Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 1:45:30 PM EDT
A ruger 22/45 like pistol but in 9mm. Sort of like a semi auto welrod. The new b&t station six is cool, but the price and bolt action aren't.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean a 9mm 1911?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm..... no. Otherwise I would've asked where I could get a 1911 in 9mm.

A fixed barrel 9mm with a bolt similar to a 22/45 action. The only thing similar to a 1911 would be the grip angle and possibly magazines.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
There have been a very few 9mm blowback pistols, search Forgotten Weapons website as Ian has made a couple of videos on them. Problem is that 9mm is really too powerful for straight blowback in a pistol, the bolt needs to be very heavy and the recoil spring too powerful for easy operation in a pistol weight weapon. Works ok in submachine guns, but now you are talking a 2lb pistol versus a 5 lb submachine gun. 380 ACP is about as powerful as you can go in a straight blowback action, and even that cartridge works better with some type of locking action.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Searching on the google machine, I found the non-nfa silencerco maxim 9. It seems to be the closest copy of what I was thinking about. It would be perfect if they had the end more rounded to match the contour of the silencer. I may try one if they ever get out of vaporware status.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The  Goncz was something like that, no longer produced

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Total_Recall_(1990)
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There have been a very few 9mm blowback pistols, search Forgotten Weapons website as Ian has made a couple of videos on them. Problem is that 9mm is really too powerful for straight blowback in a pistol, the bolt needs to be very heavy and the recoil spring too powerful for easy operation in a pistol weight weapon. Works ok in submachine guns, but now you are talking a 2lb pistol versus a 5 lb submachine gun. 380 ACP is about as powerful as you can go in a straight blowback action, and even that cartridge works better with some type of locking action.
View Quote
This.

The R51 was theoretically closest to what OP wanted, with a fixed barrel and minimal moving parts.  Mine was only 80% reliable at best, and now Remington went bankrupt in one of the heaviest gun sales environments ever.  I'm glad I got rid of that piece of junk, even though I very much so wanted it to not suck
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]
a luger in 9mm would be kind of like that.

But yea, the non-nfa maxim would be a closer match (and modern)
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren’t the cheepo Hi-point 9mm blow-back ?

Edit:  yep:  blow back and made of pot metal according to Wiki.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Astra 400 is the 9mm Para version of the Astra 600 which is 9mm Largo. My Dad has a Astra 600 and it's a horrible gun to shoot. It also shoots 9mm Para but bulges the cases.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
A nambu model 14 was the basis of the Ruger Standard which evolved into the MK series and ultimately the 22/45. Bill Ruger also used the styling of the p08 as part of his vision.

But as others have stated blow back in that size package in 9mm isn't happening. 32 s&w has been done but required a big weight on the back of the bolt. With some custom tungsten weights added to the bolt you might be able to get the design to work in .380.....but again really pushing the envelop.

Look at how much mass uzi's, mac-10's ect.... have for bolts. They use a telescoping bolt which goes over the barrel to keep some of the mass forward to keep the overall weapons shorter. No way to cheat physics with a blow back.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
a luger in 9mm would be kind of like that.

But yea, the non-nfa maxim would be a closer match (and modern)
View Quote

No, the luger action uses a moving barrel. Barrel and breech block both move rearward keeping the action locked until the bullet leaves the barrel and gas pressure is reduced. The barrel then hits a stop while a ramp activates the toggle links to allow the breech block to continue moving back, extracting the cartridge. The luger barrel doesn't move much, but then neither does the barrel in the typical tilt-barrel action like a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A nambu model 14 was the basis of the Ruger Standard which evolved into the MK series and ultimately the 22/45. Bill Ruger also used the styling of the p08 as part of his vision.

But as others have stated blow back in that size package in 9mm isn't happening. 32 s&w has been done but required a big weight on the back of the bolt. With some custom tungsten weights added to the bolt you might be able to get the design to work in .380.....but again really pushing the envelop.

Look at how much mass uzi's, mac-10's ect.... have for bolts. They use a telescoping bolt which goes over the barrel to keep some of the mass forward to keep the overall weapons shorter. No way to cheat physics with a blow back.
View Quote

Astra made a straight blow back pistol in 9mm largo and 9mm para. It has a really stiff recoil spring and is a PITA to shoot as well as assemble.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The only fixed barrel 9mm I own is a HK P7. I do want a HK P9s though, another fixed barrel 9mm. But none that look like a Ruger...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Aren’t the cheepo Hi-point 9mm blow-back ?

Edit:  yep:  blow back and made of pot metal according to Wiki.
View Quote

And very loud.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah a Luger
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top