Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:02:46 AM EDT
Here in Connecticut, fall is really setting in and it's now jacket weather.

I typically carry an XD-S appendix, but was thinking about trying an OWB under a jacket.

Does anybody else carry a different weapon, or different placement during the different seasons?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Some will argue ( with some justification) that keeping your gun and method of carry consistent year round promotes better potential results from practicing the same draw etc. and they are probably correct for most shooters.
When I lived in the northeast my go to guns were a seecamp 32 in the front pocket in shorts weather ( now using either a Glock 42 or ruger lcpII in that role since I moved to the almost year round warmth of Arizona )
A smith J frame in an ankle holster or a Glock 26 or 19 owb at 3-4 o clock.
With practice and awareness at least for me, changing guns or carry methods does not affect my ability to bring a gun into action quickly. I have however under match conditions seen people change guns and forget to activate safeties, have trouble with activating slide stops or mag releases, or induce malfunctions from grips that are fine on gun 1 but interfere with the controls of gun 2 and so on.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not change with the season. I will carry a different one while hunting and it will get carried while stopping for coffee or some such thing but that's about the only exception
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry 3 different pistols but all have the same manual of arms.  The only difference being light activation of the three.
G17 for winter since I can cover up better the grip with a jacket.
G19 for summer carry because the grip is easier to not print like crazy and the 17 gets hung up on my shirt way more in summer cloths.
G43 for work since I sit all day the smaller pistol is just more comfortable and the G17 is in my bag.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  G19 all day every day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I do, and not just seasonally.

The activity, location and clothing all play a part in what I choose to carry at that time.

G23
LC9s Pro
P3AT

Practice is important.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Are gunfights different in the summer?

No?

Why carry carry a different gun in the summer?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Seasons.. NO. Reasons .. Yes. Woods or edc for 2 legged threat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My dress stays pretty consistent regardless of system. I will say that summer can be more limiting for me.
I'll 'drop down' to a j-frame AIWB with just a t-shirt sometimes in the summer, but I typically like to have a layer between me and the gun due to sweat and body hair (hurts to rip out a handful while drawing).

Winter for me just means I get to carry what and how I want regardless because I'll always be able to.  Tucked in t-shirt, button up shirt buttoned up, and pants. That's pretty much my every day. These days usually carrying AIWB with the rotation including Glock 19, Roland Special, Glock 34, M&P45 and 1911. All with Surefire x300s on them.

But I do know people that will bust out the OWB holster and carry something different in the winter months.  For me, the weather outside doesn't change the fact that I'll largely be inside, with people, sitting and standing and moving around, so the weather doesn't help me with that. AIWB affords me the ability to carry pretty much whatever I want and conceal it well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here in Connecticut, fall is really setting in and it's now jacket weather.

I typically carry an XD-S appendix, but was thinking about trying an OWB under a jacket.

Does anybody else carry a different weapon, or different placement during the different seasons?
View Quote
of course.  I live in Michigan and have to.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
of course.  I live in Michigan and have to.
View Quote
I live in MI too and carry the same pistol (P320 Carry) in 90 degrees as I do in the single digit weather. So you don't have to. You choose to.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Winter, Summer I carry my G23 the same. OWB at 4 o'clock. What I do different in the cold winter is slip another gun (S&W 642) in my right hand coat pocket. Getting to the waist gun under all those layers of clothes would take too long. If my spydee sense tingles, I just slip my hands in my pockets. Doesn't set off any bells, and it gives me a warm feeling all over.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Concealed carry, year around, is IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock with either the P07 or P01 Omega.

