Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2022 6:15:24 PM EDT
It's a 686. Stainless, 4", 7 shot.  Looks like a Hogue rubber grip.  It's in excellent condition but we would like to know when it was made.  Not so easy as a Ruger to look up the SN.  I don't know much about S&W.  Can anyone tell me when hers was made and if it's some Frame designation?  SN DCR583x .  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
K frame, I believe
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
No help here. I have one of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson books , 4th edition.
It shows a bunch of DC* prefixes from 2005 thru 2008 , but none of them are DCR. If I was going to hazard a guess , it would be 2008. That is where most of the DC* 's are.
For sure it is an L-frame , Model 686 : Distinguished Combat Magnum Plus is the full name in the book.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No help here. I have one of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson books , 4th edition.
It shows a bunch of DC* prefixes from 2005 thru 2008 , but none of them are DCR.
For sure it is an L-frame , Model 686 : Distinguished Combat Magnum Plus is the full name in the book.
View Quote

Thanks!  After 5-6 hours of research I have found that narrowing down a date of manufacturer for S&W revolvers is a near impossible task.  It's so easy with a Ruger.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
686+ if it is 7 shot. It is a relatively new model.
It is an L frame but the grip frame is the same size as a K and an X frame.

Solid built revolver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
686+ if it is 7 shot. It is a relatively new model.
It is an L frame but the grip frame is the same size as a K and an X frame.

Solid built revolver.
View Quote

Same thing I was thinking. I have a S&W 686+ 7-shot SS 4" barrel .357 magnum L-Frame. Bought it in 2014 if I remember correctly? Has the internal lock (or Hillary Hole) on left side. Rubber grips. Great revolver that I've shot once or twice, but carried numerous times as a hiking companion. Bought it on sale in the mid $550 range. Prices have spiked on new ones the last 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
K L frame, I believe
View Quote

K and L are the same size for the grips but not the frame opening.

686 is definitely an L.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
686 is an L-frame.

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I can’t help but nice choice, that’s a solid revolver!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It's an L-frame. Open the crane, look on the flat for a number like 686-X, where X will be another number, like 6 or 7, etc..  That indicates the engineering change, or manufacturing changes that differentiate it from the original 686 "no dash."  With that 686-X number you should be able to better identify the range of years it was made.  It most likely has the safety key hole, aka Hillary Hole, near the cylinder latch and is the latest iteration of the series.  

Congratulations on a fine revolver!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's an L-frame. Open the crane, look on the flat for a number like 686-X, where X will be another number, like 6 or 7, etc..  That indicates the engineering change, or manufacturing changes that differentiate it from the original 686 "no dash."  With that 686-X number you should be able to better identify the range of years it was made.  It most likely has the safety key hole, aka Hillary Hole, near the cylinder latch and is the latest iteration of the series.  

Congratulations on a fine revolver!
View Quote

Hers is 686-6
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't have access to my Standard Catalog of S&W but according to wikipedia the -6 changes to the 686, basically the internal lock, was incorporated in 2001.  There is a -7 but it may be a Performance Center model only.  

If no one here is able to help with the date, you may want to ask here

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I really think the 686 is one fine revolver. I own a 6" and a 2 7/8 , always thought 4 or 5 might be nice also .

If the purpose is other than self defense I would consider a spring kit . The stock S&Ws generally have a pretty good feel but with the spring kit they come alive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top