Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How about much heavier bullets? Like 405gr to 1oz going 1400-1600fps?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  The 5.7 has already shown to be sub-optimal in real life. From all available data, the high-velocity handgun rounds also don't perform as reliably as a heavier expanding bullet designed to meet or exceed the FBI criteria.
View Quote
Could you point me to those citations?  To be clear, I view high-velocity handgun rounds as starting @ 2100 fps.  Anything below that can be expected to perform as a normal handgun service caliber - cutting a hole of caliber size or larger a given distance in flesh.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
After nearly 50 years of reloading many military calibers my experiance with the 357 Sig (my son has one that I've loaded 124 grain XTP for years) and now I'll have my own in a few days, I'd say that the reality is that the caliber is not for the feint hearted, ammo buyer, hand loader or shooter.

If you buy ammo find some that gets you into the 1,400 + FPS range, if reloading do the same or simply stick with +p+ 9mm. I get an average of 1,250 FPS with 9mm 124 grain XTP, safely.

I can get 1,400 + FPS range  with the 357 Sig safely and that's the point of  the cartridge. In close you're at max velocities for expansion and at max range you are still within expansion velocity. Hit and hit as hard as possible from a hand gun at hand gun ranges.

The 357 Sig is designed to hit with authority, soft targets are pulverized hard targets are hit with such authority that the target is incapacitated. The 357 Sig is a tactical cartridge design.

I don't care that the pressures are hard on the gun, I know it's a 40,000 lb cartridge. The point is for the gun (if needed) saves my life not for me to worry about wearing it out.

If I want fun target shooting I have 22's and a nice 38 model 10. The 5.7 lacks authority upon impact.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DMilisock:
The 357 Sig is designed to hit with authority, soft targets are pulverized hard targets are hit with such authority that the target is incapacitated. The 357 Sig is a tactical cartridge design.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:
I am surprised to see under penetration in there.

I'll stick with 9mm and 45.
View Quote
I've carried the 45 for 47 years and hand load it to +p levels a good cartridge. I got a 9mm given to me about 25 years ago and load it to +p+ another good cartridge. As hand guns go, I'm not giving up my rifle.

The 357 Sig is never going to be a general issue military cartridge today. It takes time and practice to manage the pressure and certainly not for those who are recoil sensitive.

I see the cartridge as a natural evolution for combat cartridges, getting a 40,000 lb cartridge on line with sufficient on target energy to incapacitate targets hardened with soft armor at close combat ranges was easy to see coming.

The 5.7 can penetrate but with little authority. I've seen laboratory tests done with both the 5.7 and 357 Sig on 3A armor and yes many times the 5.7 penetrated but not real authoritive with the soft tissue simulation. The Sig did not penetrate but in many cases soft tissue simulation was devastating.

It's a modern evolution that works technically, a good deal like the evolution to the 855A1 cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Could you point me to those citations?  To be clear, I view high-velocity handgun rounds as starting @ 2100 fps.  Anything below that can be expected to perform as a normal handgun service caliber - cutting a hole of caliber size or larger a given distance in flesh.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm
That's all you've got?  We're talking 5.7x28mm compared to 9x19mm, and you bring up an article comparing 5.7x28mm to M193?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  5.7x28 performs, for all practical purposes, like a 9mm when you compare the permanent wound cavity. If you shoot a 5.7 out of a pistol-length barrel, you also get a commensurate reduction in velocity. Considering that fragmentation is one of the few things that can make 5.56 perform much better than its caliber, reducing the velocity of the .224 diameter bullet even more when fired out of a handgun means it's going to perform even more poorly.

The onus is on you to provide data that it is much superior out of a handgun than what's currently being used. You would think that'd be a piece of cake based on all the police departments around the world using 5.7x28 and dropping 9mm.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  5.7x28 performs, for all practical purposes, like a 9mm when you compare the permanent wound cavity. If you shoot a 5.7 out of a pistol-length barrel, you also get a commensurate reduction in velocity. Considering that fragmentation is one of the few things that can make 5.56 perform much better than its caliber, reducing the velocity of the .224 diameter bullet even more when fired out of a handgun means it's going to perform even more poorly.