Summertime I was conceal carrying around the house/garage/yard, etc. with the P01 Omega.  Winter time was a CZ85 in a drop leg holster where I could get to it without worrying about the jacket, sweat shirt, etc.  Just got a new XD .45 acp 5" Tactical and it will be my winter time, drop leg holstered around the house/garage/yard pistol.  Might even wear it that way next summer.  I hate sweating the P01 sopping wet two or three times a day.  Between the plastic frame and stainless slide/magazines the XD shuld be a better heat/humidity pistol.  The drop leg holster should help that, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
there are formal situations where my typical nylon fishing shirt coverup is not appropriate, and where there is a high probability that a sport coat will be too uncomfortable with unknown air conditioning quality, that my G43 IWB will be replaced by the LCP in a shirt pocket (where I have quicker access than in a trouser pocket)

with age you can get away with suspenders, and with suspenders the strap tends to hold a pocket holster in position in even a light weight shirt, and tends to further break up the outline... Columbia style nylon shirts are accepted in most semi formal situations down here in Florida... and I'll most likely be buried in one...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I do,   Having some extra around my waist does not allow me to carry IWB so OWB it is.   in the warmer weather I am a t-shirt jeans guy everyday, so I carry my XDs(soon to be Sig 365) which doesn't print a whole lot. in the cooler months like now I always have long sleeve flannels or other button down that I wear unbuttoned and untucked, this allows for me to easily hide a full size... this year it's a Glock 45, last year I carried a Beretta M9.
everyone is different and it's a personal preference, I make sure I shoot whatever gun I'm carrying at least 2-3 times a month. and because I use the same brand of holster with the same "cant" and carry in the exact same manner... the only difference when I practice my draw is the grip size difference.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I switch it up.

I prefer to carry my G19, but most times end up carrying my G26 because it hides better for me. Rarely do I carry my G17.

But when it’s cooler outside or I just don’t care who sees me printing, I’ll IWB carry my Sig Mk25 or a .40 cal P229.

I’m comfortable with any of them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nope.  G19 all day every day.
View Quote
This.  Same setup year round.  The last thing I want to do is mess with different carry setups and draws.

Find a setup that works for you whether you’re wearing a jacket or not and train a lot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Same EDCs year 'round.

I carry the guns I shoot the best- which to me is FAR more important than concealment.  P229, P320, USP, or Cmdr size 1911.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No?

View Quote
Do gunfights really happen that often?  No in the grand scheme of things and honestly we live in a very safe country where shoot outs and gun fights are extremely rare occurrences(contrary to the MSM).  Clothing changes with the season and many of us do not want to dress around one particular pistol but for me I want the manual of arms to be the same.  So I will not be switching between a Glock, a Sig P22x, than a 1911, or CZ.  As the temp tends to go up I tend to wear cooler clothes and as the temp goes down I add layers + jacket when it gets cold enough.  Yes I could carry a G17 year round but in summer clothes the shirt tail will get hung up on the grip and sitting down all day at work with a full size pistol stuck in my pants would just be way to uncomfortable.  I get that carrying a pistol has a certain degree of comfort associated with it but in the grand scheme of things I never deal in absolutes and no matter how much planning you set out and how much training you get you will never been 100% ready for the moment it happens to you.  You can prepare and have a good plan of action but honestly the weapon you have on you is not going to be the deciding factor in a gunfight.  The deciding factor will be your reaction and you thought process/analysis of the situation.  I could give the most elite competition shooter in the world his competition gun in a gunfight and the shooter could fall apart because they are a coward or lack the warrior mindset so no amount of gear will win the fight for them.  I am less concerned with the sidearm on my hip and way more concerned I have that mindset of doing what needs to be done.  I have seen guys fall apart the moment the first crack or whizz of gun fire coming at them.  This will happen to many of even the most elite keyboard warriors on this site they talk big game but have never been on the opposite side of a firearm being fired at them.  Human psychology is a weird thing and overcoming a flight response or fear is not easy for some people no matter how big a game they talk or how elite their sidearm is.  This is one of those situations where one has to call up their inner psychopath, forget about the shit in their shorts, and walk into a situation where a high likelihood exist they are going to get shot.  Lots of people are not going to be able to muster the courage to overcome the fear that they will most likely get shot if they choose to act.  So pistol choice for that day has very little with the outcome of a gunfight or active killer situation.  I am sure I might get flamed for this post but truth sometimes can be an eyeopener and one should evaluate their warrior mindset.  I think Jordan Peterson has a good piece on the psychology of preparing ones self to do violence.  He goes on to talk about you imagining what steps or what it would take for you to do really horrific things.  He gives an example put yourself in one of these asshole shooters situation what would it take to go wrong in your life that you could see yourself doing something like that.  The interesting and terrible thing is just how easy it could happen to someone.  Well the same goes for a defensive shoot what circumstances would it take for you to act.  If you were in a bank and a individual walks in and demands all the money from a teller are you going to kill someone over that most would probably avoid the shooting and just comply.  Why because no one is going to be physically harmed and the bank is insured.  Now modify that scenario where the guy walks in an kills a person right off the bat now the situation is different and you need to act but the question is can you?  That is why whatever sidearm you have that day will not be the deciding factor your mindset and psychological capability to act will be far more important.  A submachine gun would do me no good if I froze in a gun fight vs me having a Glock 43 that I was able to act with.  So I just cannot by into that the gun is the deciding factor and that your gun cannot change with the season or attire.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I pretty much always went with John Bianchi's law.... One gun, one holster, one carry method.

