Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2022 9:51:26 AM EDT
Local pawn shop told me they just got in a Dan Wesson revolver with 4 barrels in the original box, guy said it was made in the late 1970's. Since it just came in he can't put it out yet, but took my number and said he would call when it was ready for sale. Anyone have an idea what it might be worth? I have no idea of the condition of the gun, but I think I want it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dan Wesson made 4” revolvers with fixed sights similar to a S&W model 10/13.   Dan Wesson also manufactured revolvers with inter changeable barrels.   The fixed sight DW had matte finish but most models with adjustable sights had polished blue finish.   Without more specific information there is no way to give an estimate.

Posting pictures really help in determining approximate value.   In my area DW revolvers are rather uncommon.  S&W, Colt, Ruger, Charter Arms are more commonly encountered in local shops.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Dan Wesson has a small but intensely loyal following.  Like the 10mm. It's an interesting design that struggled to gain traction in the market place.  It's niche in recent years has been pistol silhouette matches.  They have a reputation for outstanding accuracy.

They are not common.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one.  In all my shooting career, 50+ years, I've only known one person that owned one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not 100% up on prices, but about 10 years ago complete guns were $500-$700 depending on condition and barrel length. The 6" barreled guns seemed to be more popular. Individual barrels with shrouds seem to go for $200-$300+ depending on condition. Pistol pack sets with multiple barrels and the barrel tool would go for $1200+.

Check out Dan Wesson Shroud Types "Pork chop" barrel shroud guns seem to be less popular price wise.

Check out EWK Arms for spare parts and the barrel install tool and gauges. The original tools seem to bring extra money, but are relatively fragile especially compared to the well made EWK install tool you can buy new.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
.44 Mag I would expect to be worth more than other calibers, but OP left out that detail.  A friend had one and it was a tack driver.  A co-worker has one, but not all of the barrels.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't help with values, but I've owned a Dan Wesson 15-2 4" since 1976.  When the superb blue finish got damaged I had it satin nickeled.

I carried it on the job for about 4 years. It's always shot very well and now has many, many thousands of 38's and 357's through it.

Some were sold in packs with 4 different barrels in 2, 4, 6, and 8 inch lengths.  There were also different shrouds available such as with a heavy underlug or a vented rib like a Python.

It's a well made solid accurate gun.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.44 Mag I would expect to be worth more than other calibers, but OP left out that detail.  A friend had one and it was a tack driver.  A co-worker has one, but not all of the barrels.
View Quote

I guess I should have mentioned that it is a .357 magnum.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My son's a lefty, so I got him one year before last.  I think you're looking @ $1500 & up, OP.  Take a look at Gunbroker, see what Pistol Paks are going for, I think it was called.  Comes in a locking small suitcase w/ all 4x bbls.

Dan Wessons tend to be very accurate as you set the bbl cylinder gap when you install a bbl, and if clean, you can crank it down to the width of a redheaded female virgin's pubic hair.  Triggers are nice as well, as befits a revolver from the Wesson family - yes, that Wesson family.

Dan Wesson discontinued the revolvers before they were acquired by CZ, and CZ reintroduced them for all of a hot minute.  Parts & bbls are available on the used market, however, and bbls can be made.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Dan wheelguns are awesome. I have a monsoon model 15-2 357.

Dan wesson revolvers are very very accurate with a very good tunable trigger. They are also built like tanks and are very strong guns.

Just to double tap what others have said.

they have interchangeable barrels for different lengths and styles. The barrels are also tensionable. Grips are one piece easily swappable (many styles to choose from).

Trigger is adjustable for over travel. Has a doa setting if desired.

Side note: user mis adjustment to cylinder gap (too small), and or user over adjustment to trigger overtravel will cause timing or trigger return issues. This causes many dan wheel guns to be sold as broken, for cheap,  even though nothing is actually wrong with them. Lol.

Most Dan 357s are model 15 (fixed sights) and 15-2 (adjustable sights) 1970s make and later.

1960s older dan 357s are model 14 and 14-2 they have a different shaped shroud over the swapable barrel that resembles a pork chop in shape.

Cz still does a small run of new 715-2 357s every few years. These new guns go for around $1200 last i checked.

Older dan prices are dependent on condition and configuration. i have in the past couple of years seen them go from $400 (15-2 6" w/ holster wear) to $2k (15-2 w/ 100% oroginal blue with rare 8" ported shroud and scope mount).