The onus is on you to provide data that it is much superior out of a handgun than what's currently being used. You would think that'd be a piece of cake based on all the police departments around the world using 5.7x28 and dropping 9mm.
No sir:

Originally Posted By Zhukov:  The 5.7 has already shown to be sub-optimal in real life. From all available data, the high-velocity handgun rounds also don't perform as reliably as a heavier expanding bullet designed to meet or exceed the FBI criteria.
You made a claim - then provided a link that says nothing of the sort.  Yes, 5.7x28mm will not perform as well as 5.56x45mm.  That isn't in question.  The question is, can it perform better than 9x19mm?  You cite "all available data", I ask for links, and your citation is comparing it to rifle rounds.

That's misdirection - if you don't know, just say so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  You're correct - I had confounded the two calibers.
View Quote
When Uncle sends me back down to your AO I will buy you a beer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#14]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote
You inserted that info in a thread that's morphing into "small bore trying to reach TMV (That Magical Velocity).
You really don't expect much interest in 45-70's and shotgun slugs here do you?
But you don't even have to get up around 405 gr, look at what Roberts writes about 240's in .44 mag.
Personally I like 45-70, slugs, and .44 mag. With any of those I only have to hit within a 3' radius to cause snakes to shudder and die
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:  You inserted that info in a thread that's morphing into "small bore trying to reach TMV (That Magical Velocity).
But you don't even have to get up around 405 gr, look at what Roberts writes about 240's in .44 mag.
Personally I like 45-70, slugs, and .44 mag. With any of those I only have to hit within a 3' radius to cause snakes to shudder and die
View Quote
Well, if the TMV is a sliding scale dependent on mass, that would be really helpful to know.  If we have to get 30 grainers up to 3500 fps to make the temporary cavity permanent, we'd rather know that sooner than later.  It would make gared8787's experimentation w/ the .22 Mamba kinda pointless.

OTH, if 2100 fps is the minimum TMV, and we can convert all our 9x19mm guns to .22 Mamba throwing 30 grainers @ 2250 fps, and all our .40s to .357 SIG & throw 50 grns @ 2300 fps, and get terminal ballistics better than current service calibers, that would be delightful for everyone other than the miscreants and the suppressor companies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#16]
So, getting back to magnum(ish) calibers:

Is there still a place for my .357mag and 10mm?  Or should i stick to 9mms and .45acps?

I'm curious now because I've never heard of a magnum pistol round being equated to a service pistol round, but rather the opposite.  People trying to make service pistol calibers (i'm meaning 9mm, .40SW, and .45acp) as effective as magnum pistol rounds without the recoil seems to be the goal.

Or am i going on outdated information?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
You inserted that info in a thread that's morphing into "small bore trying to reach TMV (That Magical Velocity).
View All Quotes
What does he say about it? I did a quick google search but found nothing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:  So, getting back to magnum(ish) calibers:

Is there still a place for my .357mag and 10mm?  Or should i stick to 9mms and .45acps?

I'm curious now because I've never heard of a magnum pistol round being equated to a service pistol round, but rather the opposite.  People trying to make service pistol calibers (i'm meaning 9mm, .40SW, and .45acp) as effective as magnum pistol rounds without the recoil seems to be the goal.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:  So, getting back to magnum(ish) calibers:

I'm hoping that if we go to light enough bullets in service calibers and necked down service calibers, we'll get rifle quality wounds rather than just the drill hole effect of service calibers.  So if you have a 10x25mm Norma, get you a 9x25mm Dillon bbl and see how fast you can get really light bullets going - and what they do in deer, hogs, and gelatin.  You might not want to try really light bullets in your .357, you might get frame cutting a la the .357 Maximum.