Science says that it takes about 5,000 repetitions to commit a movement to muscle memory.
If you only carry one gun in one manner and commit the draw to muscle memory there's not going to be any fumbling when your muscles forget which gun and carry method you're using today.

Do enough presentations to commit the draw to muscle memory and a draw becomes largely autopilot automatic.
There are sometimes situations where some CCW guns or holsters just aren't workable and you have to carry something else.
But constantly switching holsters, guns, and carry method can put you in a situation were you're desperately trying to "find" a gun in a location other then where it usually is, and trying to use a gun that works differently then you're used to.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
During the summer I normally carry a M&P 9C but in winter I upgrade to a full size M&P 40.  Both are carried  OWB in the same make and model leather holster so they are always in the same location and at the same angle.  I compete with M&Ps so switching between full size and compact; 9mm & .40 S&W is not a problem for me.  If I have to go places that I can not carry OWB I will put a Ruger LCR in a pocket.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Walther PPS in the summer.  Springfield Professional otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I switch my PPS from AIWB to jacket pocket.  I don't wear gloves so I stick my hands in my pocket... with my fingers wrapped around my PPS.  No one has ever been the wiser.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry a G30s pretty much 24/7/365. Printing isn’t ever really an issue. Even then, I really don’t care. People are oblivious to their surroundings. I’ll OC on occasion, and can count on one hand how many times someone seems to have noticed.

Generally, when the weather warrants a jacket, I’ll carry OWB. The rest of the year it mostly goes IWB around 3:30.

Now, I have been toying with Appendix carry. The 30s may not be the right tool for that job. Printing really hasn’t proven to be an issue. Again, not that I care. Comfort wise, I can’t find the sweet spot. Maybe a better dedicated AWIB holster would do the trick. Currently I have a AG Cloak 3.0. It’s great at 3:30. Not so much at Appendix. Even then, it may just be a little too large to be comfortable.

Good excuse to go look at guns
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#24]
This was really more of a curiosity question for me. If I did change it up to an OWB holster, it would have the same pistol in it (the XDS).

For what it's worth, I personally would not switch between an XDS and then a full size 1911. An officer 1911 to a full size, sure. Glock 30 to glock 19 or 17, sure. Same manual of arms. But that's just me.

