Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:01:12 AM EDT
I was watching a video a couple weeks ago and the fellow (not US ) showed what he said was the Euro/Czech way to decock one of the pistols without a decocker. He laid his off-hand thumb between the hammer and frame and pulled the trigger. After the sear released that tiny bit, he let go of the trigger, THEN lifted his thumb allowing the hammer to ride down the digit and rest at half cock. Letting go of the trigger first let the firing pin block safe the gun before removing the physical barrier in front of the hammer. The hammer never just fell as his thumb slid up.

I have to say I was pretty gobsmacked. So simple, yet extremely safe and easy. Beats the heck out of the cowboy or pinch methods where the grip on the hammer is all that keeps the loud noise away.
I tried to see if one could mess it up. I really don't think even a Democrat could.

Every American I have ever seen did the pinch or cowboy. Odd.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I was on the battalion combat pistol team in 1978.  That's how they taught us to decock our 1911A1's.

Lock the slide to the rear.
Insert a loaded 5 round magazine (the rules).
Point the pistol towards the ground at a 45 degree angle.
Push the slide release down to let the slide move forward and chamber the round.
Put your left/support hand trigger finger between the back of the slide and the hammer and pull the trigger.
The hammer falls on your finger.
Get your finger off the trigger.
Remove your support hand trigger finger from the back of the slide.
Holster the pistol.
Stand there waiting on the commands to start the stage of fire.

I thought it was silly as hell but I wanted to shoot so I did it.  And vowed I'd never carry a 1911a1 into combat with a 5 round magazine and the hammer on half cock.

The CZ's have the thumb safety as well as the firing pin block safety (have to pull the trigger to move the firing pin block upwards so the firing pin can go forward far enough to striker the primer).  I carry mine cocked and locked, just like my 1911.  Yeah, I know, a CZ75 is DA/SA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the method is the safest way but why drop the hammer on a loaded chamber?  Cocked and Locked is a thing for a reason.  If you want to decock why not get a decocker model?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah the method is the safest way but why drop the hammer on a loaded chamber?  Cocked and Locked is a thing for a reason.  If you want to decock why not get a decocker model?
View Quote
Safety models have better triggers. Double action is a thing for a reason too.
Every Guntuber that shows a CZ with a safety (or a Tanfoglio) shows the dangerous method of decocking. I thought y'all would like to see the better way.
Tanfos, Tristars, Canik55s, and Sarsilmaz "tribute" guns all have safeties as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Safety models have better triggers. Double action is a thing for a reason too.
Every Guntuber that shows a CZ with a safety (or a Tanfoglio) shows the dangerous method of decocking. I thought y'all would like to see the better way.
Tanfos, Tristars, Canik55s, and Sarsilmaz "tribute" guns all have safeties as well.
View Quote
I mean I kind of get it but at the same time I do not get it.  If I got a safety model I would go cocked and locked.  I got decocker models because I prefer the decocker no safety.
Reason I do not get it why would you want to give up the SA the whole purpose I think of the safety model is to have the SA pull.  Honestly I am in a logic infinite loop.  I like DA first pull on hammers but the SA is awesome to have all the time.  I guess that is why I get starting with a P226/8 as my first hammer DA/SA pistol.  Then you have the 92/M9 where going safe decocks and locks the trigger.  Then CZ where you can cock and lock like a 1911 but can drop the hammer and have a DA trigger.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
In competition, typically your first shot needs to be DA. All the comp CZ's are safety models. So there's that.

Blocking the hammer with a finger is how I've always done it. I don't trust just holding the hammer back and easing it down.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In competition, typically your first shot needs to be DA. All the comp CZ's are safety models. So there's that.

Blocking the hammer with a finger is how I've always done it. I don't trust just holding the hammer back and easing it down.
View Quote
Yeah I have seen guys doing that before in competition.  I have decocker models so I have always done decock.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t understand why you would do it any other way
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don’t understand why you would do it any other way
View Quote
If you went by youtubers you would only see pinch grip or cowboy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Shadows do not have a FP safety and in comp have to be decocked all the way, not to half cock.  Rolling your thumb out is the only acceptable way to do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I imagine you haven't been to a USPSA match. There are pinchers out there, but thumb sideways and rolled out is what you typically see, and we have to ride the hammer down to the frame.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I imagine you haven't been to a USPSA match. There are pinchers out there, but thumb sideways and rolled out is what you typically see, and we have to ride the hammer down to the frame.
View Quote
I am one of those pinchers, you can call me a dumberman pincher.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I still see the pinch method used in the youtube videos I have seen, done by match shooters. It is match shooters doing reviews, not videos of matches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My thumb isn’t particularly meaty so I pinch and lower as well. Done it thousands of times without issue as have most of the guys I shoot uspsa with. Ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top