Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2020 9:39:42 AM EDT
I picked up a new Desert Eagle XIX a couple months ago and noticed it has a pretty blatant false reset right out of the box. This happens during dry and live fire. Is this normal? Every YouTube review I've watched or review I've read never mentioned it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My chrome xix deagle had a pretty terrible trigger.
Gritty, and pretty much a single stage.

In the end it turned out to be the finish on the hammer.
I used a fine stone to smooth it out and played with the adjustment until i was happy.

I also found nothing about it online...
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gibbles:
My chrome xix deagle had a pretty terrible trigger.
Gritty, and pretty much a single stage.

In the end it turned out to be the finish on the hammer.
I used a fine stone to smooth it out and played with the adjustment until i was happy.

I also found nothing about it online...
View Quote

Not sure if any of this applies to my situation. I made a quick 25 second video to show the reset on my trigger. There is an audible and tactile release of trigger tension at a point just before the actual trigger reset. If I pull the trigger at this point I get a trigger with light spring tension that does nothing until I let out to the actual reset point. The false and real reset points are so close together but I've been tripped up at the range trying to go for precise follow up shot and getting nothing instead of a bang because of it.

https://youtu.be/gA3WkSOA_Z4

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#3]
I got my DEP and messed with it for a few minutes. I cannot replicate your issue. At first I thought you didn't pull the slide back far enough and perhaps that is screwing things up, but no matter how little once the hammer is down, it makes a single reset.

Now, this might not mean your stuff is broken. Especially if you bought it brand new. My question is did you mess with the trigger in any way? The DEP has an adjustable trigger on it and perhaps it is adjusted too much. Your manual would cover how to adjust the trigger, but check out this page:

http://www.zvis.com/dep/depmantmpl.shtml?/images/guns/depman/depman13.jpg

Also of look is when you dissassemble and you hold the frame do you notice two ears sticking up? This is what would allow the trigger to reset each pull. Also checkout the channels of the trigger. The trigger is similar to a 1911 one where there are two bars pushing rearward. I just wonder if something is stuck in it or rubbing it. It's around your grip. If you opened the grip or something, perhaps something is touching or rubbing the bars.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Aphex:

Not sure if any of this applies to my situation. I made a quick 25 second video to show the reset on my trigger. There is an audible and tactile release of trigger tension at a point just before the actual trigger reset. If I pull the trigger at this point I get a trigger with light spring tension that does nothing until I let out to the actual reset point. The false and real reset points are so close together but I've been tripped up at the range trying to go for precise follow up shot and getting nothing instead of a bang because of it.

https://youtu.be/gA3WkSOA_Z4

View Quote

Yeah, I can't repro your issue.
I have the same brushed chrome finish
My trigger was a joke for the price.

Tons or research wasted, ended up stripping the trigger pack and running some fine grit stones over any friction area.
And then played with the adjustments until I was somewhat happy.

I also lubed everything with "slide glide" grease when reassembling.
Trigger is still slick and smooth 1 year later.

not an easy task with the lack of info out there...
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
I got my DEP and messed with it for a few minutes. I cannot replicate your issue. At first I thought you didn't pull the slide back far enough and perhaps that is screwing things up, but no matter how little once the hammer is down, it makes a single reset.

Now, this might not mean your stuff is broken. Especially if you bought it brand new. My question is did you mess with the trigger in any way? The DEP has an adjustable trigger on it and perhaps it is adjusted too much. Your manual would cover how to adjust the trigger, but check out this page:

http://www.zvis.com/dep/depmantmpl.shtml?/images/guns/depman/depman13.jpg

Also of look is when you dissassemble and you hold the frame do you notice two ears sticking up? This is what would allow the trigger to reset each pull. Also checkout the channels of the trigger. The trigger is similar to a 1911 one where there are two bars pushing rearward. I just wonder if something is stuck in it or rubbing it. It's around your grip. If you opened the grip or something, perhaps something is touching or rubbing the bars.
View Quote

I haven't touched the trigger in any way, shape, or form and the false reset was present right out of the box (new gun). The ears stick up. I replaced the factory grips with Hogue G10 panels but the false reset is present with both grips. I wasn't aware the Desert Eagle had an adjustment in the hammer pack (I should read the manual closer heh) so I'll look into that next. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe your trigger came from the factory out of adjustment... that looks like what happened to mine in the early 90's when I adjusted my trigger without understanding how it works and what it adjusts.
I agree that it could also be something going on with the trigger bar... like being SLIGHTLY bent and binding a little, or a burr on it.  On stamped and laser cut parts like that that, I break the corners to .003 radius with a micro-file or even a Dremel Tool once you understand what is going on.

Please do share what you try and the effects of such... I am curious now.  I am going to get a new trigger group and install it to see if I can replicate your issue with incorrect adjustment.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aphex] [#7]
I played with the setscrew in the hammer pack but the false reset is still there. I tried going both directions with the setscrew but I never felt any real difference in the trigger either way. I also completely detail stripped the frame and everything looks good to me. I'm did not see or feel any burrs and there is next to no wear on the trigger and trigger bar itself that shows signs of rubbing. I guess I'll have to just deal with it and remember its quirks at the range.

As a side note: Is there a trick to getting the slide stop spring reinstalled easily? Holy hell was that thing giving me fits until I finally maneuvered it into place. Funny how a tiny spring on a gun that big can turn out to be the most time consuming part of putting it back together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Say what you want about keltec, but having a few pistols in the past taught me a ton about how to get a gun running smoothly.

Pay special attention to where the trigger bar goes into the frame, see if there is anything sticking etc.

A Dremel with the felt buffing bits can go a long ways, but don't go crazy especially if your a novice.

If all else fails, the issue might be in your trigger pack it self.
My issue was there in the trigger pack, not much out there on how to disassemble it...

I found a YouTube video that covered the basics, from there i just needed to polish the sear surfaces to fix my trigger.
Your issue is different than mine was.
One option is to work with customer service, probably a better option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top