And edgecrusher, I totally agree with your post, regarding the warrior mindset and being ready to get violent if needed in order to stop a threat, rather than taking the flight option.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do gunfights really happen that often?  No in the grand scheme of things and honestly we live in a very safe country where shoot outs and gun fights are extremely rare occurrences(contrary to the MSM).  Clothing changes with the season and many of us do not want to dress around one particular pistol but for me I want the manual of arms to be the same.  So I will not be switching between a Glock, a Sig P22x, than a 1911, or CZ.  As the temp tends to go up I tend to wear cooler clothes and as the temp goes down I add layers + jacket when it gets cold enough.  Yes I could carry a G17 year round but in summer clothes the shirt tail will get hung up on the grip and sitting down all day at work with a full size pistol stuck in my pants would just be way to uncomfortable.  I get that carrying a pistol has a certain degree of comfort associated with it but in the grand scheme of things I never deal in absolutes and no matter how much planning you set out and how much training you get you will never been 100% ready for the moment it happens to you.  You can prepare and have a good plan of action but honestly the weapon you have on you is not going to be the deciding factor in a gunfight.  The deciding factor will be your reaction and you thought process/analysis of the situation.  I could give the most elite competition shooter in the world his competition gun in a gunfight and the shooter could fall apart because they are a coward or lack the warrior mindset so no amount of gear will win the fight for them.  I am less concerned with the sidearm on my hip and way more concerned I have that mindset of doing what needs to be done.  I have seen guys fall apart the moment the first crack or whizz of gun fire coming at them.  This will happen to many of even the most elite keyboard warriors on this site they talk big game but have never been on the opposite side of a firearm being fired at them.  Human psychology is a weird thing and overcoming a flight response or fear is not easy for some people no matter how big a game they talk or how elite their sidearm is.  This is one of those situations where one has to call up their inner psychopath, forget about the shit in their shorts, and walk into a situation where a high likelihood exist they are going to get shot.  Lots of people are not going to be able to muster the courage to overcome the fear that they will most likely get shot if they choose to act.  So pistol choice for that day has very little with the outcome of a gunfight or active killer situation.  I am sure I might get flamed for this post but truth sometimes can be an eyeopener and one should evaluate their warrior mindset.  I think Jordan Peterson has a good piece on the psychology of preparing ones self to do violence.  He goes on to talk about you imagining what steps or what it would take for you to do really horrific things.  He gives an example put yourself in one of these asshole shooters situation what would it take to go wrong in your life that you could see yourself doing something like that.  The interesting and terrible thing is just how easy it could happen to someone.  Well the same goes for a defensive shoot what circumstances would it take for you to act.  If you were in a bank and a individual walks in and demands all the money from a teller are you going to kill someone over that most would probably avoid the shooting and just comply.  Why because no one is going to be physically harmed and the bank is insured.  Now modify that scenario where the guy walks in an kills a person right off the bat now the situation is different and you need to act but the question is can you?  That is why whatever sidearm you have that day will not be the deciding factor your mindset and psychological capability to act will be far more important.  A submachine gun would do me no good if I froze in a gun fight vs me having a Glock 43 that I was able to act with.  So I just cannot by into that the gun is the deciding factor and that your gun cannot change with the season or attire.
View Quote
But what happens when you and your warrior mentality run out of bullets in your G43 against 2 armed assailants?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#26]
The seasons are why GOD had Glock create the G43, G26, G19. And when it is cold enough to cover up a pack of Huskies and your dog sled, the G17/G34.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But what happens when you and your warrior mentality run out of bullets in your G43 against 2 armed assailants?  
View Quote
Well lets look first at the likelihood that will ever happen to me very slim.  Second I carry a second 8 round mag and if I have not figured out a way to flee 2 armed assailants I am probably screwed no matter what pistol I have.  Most times if planning was involved with a shooting the assholes most likely came armed with rifles which puts me or any other pistol carrier at a steep disadvantage I am not going to like that outcome.  I honestly do not care to engage an asshole wielding a rifle with a pistol unless I have the drop on them or no other option exist.  We can do what ifs all day but lets live in the real world for a second many people carry revolvers with 5 or 6 rounds and have been involved with a defensive shoot and won the day.  Tactics played a bigger role in their victory than the sidearm and their mindset that they were going to do what is necessary.  Not something I am perfect and I am going to have the perfect reaction far from it but I know I am capable of fighting.  Will I win who knows will the pistol I have on me be the determining factor maybe but most likely not.  Lots of videos on youtube for that matter where the tactics of the defense won the day versus the pistol used.  Look at the kid who tried to intervene in the WalMart shooting and was shot by the second assailant because his head charge after the first assailant got him in tunnel vision focused on the first shooter completely charging right past the second one to get shot down.  Lastly I carry knives with me two I could get very pokey slashy with if my pistol ran out or I was full mounted on the ground.  Not to forget I have been doing martial arts since I was a young lad around 10 or so and know how to grapple and fight on the ground.  I may not be a ninja but I do not put my full faith for defense of myself into my pistol just a hammer in the tool belt amongst other tools.