Originally Posted By Zhukov:  Cool.

5.7 is still a crappy caliber.
It's too damn LONG!  .22 Mamba could be the shiznit, we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Kind of off-topic, but a big slug makes a big hole with a huge permanent crush cavity. You're basically talking a shotgun slug and it would be pretty devastating.
View Quote
Its just to show that a specific velocity shouldnt be a hard target but more fluid.

Will a 180gr .357 need the same velocity as a 5.7? A .44mag?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
A brief, paraphrased, but accurate summary would be:
TC (Temporary Cavity) typically starts to produce stretch injury around 2000 fps, but bullet diameter/weight can and does alter that. .44 mag, 45-70 and 12 ga slugs moving at much lower velocity can produce large amounts of stretch damage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Its just to show that a specific velocity shouldnt be a hard target but more fluid.

View All Quotes

Kind of off-topic, but a big slug makes a big hole with a huge permanent crush cavity. You're basically talking a shotgun slug and it would be pretty devastating.

That's why I threw in a smiley face wink.
The small bore, hyper velocity enthusiasts don't always have an appreciation of the big bore, heavy, slow bullet discussions. But they've been killing large things long before Mr. Roberts was born. He does a very good job of explaining why.
I like both, but big/heavy/slow works out a lot better for my uses.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:  Its just to show that a specific velocity shouldnt be a hard target but more fluid.

View Quote
As I understand it, the velocity IS a hard target.  We want to exceed the stretch velocity of flesh IOT make the temporary cavity permanent.  My limited understanding is, from .17" to 155mm, if a round impacts flesh below 2000-2100 fps, while the temporary cavity may be impressive and the round may tumble, the flesh tends to snap back and only leave the hole directly torn by the projectile.  Above 2100 fps, the temporary cavity opens so quickly that the flesh is torn outside the bullet's track, leaving a much larger cavity for blood to fill and more quickly lower blood pressure.

If I am wrong, then I'm barking up the wrong tree on high velocity pistol cartridges and will stick w/ 147/150 grn 9x19mm, and be happy w/ it.  But please illustrate where you think I'm wrong, with references so I can be convinced - and convince others.

We are coming to some interesting junctures in shooting - RDS are inexpensive and relatively easily installed on pistols, suppressors are becoming far more common, and even laser rangefinding computers built into optics are breathing new life into old, slow, heavy hitters.  I'm not yet convinced high velocity small caliber rounds are the future for pistols - but I am hopeful.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMilisock] [#25]

That's why I threw in a smiley face wink.
The small bore, hyper velocity enthusiasts don't always have an appreciation of the big bore, heavy, slow bullet discussions. But they've been killing large things long before Mr. Roberts was born. He does a very good job of explaining why.
I like both, but big/heavy/slow works out a lot better for my uses.
View Quote
Your concept big heavy and slow has worked for well over 100 years and for (I estimate) 99.9% of shooters will work for another 100 years. I certainly don't feel undergunned with a P14 45 on my side.

With that said the evolution of the technology available to the bad guy has produced 10's of thousands of potentials out there that have been trained to harden themselves and stand square to their opponenant and present the armored chest shot.

Having spent a lifetime shooting and reloading I appreciate the discussion, with the last 5 months recovering from surgeries with plenty of time to talk to old friends and doing research I've decided that I would sell off a won in raffle gun I had no use for and upgrade to a 21st century tactical side arm. Physics clearly dictates that the aim to center of mass tactic needs to go.

After lots of looking the 5.7 was eliminated, the effectiveness on soft targets at 7 yards was acceptable but not better than acceptable. The effectiveness on hardened targets is questionable, if you hit an unmotivated target you may be ok even if he's 250 lbs.  However a 130 lb motivated target may get to you before you can get 4 of 5 hits in that it would take.

Research shows that there are commercial ammunition choices that enhance hand guns from 38 special up to 45 ACP in this discussion.

