Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2020 4:55:12 PM EDT
Today was the first time I have been shooting since undergoing renal cancer surgery in September 2019.  Let's put it this way...my hands that were steady are now not steady and I shake like Michael J. Fox.  I'm not sure if it is from a loss of strength or being on prednisone for a while or if I have some weird side effects from dialysis.

Regardless...here are my results.  I struggled with dots 6, 7, and 8.  Distance was at 7 yards.  I never felt like I was going fast...just purposeful.

I finished up the day shooting at 3 4" steel plates at 10 yards.  I just went back and forth ringing the steel keeping a steady cadence.  My best streak was 22 hits without missing.  Mainly I wanted to just get used to seeing the front sight on target and pressing the trigger and feeling it reset and moving to the next target.  All in all I fired 250 rounds and it was a good day.

My plan is to continue this until I get my hand and arm strength back and I am 100% again.

It was a good day at the range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you clean it consistently when you are at 3 and 5 yards?

How fast are you shooting each task?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you clean it consistently when you are at 3 and 5 yards?

How fast are you shooting each task?
View Quote
3 and 5 no problem.

i am slow as whale shit...working on it.

let me put it this way...I know I have lost strength because the trigger on my VP9 felt heavy to me.

I have not been dry firing while healing up and no drawing and presenting.  That's going to change.

just trying to get back in the saddle again.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Once you get back to practicing you will be all right. Muscle memory is everything, and you just have to relearn it.

Oh and, welcome back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Your still out there shooting.  That is great.  Keep it up.  Your shooting is better than many I've seen.  David
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
One thing I noticed...and I think this is the mental aspect of it.

When I am shooting a 4" steel plate at 10 and 15 yards...I am relaxed and just having fun...I need to transfer that mentality to the dot drill.  I can feel the tension creep up and leads to poor results.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing I noticed...and I think this is the mental aspect of it.

When I am shooting a 4" steel plate at 10 and 15 yards...I am relaxed and just having fun...I need to transfer that mentality to the dot drill.  I can feel the tension creep up and leads to poor results.
View Quote
The dot torture test is one of the most challenging tests when done correctly.  The combo of accuracy, and the mental strain of firing 50 rounds while not missing is difficult.  An optional difficulty is to put a time to complete it by.

I've cleared the dot test only a handful of times.  When I start getting towards the bottom circles and haven't missed....my hands tend to clam up a little bit thinking about the last rounds.  It's usually then when I f*ck up and dump a shot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
first of all congrats on nipping that in the butt and surviving.

As they say slow is smooth, smooth is fast. just keep up the reps and everything will come back in time.

Your already ahead of the game compared to many others.

Fuck Cancer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top