I am not saying carrying a higher capacity pistol is wrong by no means at all I normally carry a G19 but sometimes a G19 is not going to fit in my gym shorts or light clothing.  Or sometimes me and the lady are just going to the garden center to buy dirt or some new plant she wants and with all the bending over the G19 or G17 just gets in the way.  I also suffer from FUBAR discs in my back and the bigger pistols are quite painful to carry so I suck it up and stuff the G43 in my pants because I just do not want to deal with the pain of the bigger pistol in my pants.  Honestly it is better than putting no pistol in my pants 9 rounds in the pistol and 8 spare I think I am covered.  Hell if the situation is that shitty I will be fleeing to my vehicle to GTFO if possible where I have a shotgun and sometimes an AR ready to go.  Lastly I think tactics win over pistol any day having something is better than nothing and I do not live my life waiting for that day I get to pop p-mag and go.  But I do keep my situational awareness up so hopefully I can recognize a shit sandwich coming before it is on my plate ready to eat.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe I'm growing paranoid, but it seems like more *ssholes are shooting random places up, so I made the decision a year ago to stop carrying a convenient gun (J frame), and to carry a G30S. In the desert heat or cold, 4:00 in a JM Custom Kydex holster on a good gun belt. Set up with a flush G30 mag (9+1 rather than the factory 10+1),it's actually shorter in the grip than a G19.

I changed my wardrobe accordingly, so the shrunken, too tight shirts stay in the closet. I wear a wife beater behind the gun and usually a button up shirt untucked. If i do wear a t shirt, I make sure it's long enough for the job, and avoid light colors or clingy soft materials. Love winter because it makes dressing easier, but it ain't hard to dress around a good gun year round unless you are more concerned with looking like a diva

Not gonna be caught with a "summer gun" the day a meathead opens up in my movie theater!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree 100% with not switching back and forth between guns with different functioning systems.

It's one reason I carry mostly CZ's these days.  For years I carried a Colt Series 80, before that a Colt Combat Commander.  Without going into details on the plastic pistols prior to the P07 I chose the P07 because I can remove the decocking levers, install safeties and carry it cocked and locked.  Same manual of arms.  While there is a possible DA trigger pull with the CZ's, I don't carry/use it that way.  Cocked and locked.  Reliable, accurate, feels/fits well in my hand.

My winter carry (open carry) was a CZ 75 Compact with safeties.  This summer I switched to a CZ P01 Omega, with safeties.  Lately it's been one of those semi-rare XD Tactical 5" pistols with safeties.  While it doesn't group with the CZ's, the last time I had it to the range it shot better groups than the M&P or even the XDM 5.25" Competition 9MM.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Same gun all seasons.  Id carry something different if I'm in the woods, but not daily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No?
View Quote
Not seasonally, but locationally.

For example, concealed EDC in an urban area is my G29.

If I'm out hiking or camping in the boonies, it's my G40 or sometimes my S&W model 58 in a center-chest holster.

Where I'm at, and what I'm doing, is more determinative of carry mode than whether it's sunny or snowing. Weather does, however, impact how I might dress, especially for concealment purposes.

The center-chest holster is typically O.C-ed, or just covered under a zippered jacket.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I will admit to switching it up between a GLOCK 43 and a GLOCK 19 depending on the seasons. G43 for summer/t-shirt weather, G19 for winter/cold when I'm wearing a flannel or coat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I live in MI too and carry the same pistol (P320 Carry) in 90 degrees as I do in the single digit weather. So you don't have to. You choose to.
View Quote
Sorry Boss.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Although open carry is legal in OH, concealment is the most important aspect for me.