However the choices of maximum energy on target from a rapidly firing handgun, in a package that has similar recoil to a full sized, full power load of a 45 ACP is met by the 357 Sig.

Yes on hardened targets you need to avoid the center of mass hold, that can be said even for rifle cartridges. However even when 357 Sig strikes do not penetrate non center of mass armor, debilitating and even fatal soft tissue strikes are the regular order of business.

Yes more powerful handguns can achieve those strikes but the question is can they do it in a package that produces rapid fire manageable recoil?

With all this I'm not giving up my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

As I understand it, the velocity IS a hard target.  We want to exceed the stretch velocity of flesh IOT make the temporary cavity permanent.  My limited understanding is, from .17" to 155mm, if a round impacts flesh below 2000-2100 fps, while the temporary cavity may be impressive and the round may tumble, the flesh tends to snap back and only leave the hole directly torn by the projectile.  Above 2100 fps, the temporary cavity opens so quickly that the flesh is torn outside the bullet's track, leaving a much larger cavity for blood to fill and more quickly lower blood pressure.

If I am wrong, then I'm barking up the wrong tree on high velocity pistol cartridges and will stick w/ 147/150 grn 9x19mm, and be happy w/ it.  But please illustrate where you think I'm wrong, with references so I can be convinced - and convince others.

We are coming to some interesting junctures in shooting - RDS are inexpensive and relatively easily installed on pistols, suppressors are becoming far more common, and even laser rangefinding computers built into optics are breathing new life into old, slow, heavy hitters.  I'm not yet convinced high velocity small caliber rounds are the future for pistols - but I am hopeful.
View Quote
If you believe Dr. Roberts is accurate, then Temp. Stretch damage occurs well below 2100 fps when caliber/bullet weight and bullet construction are proper. You get to decide if you recognize his stance or not.
I have no dog in the fight, but do have a need for defense against animals much larger than humans and that drives my interest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMilisock] [#27]

View Quote
I watched a video on Lucky Gunner which was a tour of Federal ammo they were shooting organic ballistic gel. If memory serves they stated that the tissue needed a strike of 2300 FPS to remain torn. The secondary wound channel or the lack there of as it used to be called is certainly something the M1 Carbine user has seen in practice. I've also seen it in 5.56 NATO hits exceeding 200 yards.

The M1 Carbine is effective in close but does not produce a secondary wound channel to speak of, the 5.56 is so small that without the secondary wound channel the effectiveness drops off considerably at range, at least it tumbles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Depends on the bullet shape and frontal area.

Weight helps bullets maintain velocity so that they can continue to create a larger temporary cavity over a longer stretch of track. I am not sure that weight does anything to directly contribute to a larger temporary cavity, though-it is not a variable in the drag equation.

If you are asking about shotgun slugs, most of them are likely capable of devastating temporary cavitation damage at close range.

Originally Posted By backbencher:As I understand it, the velocity IS a hard target.  We want to exceed the stretch velocity of flesh IOT make the temporary cavity permanent.  My limited understanding is, from .17" to 155mm, if a round impacts flesh below 2000-2100 fps, while the temporary cavity may be impressive and the round may tumble, the flesh tends to snap back and only leave the hole directly torn by the projectile.  Above 2100 fps, the temporary cavity opens so quickly that the flesh is torn outside the bullet's track, leaving a much larger cavity for blood to fill and more quickly lower blood pressure.
No, it's not a hard target. Projectile velocity alone is not the sole determinant of the temporary cavity expansion speed. 5.45x39 FMJ traveling at over 2800 FPS does almost nothing in flexible tissue, even when it yaws.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090219104944/http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Fackler_Articles/ak74_wounding_potential.pdf

Simply reaching the threshold also does not mean the entire temporary cavity is converted into permanent cavity, as the stretch speed decreases as distance from crush cavity increases. A bullet that just barely meets the mark would do practically imperceptible damage via temporary cavity. It would not compensate for a much smaller crush cavity, versus bullets that are much larger but produce a smaller temp cavity.

