Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2018 9:43:47 AM EDT
Have a Desert Eagle 50AE on the way, 6" barrel and will be adding a red dot or scope to it. Looking for suggestions on how to carry it for hunting? I have a Galco Kodiak for my 460 and 500 S&W and didn't know if there was anything similar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
2 hands  
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
With a hunk of metal like that I would go with some sort of chest rig.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a hunk of metal like that I would go with some sort of chest rig.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
With so much freedom coming out of the barrel you need something heavy to sit on the barrel to prevent rise. I'd suggest a perched Bald Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to hunt with a 6" 44 mag DE.  I used a chest holster.  It is comfortable and keeps the pistol readily accessible while walking.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
In all seriousness I recommend two things: getting a holster and a shooting stick. Nearly every DE caliber is useful in hunting at some capacity.

Don't walk around with a pistol in your hands. I recommend only loading when you're in the area you wish to hunt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I already hunt with a 500S&W and other large handguns, I was hoping someone had a lead on a chest holster for this one.
FWIW someone suggesting the Bandito Rig from Pistol Packaging for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I know magnum research seeks a few branded holsters for it, but I don't know who makes them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I went and looked at my old DE branded holsters and they were Uncle Mikes Sidekicks. I recently got a leather chest rig but they don't seem to have models that fit red dots or scopes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Magnum Research offers several holsters for the Desert Eagle. I have a Desert Eagle holster that I purchased from Magnum Research. The quality seems a little cheap and the leather a little flimsy. I have a shoulder holster that I purchased from Mernickle holsters, their model SH5VREF1, which he custom made for me. He even went out and bought a new Desert Eagle pistol just to be able to make the holster for me. The Mernickle holster just seemed like better quality leather than the chintzy Magnum Research shoulder holster. If you want a chest holster, Mernickle also makes the model SH7, which, unlike the shoulder holster does not have magazine pouches. It takes about 6 weeks for Mernickle to make the holster and get it to you. If you still want a chest rig, you can also try El Paso Saddlery for their  model 1942 Tanker Holster which is their copy of the old WWII military chest holster for the 1911 pistol, which they will make for other pistols like the Desert Eagle. I know, I have one. The quality of the Mernickle holsters and the El Paso Saddlery holsters are top notch.

Link to Mernickle holsters

Link to chest holster

Link to El Paso Saddlery

Link to Desert Eagle holsters from Magnum Research

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top