90% of the time my CCW is my 9mm Shield at about 4:00 in an Alien Gear leather hybrid (I can't remember the model name, the original with the leather backer). Comfortable, conceals very well and is sufficient for anything I should run into when off duty from my PD job.

Occasionally, if I have to wear tighter fitting dress clothes, I will carry my Glock 42. If I can wear baggier pants, I will pocket carry. If I have to wear more form fitting pants, I will carry it IWB, again at 4:00 or so. Conceals a LOT better than the Shield in these instances, but I'm not as comfortable carrying it as I am my Shield. I shoot it VERY well, but the low capacity and .380 caliber don't make me feel warm and fuzzy like the 9mm Shield does.

Once it gets cold and I can wear heavy layers, I'll occasionally carry my full sized M&P 2.0 9mm duty gun, again IWB and at about 4:00 o'clock. It's big enough that it doesn't conceal nearly as well as the Shield, but under heavy winter clothes, it conceal well enough for me. The only trouble I have found with the 2.0 is that, even after I gently took some sandpaper to the grip texture, it is still rough enough that I have to tuck my t-shirt in to keep the grip from sanding off the skin on my side. I love the texture when shooting, but it makes carrying IWB challenging.

All the above guns are close enough in their manual of arms that I'm comfortable with them, especially since they are, basically, carried the same way and in the same position.

I have toyed with AIWB a little but find it isn't anywhere near as comfortable as carrying at 4:00 o'clock. I'll freely admit that I haven't tried a dedicated AIWB holster, but I don't want to spend $75.00 or more for a dedicated AIWB holster unless I really think it will work. It's a Catch 22; from what I'm reading, AIWB isn't comfortable or as concealable without a dedicated AIWB holster, but I can't justify buying that holster unless I think it will work. I wish I could find someone around here that carries that way and would let me borrow a holster for a few days to try it out. I'm intrigued, but I wont spend the $$$ unless I think it will work.

Bub75
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
My EDC is a CZ 2075 RAMI BD all year.  Normally, I carry iwb at 4:00 with a 14 round spare magazine at 11:00 iwb.  Usually, I use the 10 round flush magazine in the pistol.  But if clothing permits, I carry a 14 round magazine in the pistol.

I just ordered a paddle magazine carrier and holster for the winter when I am wearing a jacket and won't be removing it.  I will still carry in the same locations, but owb.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I carry a Glock 19 most of the year.  During winter I do sometimes carry a Glock 20 or 21. Easy to hide the bigger gun under a jacket.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I carry a Glock 19 most of the year.  During winter I do sometimes carry a Glock 20 or 21. Easy to hide the bigger gun under a jacket.
View Quote
This !! Glock 20 OWB in winter and Glock 19 the rest of the year IWB
and my quick throw in the pants run to the corner store gun is my S&W 442-1
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I carry a 1911 about 80% of the time followed by a Smith and Wesson m64, then a Beretta M9A1 Compact, then a g19. Once my M19-3 is fixed I'll be carrying that a lot more.

I switch it up between aiwb kydex and 4 o'clock horsehide iwb, or 3 o'clock owb for field and competitions.

I practice drawing from concealment nearly everyday after work and shoot drills from the holster every week.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Primary CCW is a Ruger LCR (due to an injury). Usually OWB at 4 o’clock

In the cold weather I will move it to a front jacket pocket for easier access and may wear my M&P 45 OWB depending on what I’m doing or where I’m going.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Jeff Cooper said a defense pistol needs to be comforting, not comfortable.

My Rules For A Defense Pistol:

1. Something you WILL carry at all times, ALWAYS.
If the gun is too big and heavy, or the holster is too difficult or time consuming to put on, sooner or later it'll get left at home while you just run down to the local Stop 'N' Rob.
I've been told by a man who KNOWS that the absolute worst feeling in the world is to suddenly realize that you're in a really bad situation and the gun you REALLY REALLY NEED is at home on the dresser because it was too heavy or inconvenient to put on.