Hope that helps op.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I owned one for about 2 years..   Out of that 2 years, it was continually back at the factory because it wouldn't work properly. The revolver would bind up if I tried shooting more than one cylinder of ammo.  Even when the barrels were adjusted according to specifications, the revolver would bind up.  The factory had the pistol for 18 of the 24 months, because I returned to the factory on five different occasions in attempts to get it working properly.  

I kept every receipt because I had to pay for shipping both ways.  The receipts showed the time line of when I had the revolver, and when it was shipped back for repairs.  After the fifth trip to the factory, I took the revolver and the two extra barrels I bought back to the sporting goods store where I purchased it and requested a refund.  At first the sporting goods store said "no refunds", but after I spoke with the owner, showed him all my receipts, and he could see that out of 24 months I only had possession of the revolver for 6 months, I got a refund.

Granted, that was when Dan Wesson revolvers first came out, so the factory may have had teething problems.  The Dan Wesson 1911's currently enjoy a good reputation, but I wouldn't buy a Dan Wesson revolver from the early years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I owned one for about 2 years..   Out of that 2 years, it was continually back at the factory because it wouldn't work properly. The revolver would bind up if I tried shooting more than one cylinder of ammo.  Even when the barrels were adjusted according to specifications, the revolver would bind up.  The factory had the pistol for 18 of the 24 months, because I returned to the factory on five different occasions in attempts to get it working properly.  

I kept every receipt because I had to pay for shipping both ways.  The receipts showed the time line of when I had the revolver, and when it was shipped back for repairs.  After the fifth trip to the factory, I took the revolver and the two extra barrels I bought back to the sporting goods store where I purchased it and requested a refund.  At first the sporting goods store said "no refunds", but after I spoke with the owner, showed him all my receipts, and he could see that out of 24 months I only had possession of the revolver for 6 months, I got a refund.

Granted, that was when Dan Wesson revolvers first came out, so the factory may have had teething problems.  The Dan Wesson 1911's currently enjoy a good reputation, but I wouldn't buy a Dan Wesson revolver from the early years.
View Quote

Well that sucks. I assume you have messed with your trigger over travel screw.

Adjusted to min overtravel, the trigger will not stay cocked and be DOA. If adjusted beyond min specs hammer will not drop at speed.

When adjusted within proper over travel spec its a very nice crisp trigger tuned for what ever your uses are.

Adjusted to max over travel the weapon fires fine but has alot of over travel. BUT IF BEYOND MAX SPEC FOR OVERTRAVEL the trigger sometimes binds and fails to return, when beyond normal adjustment range this also causes the hand to either bind or over extend causing timing issues which sometimes appear like cylinder binding.

Quick trigger screw adjustment solves this of coarse.

If the problem persisted despite trigger screw adjustment with the barrel at .06 or greater cylinder gap. I would have  recommended taking the side plate off and checking your hand spring which sometimes wears out over the years. ( spring is like $5). I would also have checked for rough machining marks on the inside of the frame, and if desired LIGHTLY polish the inside of the hand channel and contact points of the internals (JUST ROUGH SPOTS, dont go through the case hardened shell on the FCG), as some early dans had some rough spots inside the frame.

This problem sounds like a trigger screw user misadjustment issue though to be honest.

Its prolly worth noting that monsoon and earlier dans had the overtravel screw on the trigger, and the would eventually wear against the frame where they made contact, thus changing the setting (requires readjusting). Later dans have the screw mounted directly on the frame for this reason.

Sucks you weren't able to get it sorted tho.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t know if it was worth it, but I saw a man plunk down 3K for the DW Revolver in a 5 barrel set in a fancy DW travel case. He was downright giddy when counting out the Bennys. From the looks it was a Factory package type deal from snobby to I’d say a 10 inch silhouette barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t know if it was worth it, but I saw a man plunk down 3K for the DW Revolver in a 5 barrel set in a fancy DW travel case. He was downright giddy when counting out the Bennys. From the looks it was a Factory package type deal from snobby to I’d say a 10 inch silhouette barrel.
View Quote

Probably a good price.

Model 15-2 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel is a $450 gun.  

Full 4-barrel pistol pack with factory original case can go for over $2000.

Those 10 or 12" silhouette barrels can go for over $800 for just the barrel.

Add money for a 715 (stainless) version.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Probably a good price.

Model 15-2 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel is a $450 gun.

Full 4-barrel pistol pack with factory original case can go for over $2000.

Those 10 or 12" silhouette barrels can go for over $800 for just the barrel.

Add money for a 715 (stainless) version.
View Quote

I think your base price is more than 3 years out of date.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Best factory trigger in a revolver.

Have .22 and .357.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top