Furthermore the velocity benchmark isn't even anywhere near 2100 FPS for most handgun rounds anyway. Doctor Gary K. Roberts notes it starts around 1600 FPS for .357 SP sized projectiles. At 1900 FPS (around .30 carbine JSP levels) temporary cavitation wounding for such a bullet is fairly severe.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34904-Temporary-Cavitation-Wounding-Rifle-vs-Pistol/page2

For a .50 AE, that threshold would be substantially lower. On the flip side a .22 FMJ may have little effect at 4000 FPS.

What that means is that a 5.7x28 SP/HP would likely not produce any real temporary cavitation damage to the more flexible tissues, due to its lack of frontal area-and if it did, it would most likely underpenetrate by some notable amount.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 45custom:  No, it's not a hard target. Projectile velocity alone is not the sole determinant of the temporary cavity expansion speed. 5.45x39 FMJ traveling at over 2800 FPS does almost nothing in flexible tissue, even when it yaws.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090219104944/http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Fackler_Articles/ak74_wounding_potential.pdf

Simply reaching the threshold also does not mean the entire temporary cavity is converted into permanent cavity, as the stretch speed decreases as distance from crush cavity increases. A bullet that just barely meets the mark would do practically imperceptible damage via temporary cavity. It would not compensate for a much smaller crush cavity, versus bullets that are much larger but produce a smaller temp cavity.

Furthermore the velocity benchmark isn't even anywhere near 2100 FPS for most handgun rounds anyway. Doctor Gary K. Roberts notes it starts around 1600 FPS for .357 SP sized projectiles. At 1900 FPS (around .30 carbine JSP levels) temporary cavitation wounding for such a bullet is fairly severe.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34904-Temporary-Cavitation-Wounding-Rifle-vs-Pistol/page2

For a .50 AE, that threshold would be substantially lower. On the flip side a .22 FMJ may have little effect at 4000 FPS.

What that means is that a 5.7x28 SP/HP would likely not produce any real temporary cavitation damage to the more flexible tissues, due to its lack of frontal area-and if it did, it would most likely underpenetrate by some notable amount.
View Quote
Should we be moving to light for caliber 9x19mm +P+, .357 SIG, & 9x25mm Dillon, then?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:37:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#32]
Originally Posted By mgunner9:
If we accept Dr. Roberts evidence then we must conclude that  
•The .357 Magnum is identical in both ballistics and projectile to the .357 Sig
•That the .357 Sig is not superior (therefore equal or less) to the 9mm Parrabellum in performance
•Therefore the .357 magnum is equal to the 9mmP

I just don’t believe it!
View Quote
.357 Magnum's great performance is often a function of the longer barreled revolvers it's fired out of. Of the gel tests I've seen, .357 Mag starts getting impressive when it can really get its full velocity going. These shorter barrels all that extra powder results in is firing a flashbang, out of which comes a glorified 9mm albeit on a flatter trajectory. I dunno, articles' assertions make sense to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]

That chart doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
View Quote
I agree, tests on the newer ammo as well as older high velocity steel cases like 7.62 x 25 prove that
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMilisock] [#34]

Should we be moving to light for caliber 9x19mm +P+, .357 SIG, & 9x25mm Dillon, then?
View Quote
Tests that I've actually seen say yes. Spartan Armor level 3 can be cut with light weight non lead hyper velocity rounds as well as 7.62 x25 steel jacket.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMilisock] [#35]
Originally Posted By 45custom:

Depends on the bullet shape and frontal area.

Weight helps bullets maintain velocity so that they can continue to create a larger temporary cavity over a longer stretch of track. I am not sure that weight does anything to directly contribute to a larger temporary cavity, though-it is not a variable in the drag equation.

If you are asking about shotgun slugs, most of them are likely capable of devastating temporary cavitation damage at close range.