2. Powerful enough to do the job reliably.
People's ideas on this vary, but picking the most powerful you can handle well is usually the best idea.
The flip side of that is avoiding the Dirty Harry hand cannon calibers that are too slow on follow up shots.

3. A quality, reliable gun.
NOTHING else matters as much as that it's reliable.
Not accuracy, not power, not cosmetic appearance, not personal ego or likes, nothing else.
It makes no difference if it's a $8,000 custom gun made by the greatest gunsmith in the world and can put a bullet into a key hole at 100 yards, if it doesn't fire EACH time and EVERY time it's absolutely worthless as a defense gun.

A piece of personal safety equipment is not the place to save a few bucks. Buy the very best you can afford.
Worrying that an expensive gun will be lost to the police is foolish.  If you ever have to actually use a gun, loosing the gun will be the absolute least of your problems.
I've never said to myself; "Gee if ONLY I'd bought the cheaper gun".
It doesn't have to be a total custom model costing thousands, but it should be the best quality production gun you can afford.  
If all you can afford is a less expensive gun, see 3-A "Reliability test" below and pay attention.

3-A. Reliability test.
The gun, magazines or speedloaders, and ammunition must be reliable.
There's only one way to know this and that's a reliability verification test.  Hardly anyone ever does this.
This is taking a clean, properly lubricated gun and magazines or speedloaders, and the SAME ammunition you'll be carrying in it to the range and firing at least 100 rounds at combat speeds.

With modern defense ammo that's expensive.  
Question on cost of test ammunition:  How much money is your life worth, and how cost effective is using cheaper ammo that you won't be carrying in the gun?
A reliable gun you can trust should fire 100 rounds, using all magazines without a single failure.  
If it fails to do this, either figure out why, or discard the ammo and try something else, and if necessary discard the gun.
See Number 3 above.

4. High "usability".
It has to be something that you can use quickly and effectively, and hit reliably.
That means something that you can draw and hit the target fast with no fumbling. That rules out now obsolete guns like the usual single action derringer types.
This means you have to put the gun and yourself through a validation process to insure that you really can use it effectively.
A gun that's too large for your hand, too powerful for you to control, has controls you have trouble using, or a gun too small to get a firm shooting grip on does not meet your personal usability needs.

The only way to know is a Real World honest shooting test.
This goes with 3-A above.  You do both at the same time.  You're validating the gun, ammo, magazines or speedloaders, and yourself.
Some of this shooting should be done at Zero feet, close enough that you can touch the target to see how well you can get the gun out and bullets on target without using the sights.
A good technique to develop a verification test is to consider the "Most likely" circumstances your situation and life style might put you in that would require shooting.
Ask yourself HONEST questions like "Would I ever need to shoot at 50 yards"?  "25 yards"?
"What are the chances I could be getting into a car and someone suddenly steps up right behind me"?  
"If I have three punks facing me can I effectively shoot all three before they're on me"?
"What if I'm carrying a big bag of groceries through a parking lot or into the house.  What do I do if someone attacks"?
Playing these "what if" mental games can help prepare for situations.  If you've already thought of a situation you probably won't choke up.

5. It has to be fast into action.
That means an effective holster or carry method that the gun can be drawn from fast with no hanging up on clothing or a pocket.
Whatever carry method you use, the gun must stay put through a long day and be in the right place if you need it.
It should not require cocking, operating a slide, fumbling with a balky or poorly placed safety, or have pretty looking but hard to hold on to grips.  
It must have fast to use sights.
You should be so familiar with the gun and holster and where it is that drawing it requires no conscious thought.
As in the other post, 5,000 repetitions commits a movement to muscle memory.  Once committed to muscle memory you're on auto-pilot.  You don't have to think about it, it just happens, and the gun "appears" in your hand.

6. You should have a reload for it, and the reload has to be fast to use and easily and quickly accessible.
If you're going to stick a magazine or speedloader in a pocket, you'll need to clean it often to remove lint and grit.

