Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2023 5:05:44 PM EDT
I’m considering buying a Bul SAS II Ultralight. Bul will only ship it with 10 round mags to states with capacity restrictions (standard capacity is 16, 15 round limit in the PRI). Are there any reputable gunsmiths that will order full cap mags and modify them to make them legal for your ban states capacity restrictions?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I dealt with that issue earlier, company shipping it doesn't care, up to your FFL guy to do compliance.  There are kits to insert in the mag to limit them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Similar here. 15 rds.
Will dimples still allow the follower out?

Made these from a cutting board on a router table.  Well, my nephew did .  A short test showed success with 2 plugs in the bottom.  Didn’t trim the springs.  Need a bit more testing to confirm.

None of our local LE would care, but I shoot some at a state run range and did this to cover my ass.
If that BUL is a 2011 pattern, these checkmate mags are it, and 17 round.  Not sure how you can get them in your state tho.   Staccato sells 15s and they are $$.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar here. 15 rds.
Will dimples still allow the follower out?

Made these from a cutting board on a router table.  Well, my nephew did .  A short test showed success with 2 plugs in the bottom.  Didn’t trim the springs.  Need a bit more testing to confirm.

None of our local LE would care, but I shoot some at a state run range and did this to cover my ass.
If that BUL is a 2011 pattern, these checkmate mags are it, and 17 round.  Not sure how you can get them in your state tho.   Staccato sells 15s and they are $$.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_7801_jpeg-2834791.JPG
View Quote

Unfortunately it’s not a true 2011 and uses funky mags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You are going to need to find a friendly FFL who will accept the standard cap mags then.  We have them here, I bet you do too.
They pull the baseplates here.

Back to your first post, there has got to be some smith out there modding for 15.  There should be anyway. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are going to need to find a friendly FFL who will accept the standard cap mags then.  We have them here, I bet you do too.
They pull the baseplates here.
View Quote

I need to have it done out of state. They won’t ship to a ban state. It sure seems like a business someone would have come up with by now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have found, here, different FFLs have differing views on our statute.  I am not in the Denver area tho.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can not legally own mag with more than 10 round capacity and Bul willing to ship 10 rounder to you, why bother to pay extra to convert mag???
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can not legally own mag with more than 10 round capacity and Bul willing to ship 10 rounder to you, why bother to pay extra to convert mag???
View Quote

He can legally own 15 round mags. Bul apparently only offers 10 and 16. Why handicap himself with 10's if he doesn't have to do so? The trick is finding someone who can modify the 16's to hold one less round.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He can legally own 15 round mags. Bul apparently only offers 10 and 16. Why handicap himself with 10's if he doesn't have to do so? The trick is finding someone who can modify the 16's to hold one less round.
View Quote

This in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Could a follower that is longer than OEM be 3d printed?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could a follower that is longer than OEM be 3d printed?
View Quote

I’m sure it could, but it wouldn’t be a legal fix here. It has to be a permanent modification. Pinned, dimpled, welded, etc.. It can’t be readily converted back to a full cap mag.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m considering buying a Bul SAS II Ultralight. Bul will only ship it with 10 round mags to states with capacity restrictions (standard capacity is 16, 15 round limit in the PRI). Are there any reputable gunsmiths that will order full cap mags and modify them to make them legal for your ban states capacity restrictions?
View Quote

The best solution is to move to a free state .
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’m sure it could, but it wouldn’t be a legal fix here. It has to be a permanent modification. Pinned, dimpled, welded, etc.. It can’t be readily converted back to a full cap mag.
View Quote

What a crock.  You can drop a dowel in a shotgun tube and be legal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What a crock.  You can drop a dowel in a shotgun tube and be legal.
View Quote

Worse yet. I can keep all the full cap mags I already have. I can’t take them off the property unless going to the range, the gun store or the gun smith. Same with “assault weapons”.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Country spirit in AZ will let you ship them mags from a retailer, they will block the mags and then ship you the blocked mags.

https://www.country-spirit.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Country spirit in AZ will let you ship them mags from a retailer, they will block the mags and then ship you the blocked mags.

https://www.country-spirit.com
View Quote

Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks.
View Quote

You're welcome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top