No, it's not a hard target. Projectile velocity alone is not the sole determinant of the temporary cavity expansion speed. 5.45x39 FMJ traveling at over 2800 FPS does almost nothing in flexible tissue, even when it yaws.

View Quote
It makes sense to me that the secondary wound channel threshold would vary per caliber.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Tests that I've actually seen say yes. Spartan Armor level 3 can be cut with light weight non lead hyper velocity rounds as well as 7.62 x25 steel jacket.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Should we be moving to light for caliber 9x19mm +P+, .357 SIG, & 9x25mm Dillon, then?
I don't give a rat's ass about armor performance.  I'm interested in a larger permanent wound than current service calibers provide.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Frost7:
.357 Magnum's great performance is often a function of the longer barreled revolvers it's fired out of. Of the gel tests I've seen, .357 Mag starts getting impressive when it can really get its full velocity going. These shorter barrels all that extra powder results in is firing a flashbang, out of which comes a glorified 9mm albeit on a flatter trajectory. I dunno, articles' assertions make sense to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Frost7:
Originally Posted By mgunner9:
If we accept Dr. Roberts evidence then we must conclude that  
•The .357 Magnum is identical in both ballistics and projectile to the .357 Sig
•That the .357 Sig is not superior (therefore equal or less) to the 9mm Parrabellum in performance
•Therefore the .357 magnum is equal to the 9mmP

I just don’t believe it!
Even 2-3" .357s are 2-300fps faster than 9mms using lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
If you're interested in a larger wound channel, then I would say no.

The major problems with these loadings is that:

1. It is difficult to achieve the right balance of expansion and penetration. Generally speaking, pistol hollowpoints that are traveling fast enough and expanding wide enough to cause temporary cavitation damage don't have adequate penetration.

2. Even if the threshold is reached, temporary cavitation damage is only likely to be observed in the first couple inches of the wound track. As the bullet slows down, its ability to push tissue aside will decrease.

3. Even with decent expansion, these bullets are not very large relative to other handgun calibers. Permanent cavity is a combination of crush cavity and temporary cavitation damage. Increased temporary cavitation damage may be counteracted by decreased crush cavity size.

4. If you have enough momentum going to counteract some of these issues (potentially doable with 9x25 Dillon), the recoil would likely be punishing.

Personally, I would say that if you are looking for stretch damage with handguns, it would make more sense to improve and refine fragmenting loads so that:

1) At least the base consistently penetrates over 12 inches

2) Fragmentation is reasonably deep and extensive

The Liberty Civil Defense is an example of a round that tried this concept, unfortunately execution is flawed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 45custom: 4. If you have enough momentum going to counteract some of these issues (potentially doable with 9x25 Dillon), the recoil would likely be punishing.
View Quote
I think w/ 9x25mm Dillon, we have a cartridge that has close to the powder capacity of .223, and we can throw from 50-200 grns.  W/ 50 grn bullets, the muzzle blast will be deafening, but the recoil shouldn't be that bad.  Even up to 90 grns the recoil should be less than a full house 10x25mm Norma.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  Switch to a rifle.

[ETA] Think about it: Even the .44mag isn't known as a instant man stopper. If it were just a matter of dumping more speed and mass into a handgun, then the .44mag would be the ultimate man stopper.
View Quote
Even rifles aren't instant man stoppers.  We need: a) CNS hit or b) sufficient drop in blood pressure absent c) psychological stop.  Pistols suck @ b, which is why I'm interested in an alternative approach.  I carry around a PCC, particularly when I can't carry a pistol, b/c I'm not yet convinced the Fold AR is worth the money.  What I would really like is a paired pistol & folding bbl rifle in the same caliber, w/ the same magazines, that gives me better performance than service pistol calibers at 100 yds or less.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMilisock] [#42]

I don't give a rat's ass about armor performance.  I'm interested in a larger permanent wound than current service calibers provide.
View Quote
You should see the results of the civil defence and the 7.62 x 25 on the body clay after penetration in the Spartan Armor tests. A huge soft tissue wound channel! I was surprised.