7. It needs to have a good lubricant that stays put, doesn't dry out, evaporate, run off, or otherwise leave the gun dry.
A grease or thick type oil is ideal for a defense gun because it stays put and will last indefinably in a carry gun.
Check the lubricant often.

If your chosen defense gun and carry method fail any of the above, without any loyalty whatsoever to a piece of equipment you should discard it and try something else.
People allow their egos to interfere with too many of these rules.  You have to be dispassionate about this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#41]
My main CC pistol is a G27.  If I'm beltless and wearing gym shorts a G42 doesn't weigh my light shorts down.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Different carry for different seasons? Absolutely! I'm assuming were talking weather/climate changes. I myself would find it boring to carry just one model 365 days out of the year year after year. Many do and I respect that. If that was the case for me why would I want to own other models? Glad we have choices. I either use a Browning Hi-Power (35+ years of ownership), Glocks (only a 3 year owner but they all work the same), and wheel guns (37 + years of ownership). That's pretty simple carry. Glad I have options for the seasons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I carry 3 different pistols but all have the same manual of arms.  The only difference being light activation of the three.
G17 for winter since I can cover up better the grip with a jacket.
G19 for summer carry because the grip is easier to not print like crazy and the 17 gets hung up on my shirt way more in summer cloths.
G43 for work since I sit all day the smaller pistol is just more comfortable and the G17 is in my bag.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127189/IMG_4757_jpg-729783.JPG
View Quote
I think that's an excellent strategy.  I have pretty similar methodology except I do 19 for thick jacket weather and did 43 and 42 for the other 90% of the year.  Currently selling the 43 and sticking to just the 42.

I also only carry appendix (unless at the gym or something) with LLOD associate holsters.  19 and 43 were light bearing 42 isnt.  But I'll add another 42 associate here soon, to be light bearing as well
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think that's an excellent strategy.  I have pretty similar methodology except I do 19 for thick jacket weather and did 43 and 42 for the other 90% of the year.  Currently selling the 43 and sticking to just the 42.

I also only carry appendix (unless at the gym or something) with LLOD associate holsters.  19 and 43 were light bearing 42 isnt.  But I'll add another 42 associate here soon, to be light bearing as well
View Quote
I believe it works in theory but I have never had to shoot anyone to put it to the test which is a good in and of itself.  It works fine on the range.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I use a 1991A compact in hot weather but switch back to a full size in winter.

Since the functional differences are very close to zero it does not matter.

I completed The Gunsite 250 class with the compact.

Minus one day with an instructors gun when the front site went walking.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I do, and not just seasonally.

The activity, location and clothing all play a part in what I choose to carry at that time.

G23
LC9s Pro
P3AT

Practice is important.
View Quote
I agree with the above. Only difference is what the guns are.

P226STE
P229STE
G43 or SW 638
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No?

View Quote
You wear the same clothes year round?

Smaller gun is often easier to conceal in lighter clothing.

I do not mind carrying a full size 1911 OWB in winter since I have a longer heavy coat on already.

In summer IWB so that even a long shirt can cover.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#48]
If carry is limited by work attire, understandable.
However, some limit their carry by attire when they don't have to.

I dress as I want, loose untucked shirt, have no trouble carrying full size 1911 all year, plus 2nd option pistol in pocket. Threat merits the same ASAP incapacitation potential year round, regardless of location or light.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I do not mind carrying a full size 1911 OWB in winter since I have a longer heavy coat on already.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No?

My 1911 conceals just fine with a t shirt.

Here I am with it at 1 o clockAttachment Attached File

Of course my 5 year old nephew found it with his face when he ran into me. Most other people don't have there head in that area.Attachment Attached File

There I am in shorts and a t-shirt with a a 5 inch 1911 and a reload.

One of the easiest guns to conceal
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I have come to really like carrying my G26 AIWB
And the fact that it holds 12 HST’s is comforting.
I like it so much that all my other handguns are safe at home while I’m out and about
The only thing I switch up lately is in the winter I carry a larger spare mag because I can conceal it easily under fall winter clothes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top