Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2022 11:54:12 AM EDT
Since the FBI's credibility has been kinda sketchy here of late , is their analysis of the Baldwin shooting valid ? I have a number of single action revolvers ,and the only one that has no transfer bar is my Freedom Arms model 83 premier grade  in 454 Casull . So my question is did it have a transfer bar or not ?  https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/13/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-forensic-fbi-pulled-trigger/
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter. FAB pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
FABulous
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree dipshit pulled the trigger we knew that then and now again.  Just admit you pulled the trigger by your own dumbass mistake.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since the FBI's credibility has been kinda sketchy here of late , is their analysis of the Baldwin shooting valid ? I have a number of single action revolvers ,and the only one that has no transfer bar is my Freedom Arms model 83 premier grade  in 454 Casull . So my question is did it have a transfer bar or not ?  https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/13/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-forensic-fbi-pulled-trigger/
View Quote
There are plenty of completely period-correct firearms, which did not have transfer bars back then, and wouldn't have them today.  It's entirely possible the firearm did not have a transfer bar.

But with or without a transfer bar, the only way that sort of shooting occurs is with human input / human error.  The fault lies squarely on Baldwin.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't matter transfer bar or not, neither a Colt SAA or a FA 83 will go off without cocking the hammer and pressing the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Deets I recall at the time was that it was a true SAA clone, a Pietta w/o a transfer bar.

That made me want a Pietta,  so I got one last spring. I call it my “Baldwin blaster.”
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
No transfer bar.

It was reported a Pietta Clone of the Colt SAA.

Most likely the Frontier.

I have one and contrary what people regurgitate as fact, they can and do have hammer fall without the trigger being pulled.

The hammer hooks and hammer safety notches break easily, as well as a worn trigger nose that can slip off the hammer hook unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No transfer bar.

I have one and contrary what people regurgitate as fact, they can and do have hammer fall without the trigger being pulled.

The hammer hooks and hammer safety notches break easily, as well as a worn trigger nose that can slip off the hammer hook unexpectedly.
View Quote

Strangely enough, I've never, in 40 years of shooting SAA's, seen this happen with a Pietta

Closest thing I've seen were hair-trigger level pulls due to soft parts in ASM guns ....but only in the full cock hammer cut.....not in 1/2 or 1/4
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't matter, the POS pulled the trigger.  He knows it, everyone who's ever owned a single action revolver knows it and apparently even the keystone cops have managed to figure it out.  In addition to numerous major safety violations leading up to this, at the very least it's negligent homicide and at the most it's premeditated murder.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The Pietta he was using does not have a transfer bar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are plenty of completely period-correct firearms, which did not have transfer bars back then, and wouldn't have them today.  It's entirely possible the firearm did not have a transfer bar.

But with or without a transfer bar, the only way that sort of shooting occurs is with human input / human error.  The fault lies squarely on Baldwin.
View Quote

NO doubt about it ,human error for sure.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No transfer bar.

View Quote

I have seen some older Piettas that looked sketchy.  I have seen prop guns that looked really sketchy.  Given this was a bargain basement production, I wouldn't be shocked if the prop guns were crap.  So I didn't immediately discount the low probability that the gun could have had the hammer drop and set off a round.  Esp. a clone of an 1873 Colt, not like the original lock work was renowned for durability and you weren't supposed to carry it with a live round under the hammer.  And it's an Italian copy and lesser tier Pietta which were kinda rough new if its an older one.

Not really sure what to make of this, would like to see the original FBI report.  But sets off the primer to make the noise but not launch the bullet is top tier reporting:

"The only thing the hammer COULD do when de-cocked and then directly struck on its own (without pulling the trigger) was detonate the primer.  That essentially means it could set off the actual gunshot sound itself, without discharging a bullet, according to the FBI -- but that's obviously not what happened in AB's case."
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
No, it doesn’t but it’s irrelevant.  It’s said a Colt revolver (or the clone in this case) spells it’s own name when cocked, C O L T with each click the hammer makes when cocked.  C is the click of the trigger on the safety notch.  O is the trigger passing the half-cock notch.  L is the cylinder bolt locking into the cylinder.  T is the trigger engaging the full-cock notch.  
For the cylinder to line up the primer with the firing pin, the cylinder bolt would have to pop up into the notch which happens shortly before being fully cocked.  If this doesn’t happen, the cylinder tends to roll backwards as the hand retracts as the hammer is lowered.
But let’s say dumbo cocked it far enough for the bolt to engage the cylinder notch but not far enough to go into full cock and released the hammer without being locked at the full-cock position and never touched the trigger.  The nose of the trigger still has to pass over the half-cock notch and the safety notch before striking the primer.  Now let’s say that work was done on the trigger or was damaged that the hammer wouldn’t stay at the full cock position or was so light that the hammer could be pushed forward by hand off the trigger nose.  You still are going to have forward movement stopped by these same 2 notches on the hammer.  
Now of course this is all dependent on the revolver being in proper working order with no damage to the trigger nose.  However, this should be fairly obvious with a quick functions check that should take less than a minute rather than the 10-months it took the FBI to conclude that it was in good working order and functioned the way it should.  Bottom line is that he pulled the trigger, period!
Now as far as transfer bars go, the reason they came about is on the originals, if the hammer was completely lowered, the firing pin is now resting on the primer of a live round and a sudden shock to the hammer when dropped for instance, can result in the weapon firing.  The 2 common solutions here are either to rely on the safety notch (remembering that any safety device can fail) or the more common method of “load 1, skip 1, load 4, fully cock the hammer and lower it down on the empty chamber” which turns your 6-shooter into a 5-shot gun but can in no way discharge a round if dropped.  The transfer bar simply allows you to safely load 6 rounds with a live round under the firing pin without fear of a discharge as the transfer bar physically blocks the firing pin from making contact with the primer until the trigger is pulled.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, even on a real Colt SAA the notches can break off, usually due to mistreatment of the gun. But once a notch is broken, it can't catch the hammer again so the FBI would have easily found that in their testing, and they didn't. I personally think that Baldwin put his finger in the trigger and pulled it when he first picked the gun up, and just held it that way for a better grip. When he pulled back the hammer, it of course immediately fell as the trigger had already been pulled. Total failure on Baldwin's part.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, even on a real Colt SAA the notches can break off, usually due to mistreatment of the gun. But once a notch is broken, it can't catch the hammer again so the FBI would have easily found that in their testing, and they didn't. I personally think that Baldwin put his finger in the trigger and pulled it when he first picked the gun up, and just held it that way for a better grip. When he pulled back the hammer, it of course immediately fell as the trigger had already been pulled. Total failure on Baldwin's part.
View Quote

That is absolutely the case. Remember, they were filming this. They have released footage of him doing that with his finger in the trigger guard.

His defense now is, “I did not need to use gun safety; I hired an unqualified young woman to make sure it was unloaded.”

His prior defense was, “I did not have my finger on the trigger, it was the gun.”  Once the video contradicted his lie, he had to change his story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top