a Redhawk is starting to nip on the heels of 454 Casull territory and is a serious no joke handheld sledgehammer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
the ruger without question. I have one, its very nice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The Redhawk, by a long shot.  You can load it from mild to wild.  From fun plinking loads to full blown grizzly bear defense that will rattle your fillings and the Redhawk will just shrug them off.   If you don't have any intention of shooting the big boomers, the S&W Mountain gun is a nice six shooter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Mountain gun is sold, I keep going back to the 6" 25-5. I guess I could get used to the 6" but I would make it ugly by putting Hogue grips on it.

So now it's 25-5 vs redhawk.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you just going to shoot acp's?

Maybe a a 1917
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe a a 1917
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/M1917_jpg-1743500.JPG
View Quote

redhawk would still be cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take a Redhawk over a Governor.

I would take a Model 25 over a Redhawk.

Just me
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe a a 1917
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/M1917_jpg-1743500.JPG
View Quote

No, not much. I just like options and moon clips. Most likely I'll get the 25-5 and have it cut for Moonclips and ability to shoot 45acp. I bought a g41 just for 10mm conversion so I could shoot 3 calibers with one gun. Same as my vaqueros I have cylinder for 45 acp and colt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would take a Redhawk over a Governor.

I would take a Model 25 over a Redhawk.

Just me
View Quote

Agreed, ill go with the 25. Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Redhawk.
Love mine. If you are out in the country and manage to miss the bear shooting at it, you can use the Ruger to beat it to death.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the silver SW Gov and it shoots well with about any thing , 45 Colt seems to pack a punch . 45 acp is a tac driver , and the 410 with the 4 shot or PDX has some use also . plus it is light . I have a Desantis open top leather and you forget it on . I go SW .
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Governor and can attest in certain circumstances it’s the cats ass. It handles 45 ACP like a champ. Very accurate with the ability to use 45 Super for serious situations. Mine loves mild cast 45 Colt loads. In fact I shoot these into a Skoal can at 45 yards with ease.
Moon clips are great. Half moons greater.
Now, the 410 portion is interesting. You must use the shells for the pistols. They use a different wads compared to normal shot shells, hence very different performance. I can attest in my testing that the Winchester PDX works well. Federal buckshot is no joke.
I can guarantee that there is not a person on earth that would want to stand in front of a 410 defense load out of a governor.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.

However, standard Remington/Winchester/Federal 2.5” shotshells run fine through the Governor.

I carry the first four rounds loaded with #7.5 birdshot for snakes while paddling the Florida backwaters. Effective on Moccasins and Copperheads without over penetration or penetration of the hull of my Grumman and reduced risk from errant shots. The last two rounds are a .45Colt load from Georgia Arms for anything that shrugs off the birdshot. I keep two full moonclips loaded with ..45acp Critical Defense for fast reloads if needed. Also balances out the Miami shoulder rig I carry it in.

The only .410 shells I have seen specifically NOT recommend for the Governor were an offering from ATI and “Centurion” branded.

ETA- However, OP, if your intention is to primarily shoot .45Colt, choose a revolver dedicated for that round.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Found a new years miracle and at a great price. Only 25 or so rounds through her and no marks.

625-9

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Found a new years miracle and at a great price. Only 25 or so rounds through her and no marks.

625-9

https://i.imgur.com/8PzTq0Bl.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful.

That gun needs some nicer grips though
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
That was a good, and fast score for you.
I looked for a significant time but I was looking for a blue model. Good on you, what a nice gun. It will serve you well.

I don't own and don't intend to buy a Governer but I see a lot of utility in them. I'm not the standard internet hater. Back when I was a kid shooting a LOT of snakes, I'd of been stupid happy with a handgun that would launch 410 shot and also 45 Colts. Big time. I would be The Master of my Little Universe.
The river paddler above makes a great case for that gun being very usable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I don’t have a lot of revolvers.

I have had a 357 Blackhawk for about 35 years.  It was my hiking gun forever.  It’s solid and dependable.  I have used a colleagues in 45 Colt and will say the same.

I briefly had a S&W Model 15.  It was not a very good gun.    I did love my buddies 686.

I have two 608s.  Just to try and play with with the 4 inch and 6 inch 8 shots.  They are better than I expected.  The comptac/speed Beez holsters will work with them.  You can find speedloaders for them.  
They cost about half as much as a S&W 8 shot 357.  I don’t know what 45 Colt revolvers they offer that are not Judge types.  They do make a ton of 454s.

I have one of the new 610s.  I have handled and shot someone else’s 25.  Great gun.

But my Redhawk in 45 Colt/ACP I prefer.  I have speedloaders for 45C, and the factory moon clips work great.  The speed Beez aftermarket ones are not drilled and slotted and a bear to load in comparison to the factory ones.  I really favor the Redhawk.  It is ready to go for 45 Colt or ACP out of the box.  The trigger is essentially 5/11, vs the 4/11 of the 610.  But the Ruger is good to go for 44 mag type loads vs the 25.

I would grab the Redhawk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top