I am of the opinion that modern tactics will for the time being require dual magazine/ammo deployment.

I'm not sure that the ammo that produces armor penetration will produce 1.25 + caliber expansion in soft targets. The high velocity may in 355 calibers in 9mm x 19 or hotter or larger calibers produce some expanded secondary wound channel.

However 357 Sig 124 grain at 1450 FPS will produce effective wound channel in soft targets and incapacitating hits on amor that it does no penetrate.

If you're looking for positive and impressive secondary wound channels presently I think a rifle is the alternative. I'm not sure that impact velocities under 2,700 FPS is going to do it. I see it in some of my varmint loads close in at 300 yards a great secondary channel but at 500 yards the drop off shows with a reduction in that secondary channel.

The only instant stop is a central nervous system hit. However in responce to the Robert's data the 357 Sig requires max or near max pressure and that pressure mated to a proper projectile to be of better value than the 9mm ×p+. Notvsure Robert's did that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45custom] [#43]

I think w/ 9x25mm Dillon, we have a cartridge that has close to the powder capacity of .223, and we can throw from 50-200 grns.  W/ 50 grn bullets, the muzzle blast will be deafening, but the recoil shouldn't be that bad.  Even up to 90 grns the recoil should be less than a full house 10x25mm Norma.
View All Quotes

In theory the loading would have less recoil momentum than larger caliber rounds. In practice, I find that .223 FMJ has much more recoil than 9mm out of an AR, even though the momentum is pretty similar. Something about fast zippy rounds seems to give them a lot more kick than you'd expect-possibly a function of the time interval over which the impulse occurs.

50 gr is also not likely to be an optimal bullet weight for terminal performance. Even with .223 it tends to underpenetrate unless it's bonded or FMJ.

[ETA] Think about it: Even the .44mag isn't known as a instant man stopper. If it were just a matter of dumping more speed and mass into a handgun, then the .44mag would be the ultimate man stopper.
I think that's more because .44 magnum isn't generally used to stop men, and also the bullet designs are not really optimized for antipersonnel performance.

Something like this would probably be devastating on a thoracic cavity hit, although it may underpenetrate slightly.

Truth be it I think most calibers can be near-instant stoppers if you pump enough rounds into the chest cavity. While the IWBA has said that it would take about 5 seconds for someone to bleed out even if the aorta were totally severed, when one actually looks at the tilt test study used primarily to support that assertion, it can be read that 1) the blood loss occurred over many minutes rather than in the extremely short interval seen when a bunch of bullets are dumped into someone and 2) dizziness/fainting occurred near instantly once participants were positioned upright; there was no "oxygen in the brain" that allowed for extended clarity or consciousness. In fact most of us have experienced this personally when we sometimes experience dizziness or blurred vision when standing up quickly after lying down for a while; the detrimental effects of low blood pressure kick in immediately, even if the drop is pretty low, if the change occurs extremely rapidly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Even rifles aren't instant man stoppers.  We need: a) CNS hit or b) sufficient drop in blood pressure absent c) psychological stop.  Pistols suck @ b, which is why I'm interested in an alternative approach.  I carry around a PCC, particularly when I can't carry a pistol, b/c I'm not yet convinced the Fold AR is worth the money.  What I would really like is a paired pistol & folding bbl rifle in the same caliber, w/ the same magazines, that gives me better performance than service pistol calibers at 100 yds or less.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:  Switch to a rifle.

What's old is new again
Attachment Attached File

125gr barnes bullets at 2200fps from a 20" barrel
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 03RN:  What's old is new again
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_2020-02-10-15-13-19_png-1283650.JPG

125gr barnes bullets at 2200fps from a 20" barrel
View Quote
Yep.  Except I'm looking for sufficient performance out of a folding 16" bbl, that uses the same mags as the pistol - and preferably the same load.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top